Pinball FX3 bounces off

Bing bang bong, let’s pin it on. Today brings the launch of Pinball FX3 [official site], a update version of Zen Studios’ pinball platform which boasts updated graphics and multiplayer features including user-created tournaments. As is customary, Pinball FX3 is a free download with one table included then Zen sell dozens of extra tables as DLC. For those who balled pins in FX2, most — but not all — of its DLC tables carry over into FX3 and are prettied-up. New Jaws, Back to the Future, and E.T. tables have launched as DLC alongside FX3 too.

Pinball FX3 brings new prettiness to the ball-o-rama, including dynamic lighting, improved shadows, and higher-resolution textures. It also packs online multiplayer tournaments, both those created by developers and by players, and several singleplayer challenge modes.

Zen Studios mostly create new tables based on licensed franchises, everything from Alien and Bob’s Burgers to Bethesda games like Fallout and Skyrim (which our Adam reviewed). If you’re after recreations of actual physical pinball machines, Pinball Arcade is likely more your bag.

I find myself drawn to the pinball tables in several local pubs and cannot resist sinking a couple quid every time, but virtual pinball doesn’t really do it for me. I’ve had a go on the table included free with Pinball FX3, Sorcerer’s Lair, and sure it’s fine but I probably won’t return much. Pinball isn’t the same in cyberspace. That’s fine, of course – driving games don’t replicate the feelings of driving cars either.

Pinball FX3 is out now on Steam. The download comes free with one table, and extras cost £2 or thereabouts each. It’s also on the Windows 10 Store, if that’s your bag.

1. Stirbelwurm says:

We had a small community and did some group challenges the old fashioned way (with screenshots).
    The third game makes this way easier! So if anymore is interested, join us here for some games.

Don’t worry, this is a pretty casual community :)

• AngoraFish says:

Ah, them’s were the days! I now have a solid group of Steam friends thanks to RPS and Pinball FX2. Definitely need to get back into the game now that tournaments are a thing.

• Moth Bones says:

That group is where about 75% of my Steam friends came from; it was a good little game craze.

FX3 is probably too much for my laptop, but I’ve been playing a bit of FX2 recently and it’s still very good fun. If you think you might like this you probably will imo.

wonderingmonster says:

Virtual pinball on PC isn’t really my thing either, but I like it a lot on mobile. It makes for short sessions, lots of variety and replayability with a high skill ceiling and few of the F2P-style annoyances you see in other mobile games.

zigguratvertigo says:

Is Taboola no longer a thing? Please say Taboola is no longer a thing.

4. racccoon says:

I had the shuttle pinball machine fixed it up and had loads of fun with it..till I sold it :(

5. dystome says:

Ah good, the Portal one made it in. Might as well give it a throw for £0 then, eh?

6. mercyRPG says:

Zen Studios is in my home country and they have been doing pinball games for at least 20 years. I’m glad, I rejected their job offer. I bet they will be creating pinball games for the next 20 years as well: an excellent pension plan for their employees. Most game companies rise and fall, but Zen is constant and still kicking.

Comment on this story