Assassin’s Creed Origins adding tourism mode

Assassin’s Creed Origins [official site] has lavishly recreated (and reimagined) large chunks of Ancient Egypt so we can stab men to bits amidst beautiful scenery. But wait, if you simply wish to admire the world without getting into scraps or being nagged about objectives, that will be an option. Ubisoft today announced that they’ll add a free-roaming ‘Discovery Tour’ mode to Origins after launch, letting players explore the whole world “free of combat, storyline or time constraints”. It’ll also include guided tours from historical experts. For this occasional video game tourist, it sounds splendid.

Discovery Tour will arrive in Origins through a free update expected to launch some time in early 2018. Today’s announcement explained more about the tours:

“In addition to the ‘free roaming experience’, the The Discovery Tour by Assassin’s Creed : Ancient Egypt will also offer guided tours that focus on different aspects of that time period (the Great Pyramids, the mummification, Cleopatra, Temples and priests, Daily life etc) and also a little about the science of Egyptology and how the team integrated this into the immersive world. Like in a museum, each tour will be composed of several stops (e.g.: the different states of the mummification process) that will bring information on each specific subject. Tours have been curated by specialists that helped us bring a more academic knowledge to the experience. It will be possible to explore Egypt with several different avatars, which will mostly be unlocked by the completion of tours.”

This does sound great. Assassin’s Creed games have such wonderful worlds but they can be difficult to enjoying explore when missions and guards keep interrupting.

I’ll be so glad to get to pay appropriate attention to worlds that are crafted with such care. Ubisoft senior level artist Caroline Miousse dedicated two years to making the Notre-Dame for Assassin’s Creed Unity. Two years on one building. Two years!

Assassin’s Creed Origins is due on October 27th. Ubisoft are cutting it close if they intend to announce the traditional PC delay they do so like to give their open-world collectathons. Gosh, might they intend to launch this on time? That would be nice, as Adam’s Assassins Creed Origins preview from E3 quite liked what he saw.

1. Seafoam says:

Great, this will be just like when all gaming channels were trying to pass For Honor as historically accurate depiction of the factions.

Jazzing history up to make it cooler is fine, but marketing it as actual history makes me weep.

Ninja Dodo says:

Um, no. Events and characters have always used extensive creative license to the point of being a bit silly (everything is one conspiracy etc), but the settings have always been extremely faithful recreations, aside from fudging scale for playability.

Ninja Dodo says:

And you seem to have missed the part where this is a separate thing from the obviously fictional main-game.

I don’t believe I’ve ever seen anyone claim that For Honor was intended to be in any way historically accurate.

• Seafoam says:

Well yeah of course. What I’m saying is that the art direction and designs emphasize awe and aesthetics, not faithful historical representation.

These sorts of things always end up feeling like youre reading a textbook on english middle ages while watching Monty Python’s Holy Grail.
          Sure the textbook is educative, but dont try to tell me that the movie is so. It’s just a personal grievance of mine.

• hungrycookpot says:

The Assassin’s Creed team has always put a good amount of time and effort into doing research to build an accurate depiction of the time and place it’s set in. Of course they take artistic license with the story and characters, and they’re pretty clear about that what with the magical alien artifacts and stuff.

2. Zorgulon says:

The cities have always been the best part of AC, so this could be interesting.

I’d like to see more games turn their hands to recreating historical time periods.

3. Nimdok says:

See, this makes me interested in actually playing this one. I skipped Syndicate and Unity because I was tired of the formula. The last one I really played hard was the Yar-Har edition, and that was mostly out of nostalgia for Sid Meyer’s Pirates.

DuncUK says:

I personally see this as a clever bit of marketing… Ubi know that the city recreation is one of the best aspects of their games. By announcing this tourism mode they’re planting the thought in our minds that this recreation of Egypt is so detailed and well crafted that we’ll just want to wander the streets while taking in the view… without actually having to say that explicitly, which would seem overly boastful and a bit crass.

4. heretic says:

This is a really good idea, I loved learning about the places the ACs were set in.

5. Jenuall says:

I’ve not played an Assassin’s Creed game since AC2 but I did quite enjoy the tourist/history aspect of that game – the way it would tell you snippets about some of the main landmarks in the cities was fun.

• DEspresso says:

On the utube there is a channel called ‘History Respawned’ where the Host talks about the AssCreeds with appropriate scholars, which might interest you.

Ninja Dodo says:

I love this. I kind of want them to go back and add this mode to all the games.

Side note: What happened to the edit button? Something seems to be broken with the comment system.

7. foszae says:

Honestly, sounds more interesting than the typical AssCreed plot and gameplay.

8. AutonomyLost says:

That’s a genuinely cool idea.

9. BaronKreight says:

Sounds good. We’ll see how it goes.

10. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

I like the sound of that.

11. monstermagnet says:

I was on the fence with this one, but this has given me a strong push over the edge. Very cool idea. Now I’m excited for it!

12. Great Cthulhu says:

This is actually the most exciting AC news I’ve heard in years. AC’s recreated worlds are amazing. Way beyond what most academic projects can afford. I’d love to get an in-depth tour through them by an expert on the period. Might be reason enough to buy to game, to be honest.

13. satan says:

I like the idea.

14. ffordesoon says:

Love this idea so much. So much.

Comment on this story