Run ‘n’ gun Float ‘n’ gloat in LawBreakers free weekend

Law! Huh! Yeah! What is it good for

There’s no escaping the dread howl of the free weekend. I don’t know if gravity-averse hero shooter LawBreakers [official site] is any good but Sam liked it, calling it a “rock solid shooter”. If you want to know if he’s telling the cold, hard truth or a tepid, soggy lie, you can find out for yourself from 6pm today. It recently added a deathmatch mode and a new map, so it looks like you’re going people-shooting at the right time.

Here’s a trailer by developer Boss Key Productions which shows a policeman talking enthusiastically about the different guns he uses to kill people, which is, uh, probably not the motif I would have used.

I think I preferred their silly trailer which riffed on Guardians of Galaxy, playing upbeat pop music over an action sequence. Anyway, here’s a bit of what Sam had to say about the shooter:

… when two teams clash there’s fireworks, with abilities flying everywhere. Admittedly these indoor fights are not as flashy as the aerial ones outside, but they’re still impressive. Guns are punchy, movement is responsive and animations are slick. And because of the small team size you can have a real impact: a well placed EMP from the Enforcer can really halt an enemy push, for example.

The floaty zero-g blasting sounds particularly fun, with whole sections of the map dedicated to flooping about like a trigger-happy superperson. If that sounds good to you, you’ve got from 6 o’clock this evening until Monday October 2 to get killin’. You can find it on Steam.

1. Bobtree says:

LawBreakers is a fun fast game, and I highly recommend trying it. IMHO, it’s this year’s Titanfall.

• Anti-Skub says:

So, a well executed but sort of forgettable shooter with not enough depth or content to maintain peoples interest. The kind of game you’ll play for a week and then stop playing, but wont be able to pin down exactly why you lost interest. So you’ll end up reinstalling it in 6 months and spend 10 minutes matchmaking, only to realise that everyone else who bought it lost interest almost immediately as well?

…sounds about right.

2. Mumbles says:

On the same weekend of the COD beta? Yeah, that’s going to go over well. Boss Key really sucks at timing or so it seems.

particlese says:

Some claim there’s not much overlap with bloppers, especially without a ranked mode (I can’t speak for them personally, having never really played CoD myself), but they certainly did a good job of avoiding the free days of the structurally more comparable Overwatch last weekend. They released the new mode, map, and class balances then, too, so they even got some good testing done.

3. qrter says:

Supposedly their playercount has been regularly dropping to double digits, so I guess a free weekend may be in order.

particlese says:

Yep, the daily off-peak pop has gotten down to the double digits for a few weeks, now. Peak hours are more like 150-200, with 50-100 more during the weekends’ peak hours, and last weekend’s additions did help a tiny bit.

It’s been enough for me to have fun in the evenings (mostly weekends), but yeah, hope the free period helps bolster interest a bit more significantly than the latest patch.

particlese says:

Something useful to know is that, at least as of last weekend, if you select quick match and end up in team deathmatch, you’ll be playing team deathmatch in that one beta map until you leave the matchmaking lobby. Hopefully they’ve fixed that by now, but if not, or if you know you don’t care about deathmatch, just use the objectives-only quick match option. I suppose a sticky objectives lobby is also possible, and in that or the “need deathmatch” cases, there’s a corresponding deathmatch-only button.

Have fun! And try jumping and shooting yourself around in the sandbox tutorial thingy for a while if the fast movement techniques and/or gunplay options aren’t quite clicking during the more frantic pvp action. It’s not a combat-complete sandbox by any means, but it covers movement experimentation pretty well, which is my favorite aspect of the game.

5. Dilapinated says:

Holy heck.

I had to watch that video after the description just to see if it was real. I don’t expect Cliff Blezinski to have his finger on the pulse of cultural trends, given that the poor man’s trapped in a time-vortex somewhere in the mid-90s, but “rampant police violence” isn’t exactly a new issue, just one that’s reached an all-time high in terms of recognition and people standing up against it. So.. Wow.

I’d really like to be optimistic, to say it’s probably just Auteur-syndrome, and everyone else in the office was too nervous to take Belinski aside and give him a brief history of the last 15 years.

But going by the rest of the marketing so far, it probably seemed like the perfect Edgy Xtreme angle to take.

• Unclepauly says:

I don’t think a single player cares about the backstory

• Dilapinated says:

The backstory.. Was not what I was talking about, remotely. You might want to reread my comment, have a little think, and try again.

• MisterFurious says:

Yeah, no shit. Cops kill over a thousand people a year in America and that’s how those douchenozzles want to sell their game? Cliffy B always struck me as an arrogant twat. I’m glad this game is failing.

• Vilos Cohaagen says:

Wow. That video is… wow. I’m going to be generous and guess it wasn’t meant to be hideously offensive, but that means it is incredibly inept like apparently every other element used in marketing this game.

I can only imagine this some kind of tax dodge thing like in Mel Brooks’ “The Producers”.

Surely there’s a musical in this?

6. Banks says:

Even with the free weekend there is not even 500 people playing it right now.
    This is dead.

• Axolotl says:

Definitely. I’ve considered picking it up for a while now, but this game having no players despite the free weekend is the last nail in its coffin.

particlese says:

954 as of 16 minutes ago. Not plubkbat quantities, but enough to have a lot of fun unless it’s not yer bag anyway.

7. DanMan says:

You have to install a stupid launcher and make an account for it, right? Pass.

• scorza says:

It’s just Steam-based, no launcher that I’ve seen

particlese says:

If by launcher you mean Steam or the main menu, and if by account you mean a tracked in-game record based on your Steam name and any Twitch account you optionally connect, then yes. Otherwise, it has less of that stuff than Blizzard and EA fare, and even less launcher than default Skyrim, for a slightly more absurd example.

Comment on this story