QWOP creator unveils cauldron man in Getting Over It

I'm trying but it hurts

We’ve taken our QWOPs and our GIRPs, like all growing youngsters should, but can we really say we are healthy, well-balanced individuals until we have tried to climb a mountain using only a sledgehammer while stuck in a cauldron? That sounds like a rhetorical question, but it is not. Getting Over It [official site] is the next game from Bennett Foddy. And while it does away with the naming convention of his previous 2D stumblers, it still looks like a game that simulates what it feels like for your hands to be drunk while the rest of your body is sober. Here’s a video.

In my eyes, nothing will surpass the majestic misanthropy of the GIRP bird, but cauldron man is a hero to whom we can all certainly relate. Who among us has not been stuck in a large pot intended primarily for stew? Nevertheless, I asked Foddy: why a cauldron.

“I knew I didn’t just want his legs hanging out there, not doing anything,” he said. “And it’s not so strange, historically speaking: Baba Yaga used to get around in a mortar, and of course the ancient Greek philosopher Diogenes used to live in a clay pot. It just takes a lot of core strength.”

He insists that he made this game for a particular type of person (ie. “to hurt them”) and that is a deceptively reassuring sentiment. There have been many disciples of the Qwoppist philosophy – Octodad, Surgeon Simulator, Gang Beasts – but it is good to see more tongue-biting awkwardness from one of the original perpetrators of the “your limbs are stupid” genre.

It’s due out October 6, as part of Humble Monthly, the bundler’s $12 per month subscription thingy, or just wait until it comes out on Steam on an undetermined day in December. Generally though, these bundles are decent, and you can buy a single month rather than subscribing forever.

I also asked the creator why he keeps making games where the controls are out to get you.

“I’d probably resist the idea that it’s the controls killing you,” he said, “rather than your own incompetence.”

Godwhacker says:

Looks like a very strong ‘bestest best of 2017’ candidate

2. Dominic Tarason says:

Had a word with Mr Foddy himself, and he confirmed my suspicions –
    this is pretty much an remake of Sexy Hiking, a gloriously odd artifact from the early days of Game Maker, only shirtless and now inherently sexier.

• anon459 says:

I just gave that game a quick playthrough and it was very good. It was much easier when a realized there was a quicksave/load function. I’m pretty excited for this game now. Also, a map editor would go great with this concept.

• Buggery says:

I thought so. If I’m not mistaken the trailer is an almost perfect 3D recreation of the very first part of the first level (and about as far as most will ever have bothered to play) of Sexy Hiking.

3. Spacewalk says:

Sexier Hiking.

4. Urthman says:

I’ve seen some good game trailers in 2017, but that might be my favorite. I’ve watched it five times and laughed every time. The music, his tone of voice, the shirtless dude in a pot. It’s so perfect.

“success is delicious”

5. Dreylin says:

Putin in a Pot?

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Polygon put up a video of this game earlier today and it does some really interesting things. As you are playing, the dev gives commentary on why he made the game frustrating and the music only comes in when you’ve fallen back a huge section.

Comment on this story