Red Dead Redemption 2 trailer introduces its cowboy

Dead or alive please but not both

Howdy, etc. A new trailer for Red Dead Redemption 2 [official site] has been revealed by Rockstar games, showing off  a little more of the wild west and introducing protagohero Arthur Morgan. We’re not allowed to get excited about this, because it hasn’t been officially announced for the PC yet. But my gizzards are telling me you want to know anyway, just in case those rustlers up at Rockstar have the grace to indulge a quite massive chunk of potential customer Enough of this! Come see the trailer below, which features the following: guns, men, a train.

First impressions: what a good-looking countryside. Second impressions: Arthur sure looks like a videogame dude. He’s fighting for a bunch of fellers called the Van der Linde gang and to describe his appearance more fully: take Michael from GTA V and give him a wide-brimmed hat and a southern drawl. Jumping jimminy, there you have it, the new revolver-toting outlaw. I don’t know what I was expecting, but c’mon, even John Marston of the first game had a big scar on his face. In fact, the whole thing is a little underwhelming. Some cowboys, some horses, some gruff men. OK.

But it is very early days, and we’ve seen so little. We know it’s a prequel, set before the dying days of the west depicted in the original. And at least one character, Dutch, features in the storyline. But there’s not much else to go on. “The best/worst bit of Red Dead Redemption is people hunting buffalo,” says our Alice, “which don’t respawn.” Hopefully, there’ll be something more to this one than bad men doing bad things.

The open world stick-em-up was originally scheduled for an autumn release this year but that dream died of dysentery and gave way to a delay. An original reveal trailer only showed a few short scenes of life in the west alongside a gritty voiceover. Just like in this one, it looked as shiny as we’ve come to expect Rockstar’s sickeningly detailed worlds to be but didn’t reveal much about the story.

It’s due out sometime in “Spring 2018”.

1. Tazer says:

So much jaded hand wringing in today’s landscape of vidya journalism….

• dontnormally says:

And yet, no mention of the inevitable

“Red Dead Online Shark Cards Ruin What Should Have Been an Amazing Experience”

• Sgt_Moose says:

Shark cards? No. I reckon this here bein’ a fine western video whatsit, they’re gonna try and sell us on bars o’ gold, or silver certificates. Yessir! Them there Rockstar might even offer us deeds to minin’ claims!

Aerothorn says:

I realize that in many ways Red Dead Redemption was a masterfully wrought videogame, but I couldn’t get through the Housers’ terrible writing to get through it. They produce the most consistently empty, thoughtless cynicism and then deign to call it satire.

• TimePointFive says:

I completely agree. There’s such a dissonance between the themes and the dialogue. I get so pumped up sometimes in the GTA5 campaign, and I’m always robbed of my enthusiasm anytime anyone opens their mouths.

It’s a shame that they lean on Lazlo so much, he only has one brand of humor. Go back and watch GTA3 cutscenes. Other than the animations and graphics, they haven’t changed a bit in how juvenile they are.

3. Someoldguy says:

I’ve been hoping for this to be announced on PC after Witcher 3 showed how much fun it could be to roam around on horseback getting into trouble (and back out again.) I just refuse to get too excited about it until we know it’s actually happening.

• Solidstate89 says:

There’s every possibility it’ll never be released for PC just like the first RDR, but they were coy about this same shit with GTA:V where they refused to confirm it was coming to PC until the last minute.

4. InfamousPotato says:

Here’s hoping there’s a button to greet people with “Howdy, etc.” in the game too.

• DEspresso says:

Press ‘F’ to Yee-haw

• PancreaticDefect says:

“Hold right trigger to aim your chaw-juice at the spittoon.” Seriously, if there isnt a spittoon mini-game at every saloon it isnt worth buying even if it does come to PC.

5. Carra says:

Seeing how GTA 5 still tops the steam sale lists years after it’s release, they would have to be crazy not to release it on PC.

phuzz says:

“Seeing how GTA 5 still tops the steam sale lists years after it’s release, they would have to be crazy not to release it on PC with an online mode and the equivalent of Shark cards
      Fixed that for you

6. GenialityOfEvil says:

Man, compare this to the RDR and GTA V trailers. This was dour. I normally expect better of Rockstar, this is the kind of thing I expect of 2K.

Ninja Dodo says:

Y’all are being mighty cynical there. I’m excited. Hope it comes to PC. Red Dead Redemption is the only Rockstar game I’ve genuinely loved. Their games usually have this misanthropic streak that I don’t care for at all (see all GTA games) and while that attitude is not entirely absent in RDR there is real heart and sympathetic characters you can actually root for… and the world is just stunning. It also managed to be a better GTA game than GTA because that whole style of gameplay just fits better in the old west.

8. MushyWaffle says:

WoW… Looks amazing except for 1 thing and it jumps out at me big time.

Those facial animations are HORRIBLE. Only the mouths move, no cheeks or eye movement. It just looks unnatural. Absolutely lack of personality is coming through.

The rest of the game Two Thumbs up and will definitely be getting.

• Zenicetus says:

First thing I noticed too: yet another big-budget game following DX Mankind Divided and ME Andromeda where the quality of face animation is worse than previous games.

I know we were spoiled with the quality of emotional expression in Witcher 3, but why are new games actually retreating instead of making expression more realistic? Is it because it’s too much hand-work to tweak faces generated with software from dialog? So just run with the automation?

It looks terrible, and I don’t think this is fussy nitpicking. I love Western-theme games and there aren’t enough of them (assuming this reaches the PC at all). But they have to do better than this.

9. JonPhillips says:

This man’s face is so bland that my eyes refuse to focus on it. I try to stare into his eyes but find my attention instead drifting to another object in frame, or the edge of the screen, or a coffee mug on the other side of the room. They could camouflage tanks in this.

I think it also has a mild amnesic effect, because I’ve watched this trailer twice and can’t recall a single gruffly gruffed word of it.

• Seafoam says:

Yeah he’s as interesting as a piece of stale white bread, not a good thing for your protagonist from a character design standpoint.

10. Fnord73 says:

I sincerely hope they add a character editor. After playing RDR with Jonah Hex as the main character, looking at “Generic Action Guy” hurts the memory.

11. Sargonite says:

I just find it incredibly bizarre that every PC gaming outlet is going on and on about this game even though, AFAIK, there’s zero reason to think it will ever come to PC. It’s like we’re all trying to will a PC version into existence by force of ritual.

If it works, hell, that’s cool. But I see no reason to expect this to come to PC until the devs signal otherwise.

Risingson says:

And they talk less and less about PC games. And more superficially.

• Stevostin says:

Because every other games from Rockstar has been released on PC, on which they have become often massive bestseller. As in : “we sell way more than anybody else”.

Or to put it in a different way: because there are more PC rockstar fan that will click that news and read it than there are ppl who will do that for that game of a man in a cauldron above.

Also : SEO.

Nauallis says:

You seem to be unaware that the original Red Dead Redemption has to date, never been released on PC as a standalone game. The only way to get it on PC without stealing it is Playstation Now, and that’s arguably an emulator.

The Midnight Club games, also by Rockstar, have never been ported to PC. And a fairly garbage game called “The Warriors.”

• Stevostin says:

What part of “every *other* games” didn’t you get ?

Also what’s the point of mentioning the second league games ? RDR 2 isn’t that. Compare to GTA. And remember that for at least IV and V they didn’t announce PC from day one. Yet they released it, and sold massively. Not releasing RDR is probably thought of as a big mistake internally. Whether it happened for technical or exclusivity reason I don’t know, but I (and most, hence the news) would find it pretty unlikely not to have a PC version of RDR 2. Try to picture the reaction if they do and if they don’t to see what would be the actually unexpected outcome…

Nauallis says:

“Every other” usually means “all of the other.” You were wrong.

And try maybe being less bitter. I’m not arguing for no PC release. I remember the uproar over GTAV not being announced for PC initially quite well, and now it’s been on the steam top ten almost every week since it launched. Platform exclusivity is stupid, but it’s not like it’s necessarily gotten better over the years.

• agentghost says:

eh.. playing RDR on PC via Playstation NOW is the ONLY way to play on PC, legal or not. There’s NO WAY IN hell to play RDR on PC, LEGAL OR NOT!

12. a very affectionate parrot says:

Looks like an early PS3 game, frankly I’m not concerned with this new GTA horse edition, it can rot on consoles for all I care.

13. benzoate says:

All the closeups of faces make me thing of Mass Effect Andromeda. Something about the camera angle making the mouths/lower half bigger, the faces seem fine in wider shots.

14. Deviija says:

Yikes. That was one of the most lackluster and generic empty trailers, with some of the most generic gruff vidja game menfolk/protagonist-types.

15. Rogerio Martins says:

He looks generic, whoa, really, that’s your complaint? He doesn’t have a scar? Man, quality writing on this place has fallen.

16. Cloak says:

I’m hoping this game just another modern meta game which we all know usually suck. Cause I don’t want to support Rockstar because they don’t support mods.

• Rogerio Martins says:

It’s not like all devs have the obligation to support mods. Yeah, it sucks they removed mod support from GTAV, but that was a good game on it’s own right. Kind of a childish instance you’re displaying, but, ok, your call.

• GenialityOfEvil says:

They didn’t remove mod support. They issued a cease and desist (or something similar) to OpenIV but it was rescinded.

• Zenicetus says:

A game can be great without mods, especially if it’s singleplayer with a scripted story line that can stand on its own, and decent mechanics that don’t need fixing. Look at Witcher 3, which only has a few mods that don’t touch the major part of the game. Or Wolfenstein New Order.

phuzz says:

There’s mods for GTA:V (and most of the previous ones). Sure, Rockstar aren’t exactly encouraging them, but that’s basically standard practise for 99% of the industry.

Nauallis says:

Legitimately disappointed that there were not robot dinosaurs.

18. racccoon says:

The Only problem with Rockstar(idiots) is they FORGET THE PC!

19. syndrome says:

Arthur Morgan looks like someone’s dad afflicted with schizophrenia. Now we have to relive his prior passion for Western movies, and learn what it is that he has to correct in this world, while struggling with severe paranoia and facial paralysis.

20. fish99 says:

I wasn’t expecting a new engine or anything, but with no PS3/X360 version to drag down the visuals I didn’t really expect this to look worse than GTAV, but somehow it does. Maybe that’s because I played GTAV on PC and this is (presumably) PS4? Or maybe the budget for an RDR game doesn’t compare to GTA?