Total War: Warhammer 2 totally released

Today ratmen rise from the bowels of the earth, lizardfolk stop sunning themselves, high elves pause their posturing, and dark elves drop their edgy posturing, then the whole lot get to kicking seven shades of hell out of each other because Total War: Warhammer 2 [official site] is now out. Fraser Brown’s Total War: Warhammer 2 review said this might be the best game in the strategy series, which is high praise. Total Warhammer 2 actually launched at 8am, so I assume several of you reading this have called in sick with your best fake coughs.

Twarhammer 2 swans off to a new continent with new factions, all of whom have interests in the The Great Vortex, a source of great and terrible power at the heart of the vortex. Campaign goals ultimately lead to that big swirly thing, and players can actually lose if their NPC completes their Vortex plan first.

Here’s a big lump of Wot Fraser Thought:

“When Warhammer 2 disappoints, it’s almost always when it shies away from change, letting some of Total War’s weaker limbs languish in mediocrity. There’s surprisingly little that hasn’t been reconsidered, however, and what isn’t entirely new has, more often than not, been expanded or tweaked, usually with positive results.

“There’s a confidence to this game. It doesn’t need a comfortingly familiar grand campaign or a traditional structure because it has an identity separate from that of Total War; an identity where a scripted narrative can work, or where starkly different factions are more important than balance. It’s an exceedingly strong beginning to this chapter of the Warhammer trilogy and is a strong contender for the best game in the series.”

Now that Twarham 2 is out, it’s almost time for the free content machine to start rolling. A huge campaign map combining all factions and areas from both games, named Mortal Empires, is due to arrive soon-ish for people who own the two (no date confirmed yet, though the devs do say the Norsca will be added to the map late). Also coming are new Legendary Lords and something The Creative Assembly curiously call simply “an experiment.”

Total War: Warhammer 2 is out on Steam for £39.99/€59.99/$59.99. Folks who buy it within the next week also get the Norsca DLC faction free for the first game.

1. stringerdell says:

Cant wait to get cracking with this tomorrow. Wouldve been happy with more of the same but the new campaign sounds great.

2. GurtTractor says:

Just so people are aware, just now I am currently getting a 20-30% drop in performance compared to the first game, running an R9 390 and 1700X. Other people are also reporting a similar drop. I’m not complaining especially, it is smooth enough even at 30 FPS, just doesn’t seem that reasonable given the slight graphical improvement. Maybe things will be optomised further soon.

• ColonelFlanders says:

Youll probably get a driver update rollout soon. It runs perfectly for me (Nvidia user), even better for the first in fact

3. Great Cthulhu says:

And once again Euro-folk get screwed on the price. 33% more than the Brits, and 20% more than the ‘Muricans.

4. wombat191 says:

Trying my first “those who should not be named” campaign and so far its awesome

5. Banks says:

Runs noticeably better than the first on my PC, I’m very happy.

I’ve only played quest battles so far and I already love the new factions. And the scenery is gorgeous!

6. neilervin says:

I feel like the first Total War: Warhammer just came out like a year ago

7. Bobtree says:

PSA: the new Nvidia driver 385.69 that released for TWW2 has crashed twice now in two days, once in TWW, once at the desktop, using Win7 x64 with a GTX 1070. I was on 382.33 before and may reinstall it.

8. Slazia says:

I’ve played around two hours of the original. Give me another three or four years and I might be ready for this one.

9. LuNatic says:

Runs well for me. Loving the new battle maps, so much more interesting than the last title. They’ve make-done an excellent job of capturing the backstabbiness of Skaven society, yes-yes.

10. Blastaz says:

Two posturings Alice? couldn’t the High Elves “pause their pontificating”?

11. Massenstein says:

Twarham? You are the bane of all developers trying to come up with cool titles, and the hero of us peasants despairing with long and unwieldy names. Yes, Twarham… Twarham is good. I need some Twarham.

Comment on this story