Cuphead is now out. CUPHEAD!

Our cup runneth over, then it runneth away to shooteth enemies. The mighty Cuphead [official site], a shooty platformer with smooth jazz and a gorgeous hand-animated style using techniques of 1930s cartoons, is now out. After several years of shouting CUPHEAD at each other, we can finally play. Don’t mistake its fun style for an easy game, mind, as Cuphead will drink you up and spit you back out if you’re not careful.

God, CUPHEAD!

Just look at ’em!

Cuphead is a run ‘n’ gun platformer about cup-headed fellas who owe the devil a terrible debt and must repay him by, ultimately, running and jumping and shooting. It does support two-player local co-op, for those who have a cupchum near.

When we first saw Cuphead, it was focused on those delightful boss battles as developers Studio MDHR were only a three-person team. But when it became clear many players wanted more (mate, I’d be happy with the bosses), two of MDHR quit their jobs, remortgaged their houses, and started expanding the team. Now there are run-o-jumpy levels with enemies aplenty between those boss battles.

Cuphead is out now for £14.99/€19.99/$19.99 Steam, GOG, and the Windows 10 store.

1. LTK says:

Really curious how this game ended up after it went from a series of boss battles to a conventional platformer to I-don’t-know-what. Is there a WIT forthcoming?

• Matt Cox says:

Yep!

• welverin says:

From what I’ve seen elsewhere, really good.

Unfortunately, to me, it apparently has a high difficulty and I just can’t be bothered with such things any more.

• Foosnark says:

I’m basically no good with platform games and have too much to do (including playing other games) to have the patience for more difficult games of any kind, really. A shame, because this really looks charming.

• Blad the impaler says:

You know, I’m dating myself here — if you want to be considered a metric — but I developed that same sentiment after not being able to complete Viewtiful Joe.

MajorLag says:

I think it was Super Meat Boy where I finally said “You know, it just isn’t worth it” to the whole absurdly-difficult platformer thing.

• Catterbatter says:

Funny, I found trying to A+ everything on Super Meat Boy revealed almost a puzzle game at its core. Mostly down to the extremely tight level design. Whereas Cuphead seems a good bit looser. I don’t know if it’s because it really is looser or if it’s because the levels are longer. Obviously playing the same short level 50+ times will reveal its subtleties much better than playing a longer level 5 times.

• Davidsve says:

It’s really, really good. Far better than I had anticipated. That extra dev-time really paid off. Really 😉

2. DrJ3RK says:

It appears fairly Contra / Metal Slug -esque to me. Honestly, I’m so into the aesthetic, that I’d buy it if it was a horrible game. :D Luckily that doesn’t appear to be the case. The unfortunate part is that I’m at work, and won’t be able to play it for another six hours or so…

3. Jokerme says:

I hope you guys know how to play games. I heard it’s really hard to play ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• DrJ3RK says:

:P

Honestly, I’ve pretty much only been playing 2D indies lately. Sundered, Dead Cells, Songbringer, Hyper Light Drifter, Shovel Knight, among others. I think I’m ready for this.

• Turkey says:

Already anticipating the 3 pages of angry comments on Walker’s WIT.

4. eeguest says:

This game is madness, it makes me want to throw the computer out of the window even by watching the streams

5. int says:

Is it half full or half empty?

6. darkath says:

CUPFACE!

7. Agnosticus says:

This game seems to be just my CUP of tea!

• Ghostwise says:

If you were thinking of leaving your job and remortgaging the house to become a comedian, I suggest not to.

• cpt_freakout says:

Have some mercy, you just mugged the guy from a happy little pun.

• grrrz says:

hopefully this game will provide him some kind of cup-ing mechanism

• Minglefingler says:

Come on now, it’s not as if he made a complete horlicks of the gag, I’m sure it got a cuple of laughs.

• Agnosticus says:

Awwww thanks for cupping my dreams in half :'(

• 13tales says:

Agreed. Looking for good humor here is a mug’s game.

8. NZLion says:

I tried a version of this at PAX, and immediately decided to wait for youtube playthroughs… this makes Super Meat Boy seem like a walk in the park

9. Moragami says:

I’m going to play in easy mode.

10. Sunjammer says:

Gorgeous game and I don’t want to play it. Everything about it from videos I’ve seen looks like form over function. Hitboxes are ultra vague, colors clash so you can’t tell hazards from background, and on top of that it actively sets out to fuck you up. It just looks like a frustrating mess and I’ll happily wait and just watch the inevitable future speedruns instead.

11. DanMan says:

It’s a shame that this great artwork is locked behind an impenetrable wall of frustration. Ah well… plenty of other stuff to play. Moving on.

• Arglebargle says:

Yeah, great artwork, great inspiration, but the wrong genre for me. Gave up on hairshirt games a while back as well. Hope it does well though.

• Morcane says:

You’re not the only one. Shame since the artwork looks gorgeous and the music sounds ace as well, but yeah, I’m done with games that are hard for the sake of being hard.

12. Lobotomist says:

Thing is that Meat Boy was fun difficult. Sure some levels were ridiculously hard, but you had fun regardless. It never felt frustrating.

Question is, is this game just hard ?

• Rizlar says:

Nah apparently it’s not particularly difficult, not Super Meat Boy level. The people above are just playing Repeat Internet Comment of the Month.

• DanMan says:

Have you seen footage of the very first J’n’R level?

link to youtu.be

Compare that with the first Super Mario level of your choice. Exactly. No, don’t tell me “different genre”. It totally looks like a nice J’n’R for kids.

13. batraz says:

Alice O’Connor is my shepherd. (I won’t dwell in her house forever though)

14. fuggles says:

Whilst I have sadly not played it, I wish cheat codes were still a thing. I spent happy hours playing through swiv, silkworm, x-out and others with infinite lives on. Always felt satisfied as it was a nice ride to see the whole game – no way I would finish swiv otherwise!

15. gwop_the_derailer says:

Alice is a better person than me for not captioning the header image 2 Cups 1 Girl.

16. Cantisque says:

It’s so beautiful to look at, I’d buy it even if it weren’t a good game. Fortunately, it is!