The Foxer

Warm-up foxer (Where am I?)

The city I’m in was occupied by the Germans during WW2. In front of me is a large rusty anchor. Behind me is a BMW dealership. I’m a stone’s throw from a structure that shares its name with a 21st Century cartoon character, an area of Baghdad, and an artllery piece. I’m due north of an island Napoleon knew well. I’m in a country with a female PM and a male monarch. I’m 1.7 km from a cathedral and 5.5 km from a tram museum.

Collage foxer (Identify the theme)

*       *       *

SOLUTIONS

Last week’s hive foxer theme: swords (defoxed by Gothnak)

TAROT (AFKAMC)
OAKESHOTT (AbyssUK)
PLAY (AFKAMC)
TALWAR (AFKAMC)
ORCRIST (AbyssUK, Gothnak)
BEACH (KarolisLive)

1. AFKAMC says:

Top centre Mitsubishi Ki-21 (Sally).

link to the-blueprints.com

2. Gothnak says:

The gun at the bottom looks a bit like a Sten Gun, yeah, that’s my gun knowledge complete.

• Stugle says:

I would say it looks more like a Sterling SMG, although those usually have a curved magazine. However, the magazine feed right above the (angled) pistol grip very much matches the Sterling, as does the perforated barrel.

• Rorschach617 says:

The Sterling SMG does not have that hanging “trigger housing” under the main body of the weapon, the pistol grip is fixed to it.

I cannot find a STEN gun with a foregrip directly under the magazine.

But the Austen SMG has both.

link to en.wikipedia.org

• Stugle says:

Augh! I just now noticed the gun extends far further back than I originally thought.

• phlebas says:

Hmm. Jane Austen, Jane Russell, Jane Marple, Jane’s fighting *…

• Gothnak says:

I had Jane Grey, Jane Russell earlier, bum…

Good work…

• Rorschach617 says:

The Ki-21 Sally was originally codenamed “Jane” until Gen. MacArthur complained that Jane was his wife’s name.

But I notice that one of the characters in the “The Moving Finger” had been involved in a plane crash, so cannot declare either possibility correct.

3. Syt says:

The novel excerpt on the hand is from Agatha Christie’s “The Moving Finger” (1942) … according to Google.

4. AFKAMC says:

A guess, but is the RAF chap possibly Richard Hillary?

5. KarolisLive says:

Warm-up: TRONDHEIM; anchor at (63.439079, 10.418369)?

• mrpier says:

Yupp, thought it might be Narvik at first, but then Dora settles it.

6. Syt says:

The airship in search lights looks a lot like the one from Jules Verne’s Robur the Conqueror.

• phlebas says:

I think it’s from The Angel of the Revolution by George Griffith, which is a lot like Jules Verne’s Robur the Conqueror:
      link to johncoulthart.com

Illustration by Fred T. Jane, of Jane’s Fighting Ships etc.

• Gothnak says:

Wow, who would have thought there were two completely different weird flying ship things… Right, my Albatross idea is in the bin then.

phuzz says:

Just a reminder that this link accesses a much higher resolution version of the foxer.

8. phlebas says:

Could that shortcut in the middle be for Aces of the Deep?

• phlebas says:

Hmm. There was a Jane’s Official submarine sim (688I Hunter Killer) – maybe it’s that?

9. Gothnak says:

So, i saw the old bloke and thought, i wonder if that’s Bertrand Russell? Now, if you showed me a picture of Bertrand Russell or asked me what he wrote (He’s a writer isn’t he? :P), i wouldn’t have a clue, but i typed in Bertrand Russell, and here he is…

That is very strange.

link to cdn8.openculture.com

phuzz says:

The tower bottom left is Fort Grey, now a shipwreck museum, on Guernsey.

The Fort is a Martello Tower built on a small tidal islet to defend Rocquaine Bay. It is connected to the shore by a raised causeway and is now known affectionately as the “Cup and Saucer”. It houses a shipwreck museum and offers spectacular views of the bay and the Hanois Lighthouse.

(of course, I checked out the entire coastline of Jersey first)

11. Gothnak says:

So, early thoughts are some kind of Shipwreck…

Shipwreck Museum,
    The Jules Verne Flying Ship is called the Albatross (Always something bad to do with ships),
    Bertrand Russell was onboard a flying boat that capsized (Interestingly at the other half of the foxer in Trondheim),
    The submarine game is about sinking ships…

Nope? Didn’t think so.

• mrpier says:

I was thinking something along the lines of china, Russel’s teapot and cup and saucer, and that’s all I got so far :p

12. Stugle says:

The young’un with the improbable mop of blond hair is a star scout (which is a rank of boyscout, it seems?). His pose reminds me of pictures of family members meeting returning POWs, but I haven’t found anything yet.

• Aphrion says:

I’m afraid I don’t know about other countries’ versions of this, but in the U.S. a Boy Scout (Star Scout or otherwise) wouldn’t wear their rank on their shoulder – rather, the patch goes on your left front pocket, and the patch on your shoulder will be either your troop number or the American flag, depending on the shoulder. Wish I did know how to help you, but all I can do at the moment is tell you what it isn’t.

• phlebas says:

Mm, I couldn’t find a similar badge either so wondered if it might be a made-up uniform from a film or something.
        Meanwhile, looking at the shape of the face, that boy scout is looking more and more like Jane Fonda to me, which I shall take as a sign that I should give up and go to bed…

13. AbyssUK says:

Wait is the link simply monthy phythons flying circus ?
    Albatross, that finger, The philosopher song…

14. phlebas says:

Jane Austen
    Lady Jane Grey
    Jane Russell
    Jane Marple
    Jane’s Fighting etc

• Gothnak says:

Jane 688 Hunter Killer? :)

• phlebas says:

That’d be my guess. Anyone know a handy place to check such things, short of buying and installing the game?

• Gothnak says:

You know i was actually joking when i typed that, it was the most ridiculous answer i could come up with. Then i went up and saw you actually thought it and it might be right….

• AFKAMC says:

The Ki-21 had more than one Allied codename. Initially called “Jane”, the name was quickly changed to “Sally” when General Douglas MacArthur objected that the name was the same as that of his wife.

(Sneaky, Roman, very sneaky.)

• phlebas says:

Very nice!

• AFKAMC says:

U.S. generals in WW2 must have been a touchy lot. Henry H. Arnold was apparently most disgruntled when the intelligence people christened a new type of Japanese fighter “Hap” in his honour; they hurriedly had to rename it “Hamp”. After all that, they then found out it was just a type of Zero (“Zeke”) anyway.

• mrpier says:

Calamity Jane allegedly was a scout, seems a bit tenuous though.

phuzz says:

Jane Stirling was a friend (possibly more) to Chopin.

15. AbyssUK says:

The playing card is from the cover/gamedisk of Grey Matter by Jane Jensen…

16. phlebas says:

The wall with the eye graffiti is the ruin of a US military base on Baltra, Galapagos – location of SEYMOUR airport.
    link to yahoo.com

17. sagredo1632 says:

I think more specifically this might be BRITISH Janes. As Jane Stirling (Scottish), Lady Jane Grey, Jane Seymour (wife of Henry VIII), Jane’s intel is a British organization, etc.

• phlebas says:

Jane Russell was American, though. It may just be that it’s more of a British name.