Atelier Lydie & Suelle is coming to PC early 2018

Atelier Lydie

Gust’s Atelier series – a console-centric series I’ve had some positive experience with – is a recent arrival on the PC, first turning up this February with the release of Atelier Sophie. Finishing what they started, Koei Tecmo are making good on their promise to bring the entire localised ‘Mysterious’ sub-trilogy to PC, concluding with the release of Atelier Lydie & Suelle: Alchemists of the Mysterious Painting [official site], due for release on PC early next year.

The Atelier series have always represented the softer side of RPGs, even by Japanese standards. Relatively low-intensity stories of daily magical life for a series of (primarily) young women alchemists. The series puts a focus on the more practical aspects of fantasy life, especially on making ends meet as the proprietor of the Atelier – the local alchemy shop – buying or harvesting local ingredients in order to magically process into potions, crystals or delicious foods for the townsfolk through puzzle-based crafting minigames. Even though they offer a fair amount of traditional JRPG combat, there’s nothing grim or gritty here; even the monsters tend to be more cute than menacing.

While the series started way back in 1997 and now spans at least a dozen titles, Atelier Lydie & Suelle is the concluding chapter of the ‘Mysterious’ trilogy that began earlier this year on PC with Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist Of The Mysterious Book. While Sophie and her friends do seem to be involved in the story this time round, the protagonist role switches to the titular duo and their adventures exploring magical realms within paintings, in-between their daily grind mixing up mystical goodies and treats for the townsfolk.

While I’ve been meaning to give the series a deeper look, I’ve played a few hours of Sophie’s earlier adventures in mystical mercantile, and found it relaxing in a way that RPGs seldom are. Even the money-making aspects are kept relatively casual, and While I’m more of a ‘tactical combat above a pit of burning spikes’ guy, it seems like a pleasant all-ages introduction to the genre, especially for those wanting something a little less explicitly violent.

Atelier Lydie & Suelle is set for release early next year, giving you plenty of time to catch up in the meantime with Atelier Sophie (£25/30€/$30) and Atelier Firis (£40/60€/$60) on Steam now.

1. FurryLippedSquid says:

That sounds just awful.

• FurryLippedSquid says:

Edit: I’ve tried to love JRPGs, I really have. I’ve spent time with the Persona games, I’ve spent time with various Final Fantasies, I’ve even spent time with Recettea. I don’t just bounce off them, I am violently ejected. The word “twee” doesn’t begin to explain the vomitous ejaculation threatening my gullet.

Good day, sir.

• Jokerme says:

It’s nice that you’re finally figuring out your own tastes…

• NetharSpinos says:

Eh, you don’t like ’em, that’s fair enough; they’re not everyone’s cup of tea. I can’t stand MOBAs, myself. I’ve never tried the Atelier series, but the trailer doesn’t look too bad…but as you say, quite twee.

2. Dingoparry says:

Atelier has ruined crafting in other games for me. Nothing I’ve seen has ever come close to its complexity. They’re JRPGs on the surface, but at times they feel more like puzzle games to me. It’s very satisfying to figure out how to give a unique trait to something seven or eight steps from the original item so you can discover a new recipe.
    They’re the kind of games that give you a set of goals and leave you to your own devices. The story is a side effect of making new stuff. You defeat monsters not because they threaten the world, but because you really want their parts to make a new potion and see what’s next in the recipe book.

3. bill says:

Where can we get hold of the drugs that anime costume designers take? They’re clearly much more powerful than anything available in the west.

• KreissV says:

Japan has different tastes and culture! They must on drugs! /s

Very forward thinking!

• bill says:

Can you think of any other explanation for those outfits and those hats??

I’ll grant you, they might have been designed by putting a bunch of monkeys in a room with a sewing machine, some scissors and 1000 barbie outfits… but I like to think that the monkeys would have come up with something a little more coordinated.

• gwop_the_derailer says:

Considering it’s the country that gave us the Shirime, they definitely at least have some Shochu before getting down to some cultural production.

• b00p says:

conservatism, fear, and cigarettes most likely. japan famously has one of the most aggressively negative social policies in the (“developed”) world regarding recreational drugs, and they’re especially hard on psychedelics. medical marijuana is slowly starting to become accepted (very very slowly) but a single j can still land you with a 5 year prison sentence.

• Assirra says:

Hey i take it over those bland outfits most developers make as armor. It’s a fantasy game, just go crazy.

4. April March says:

I’m just chilling here in this field, in a pretty dress, with my best friend, who’s also in a pretty dress… AND A GUN

J U X T A P O S I T I O N

5. manio22 says:

Even though it has a certain appealing i wouldn’t want to be an anime girl in an anime world for the sole reason it would be a pain to get dressed and put all these accessories every morning.

• pepperfez says:

I imagine they’re all just extremely fancy bodysuits that pull on over one’s head.

• Dominic Tarason says:

Reminds me of when the art director for Gravity Rush 2 did a series of diagrams explaining how the protagonist gets into her clothes in the morning, because her outfit was just that complex and ornate.

6. geldonyetich says:

Lydie: Which of our formulas brew a yuri potion, Suelle?
    Suelle: All of them.

• Rince says:

Hahaha! I wish!
      Sadly, the latest Atelier games are lacking in the yuri front. Firis being a particular offender.

Gust needs to see the light and bless us with more yuri.