What are we all playing this weekend?

Welcome to Saturday, gang. We did it. We’ve reached the weekend. More than that, we’ve reached the end of September. If these distinctions are arbitrary, why are they so exciting?

Alternatively, if you’re reading this on Sunday: pinch and a punch for the first of the month – and no returns!

What are you playing this weekend? Here’s what we’re clicking on.

Adam: I’m playing the game where I sit at home unable to connect to broadband because the house I’ve moved into STILL doesn’t have a connection two weeks after arrival. That means I’m limited to playing games that are either very tiny in terms of download size (I’m using a tethered 4G connection) or games that are already installed on my computer.

HyperRogue and Divinity: Original Sin 2 it is then. Woe is me. Maybe I don’t really need broadband.

Alec: Well – a SNES Mini arrived, but as soon as I looked at it I realised that I don’t really care about SNES games but just wanted to follow the herd, so now I need to agonise about whether to open it and try and enjoy it or be a Bad Man and flip it on eBay. Between anxieties, I think I shall return to Audioshield, which I revisited for our recent best VR games feature and fell in love with its musical punching all over again.

Alice: I’m still exploring Infra, the strange and delightful first-person adventure starring a structural analyst. I’m still having a delightful time exploring power plants, dams, bridges, and the rest. I am, of course also playing Isaac and Plunkbat. Always Isaac and Plunkbat.
Brendan: I’ve been dabbling in some Tekken 7 because I saw some people punching each other in a fighting game tournament while at EGX and thought to myself: “Sure, I can do that.”

But I can not do that.

Graham: I’ve still got a hankering for first-person action since completing Titanfall 2 a few weeks ago, and so I’m debating whether to finally get round to playing Dishonored 2 or Wolfenstein: The New Order. But there’s been enough Plunkbat chat this past week that I may well dip back into that after a couple months away.
John: It’s going to be Zelda: Breath Of The Wild. I bought a Switch, and goodness me, it’s a good game. And when you’re done playing it in front of the TV, you can pick it up and carry on playing it on the train. I’m not sure if anyone else has discovered this feature of the Switch yet, so there’s a useful tip.
Philippa: This weekend I will be playing Leonard Cohen albums on repeat. I should also visit the Wizarding World Of Harry Potter. If there’s time I might try to fit in a spot of livestreaming some fowl.

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

1. Ksempac says:

I wasn’t gonna pick up Cuphead, but the 20 euros price (when I was expecting a fully priced game) made it an impulse buy. So far, I’m enjoying it and it seems fairly short, so I’m expecting that I will play it to completion this weekend.

• Agnosticus says:

Are you being serious? I thought for a SP indie title it was rather a high price!

Sees to be well thought-out and polished though.

• Ksempac says:

Yes I’m being serious, and your criteria for game prices are weird.

“SP” and “indie” shouldn’t be criteria to decide at what price a game is worth buying. The questions should be more about “how much content does this game have ?”, “How is the quality of this game ?”, “Is it bringing anything new to the table ?” etc.

Cuphead is highly polished, it has a unique art style, and is in a genre that has very few new titles coming on PC (run-and-gun/boss platformers). So yeah, 20 euros for Cuphead is a no brainer for me.

Even if it doesn’t take too long to finish, it’s a game that is probably fun to replay to improve your score.

• Agnosticus says:

It’s what I’ve gotten used to from the industry. All those criteria also apply to many other comparable indie titles, such as Crypt of the Necrodancer, Dead Cells, Battleblock Theater, Guacamelee, Mark of the Ninja, Super Meat boy, the Trine series, Magicka, Foul Play, Spelunky, etc,etc…

Ok, some exeptions: Ori, Owlboy,

Pray tell me, when you’ve seen the last 2D full price release though!

• fish99 says:

Are you talking about launch prices or what those games cost now though? Also, while I love many of those games you list, none of them have quite the animation and art quality of Cuphead, as evidenced by it’s 11GB install size.

• MillieMoore says:

I get paid over $95 per hour working from home with 2 kids at home. I never thought I’d be able to do it but my best friend earns over 10k a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The potential with this is endless. Heres what I’ve been doing… Click Here And Start Work

• welverin says:

Since when was 20 euros full price?

2. wcq says:

The newest of games: Wild Arms 3

This big dang opening song is cheesy as heck, and I love it.

daktaklakpak says:

Oh my goodness, nostalgia blast. Whats extra awesome is that as you pass certain story milestones in the game, the huge intro movie changes to add relevant bits!

3. Hoot says:

After owning Divinty : Original Sin for years and bouncing off it 5 or 6 times after 2 hours of play I eventually persisted and was charmed by it’s “this is some dark shit but lets not take ourselves too seriously, eh?” approach to writing and story as well as the excellent combat system which I always knew would be awesome but never persisted enough to the point where it actually got awesome.

I’ve now finished the game on Tactician difficulty (about 70 hours) and am gonna start Divinty : Original Sin 2 this morning.

On reflection I think I persisted this 7th time around with the first game because of 3 reasons :-

I relaxed and let myself enjoy the wonkiness / Terry Gilliam-ness of the characters and the story.

I knew the first 2 or 3 hours of Cyseal were utterly without combat (except for like, 2 fights) and decided to play until I got at least to a first boss.

I’d just finished an Ironman XCOM 2 WotC run and was jonesing for more turn based combat but in a different game.

• geldonyetich says:

Similar boat here. I was sitting between Witcher 3 and XCOM:WotC, having beaten the latter on Ironman and not quite getting into the former because I still had a turn-based strategy itch. Along comes Divinity: Original Sin 2, and I was able to get equal parts turn-based strategy and fantasy world. Granted, it’s not as much a specialist as either.

I need to stop restarting the game and playing through Fort Joy again. I did it twice with Fane, unnecessarily as it turns out, since apparently I can respec immediately after leaving Fort Joy. But one thing I *can’t* change is who my main character is, along with their inherited traits. So I’m tempted to run through it a third time, wiser from my first two runs.

4. timbruls says:

Got AirportCEO, so between Daddy duties I try to get my airport running.

5. dangermouse76 says:

It’s all about Elder Scrolls Oblivion. Logged a few hundred hours on console and PC. Never done the main quest line.

So I am going straight into the main quest. Any advise on builds just for the main story ?

I was thinking conjuration and deadly bow action with some alchemy thrown in for good measure.

particlese says:

Not sure what an optimal build would be, but I think I ended up with bow and destruction for offense, and illusion and athletics for running up invisibly to the sigil stones with nearly no confrontations. All went well until a big battle close to the end, thanks in part to a creaking old computer. The console helped me out there, but I reckon some swordplay points may have done the job in a more legitimate way.

• dangermouse76 says:

A mate just suggested go heavy armour, shield and sword as it will level my heavy armour and block quickly.
        And as I am going straight in to the quest line from the sewer I’ll only pick up whats dropped. Not a lot of room to level my skills.

Now all I need is a mic, some talent, a Patreon account and I could become a millionaire youtuber. /s

• yogibbear says:

The enemies auto scale to your level so just don’t spam healing spells or trade too much and you should be fine due to the completely ass-backwards levelling up mechanic only found in Oblivion and then never used again because it’s horse shit.

• fish99 says:

The main thing I remember from Oblivion is how overpowered the best summons were, like the Daedroth, who would sit there tanking everything while you picked them all off with destruction spells. So assuming you can get your skills up quick enough with just the main quest, I’d recommend conjuration and destruction, combined with sword/shield and bow.

Remember to practice summoning all the time, not just when in combat.

• geldonyetich says:

For the most part, it’s the same as Skyrim, with a Fighter, Mage, or Thief/Assassin build being optimal.

In Morrowind, you can get to legit cheat mode by stacking Chameleon enchants until you’re permanently invisible.. Oblivion fixed that, only to repeat the same mistake with a different enchantment. Maybe this isn’t what you meant by, “Optimal.”

• Shinard says:

There were so many ways to break Morrowind. The favourite one I heard was making a potion to improve your potion-making skill, then taking it and making a better potion-making improvement potion, and then repeat until you were the god of alchemy. Then make a few potions to improve your other skills if you need them, a few spare to sell for crazy money, and enjoy.

My personal favourite was the Lock spell. So simple, and seemingly useless, but NPCs couldn’t seem to unlock doors. All you need is a bit of skill at juking enemies, and you can quite happily lock an entire dungeon in a broom closet and continue on your merry way.

6. kwyjibo says:

Haven’t played Duelyst for an entire month, and it’s the last day of the season. Going to try and make it to Diamond rank tonight.

Might give Sleeping Dogs a try later – picked that up on sale on Steam for £3 this week.

7. Glacious says:

If I can avoid squandering a long weekend, hopefully finishing Bioshock 2. Standing under waterfalls , which happens a fair bit having the buff that recharges health and EVE when in water, should help mentally alleviate the altogether too hot too early climate down here.

8. Ejia says:

Oxenfree. I like it, despite not being fond of teen drama in general. It can be a bit tedious to play through repeatedly if you want to see the different conversation patha and ending combinations, but that’s true of most games with multiple endings.

9. Lars Westergren says:

Divinity: OS2. Broken finger and hand in in cast, so it’s turn based or point&click for me.

link to twitter.com

particlese says:

I’ll also be playing more HyperRogue, having picked it up and enjoyed it after the recent article. Speaking of roguethings, I’ve also gotten newly excited about Dead Cells since they announced that wall jumping is coming in a future update, and even the current movement still feels great. Speaking of great movement, I’ll finally be joined by fellow noobs in flying around in Lawbreakers during its free weekend, and the 4-5-fold increase in players has given some hint at what the game could have been had it taken off. Speaking of flying around and shooting things, I’ll also be trying to find time to get through more/all of To The Top and Superhot VR after seeing some VR games listed in the recent RPS-o-list and accompanying comments which I’d like to try. And speaking of games I’d like to try, Echo looks awesome and is waiting patiently on my hard drive for now since I haven’t had made time for it. Could today/tomorrow be the day?

• Unclepauly says:

I’ve only seen a doubling of players in LB. There was 300 players every night before the free weekend. I didn’t play last night so maybe it jumped idk

particlese says:

I’ve usually been on when it was around 250, and it got up above 1k whrn I was on last night and is currently at 1057, so I went with 4-5. Regardless of the actual factor, it’s been nice to play with other players who aren’t really good at shooting things, and to be able to clarify mechanics for people here and there.

particlese says:

Also Fugl since it’s so nice; needed to de-stress after stopping to look around too much in To The Top. @_@

11. mac4 says:

Yo fans,

Just a heads-up that the original Fallout is currently up for free at Steam, link to store.steampowered.com . As usual, just click install then don’t proceed to install if that’s not your immediate intention, and it is or should be in your library for good.

Good until September 30th 11:59PM Pacific Time.

Meanwhile, me? Busy and not just this weekend making my way through Kingdoms of Amalur, 100+ hours in, so an estimated some 100 more to go.

12. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

It’ll be total warhams 2 for most of the weekend. When I say most, I mean that I do need to eat and sleep at some point.

13. Morte66 says:

Guild Wars 2 Path of Fire

• caerphoto says:

Same! Been in no rush to complete the story, just been having so much fun exploring the new maps and getting used to mounts and new specs. It’s been great :D

• Creeping Death says:

+1 for PoF. The last expansion didn’t impress me and actually resulted in pushing me away from the game for 6 months until they rebalances things. PoF though has just constantly impressed me. I haven’t had this much fun exploring the game since the core release.

1 week after release and I still have 1.5 maps to explore and the story to finish, then I get to do it 8 more times on different characters :P

• parsley says:

I need to play this! I’ve heard so many good things.

14. Ladykilljoy says:

Blood Booooooooooooooooooooowl

Love that game

15. elvirais says:

Divinity: Original Sin 2. Totally addicted, didn’t think that would happen.

16. yogibbear says:

Up to Phantom Forrest in D:OS, just started Cuphead. WAAAAY harder than it looks. Or I’m just getting too old!

17. Cronstintein says:

Me too. It’s been a looooooong time since I fell this deep into an RPG. Reminds me of when my college roommate passed me Baldur’s Gate 2.

18. Mister eX says:

The Witcher 3. Repeatedly getting lost in Novigrad. :D
    Maybe some F1 2016 to break it up a bit… :)

• elvirais says:

After a while i tried playing with the small map off, it takes a long time but after that you can navigate quicker because you learn. Novigrad will always be a maze though :p some things are just not indicated too, like where Triss is at some point.

• Mister eX says:

Yeah, I was looking for Triss’ the last time I’ve played, a couple of days ago. Took me ages and I still haven’t found the place by the time I called it a day, but at least explored the city a bit in the process. :D I’m not exactly frustrated by these things YET. :D It’s kind of awesome to be able to get lost in a virtual city… :)

• AutonomyLost says:

Yes, this. Turning much of the UI off in TW3, especially the mini-map, aids in the immersion and satisfying sense of familiarity that comes with exploration and attention paid.

• dracvs says:

Moi aussi!

I have at least 80 hours logged on and I am just searching for all the Griffin and Cat and Bear Arms, because we have to kill the monsters in style.

19. Sorbicol says:

Original Sin 2 here as well. It’s quite possibly better than Baldurs Gate 1&2. It’s got its problems to be sure (why do I really need to replace every item of armour on everyone every time they go up a level?!?), but the writing is excellent, the combat is wonderful and there’s nothing better than my giant Lizard tank suddenly sprouting Wings, spider legs or Medusa snakes out of his head in the middle of a brawl.

Not sure everything they’d done quite sticks (levelling is all over the place) but this really is something quite special.

• Minglefingler says:

Is your armour being removed when you level? If so, that’s a bug.

• Sorbicol says:

No, just its effectiveness falls off a cliff once it’s a level or two behind your character’s level. Forces you to constantly thieve or lucky charm stuff from boxes and barrels so you don’t get one-hit killed by anything a level or two above.

20. vahnn says:

WRC 7. I’ve become hopelessly addicted to rally racing. Maybe squeeze in some plunkbizzle and a couple hours on my DOS2 coop campaign with my friend.

21. Minglefingler says:

Divinity: Original Sin 2, I can’t praise the game enough, it’s a masterpiece.

22. Jac says:

Will be bouncing between Golf Story on switch and Danganronpa 3 I think.

Still need to go back and finish The Observer so maybe that as well.

• Kitsunin says:

I just finished Danganronpa 2, myself. Had it sitting around for a while after finishing the first case…guess I just got bored of the formula after #1. But after getting back into I was totally hooked and finished it in just a few days.

There’s a very particular feeling, when the end of a story blows you away, and you really just can’t imagine a sequel managing to do the same? Then it totally does, and leaves you in awe? Yeah…it’s extremely rare, but DR2 sure did it.

Now I’ve got Ultra Despair Girls installing.

• Kitsunin says:

I’m probably over halfway finished and I wanted to come back and say, to anyone maybe considering it — don’t skip Ultra Despair Girls. The gameplay looked boring, but despite the simplicity of the mechanics, the fantastic design of the levels lends it kind of a puzzly feel which is extremely satisfying. It’s fantastically paced and, while I’m not expecting it, there’s the potential for an ending just as spectacular as that of the mainline games.

23. fiendling says:

I am playing XCOM 2: War of the Chosen and it is fantastic.

They are still fixing up some of the mods I generally use but my staple mods like Stop wasting my time and Extract all have been updated for War of the Chosen already.

24. kelmorg says:

Total War:Warhammer 2 interspersed with Infested Planet.

25. Vacuity729 says:

I tried Stellaris this week. My first game was as a race of pacifist star foxes. Things didn’t seem to be too bad until I met my first neighbour; a race of carnivorous slugs who referred to us as “prey”.
    I suppose the end was something of an inevitability, but as the carnivorous slugs slithered their way across my budding attempt at a solar empire, I felt genuine guilt that I had failed my people so badly as to come to an end as a buffet for a bunch of hideous slugs.
    I’m trying again. Even as a pacifist, I guess I’ll have to try harder to build and maintain a really large fleet.

teije says:

The AI in the latest update of Stellaris is much better at sensing weakness and attacking. If playing as a pacifist, significant fleet for defence and trying to form defensive pacts/federations is good practice.

26. cpt_freakout says:

Going to have a go at Divinity OS 2 with a couple friends. I’m super excited and it’s going to be fantastic I’m sure. I also installed Twarhammer 2 but that’s probably going to have to wait for a while.

27. fish99 says:

More Destiny, finishing off Rise of Iron and getting gear for my Hunter. I do fancy some Total War though, not Warhammer 2, but maybe Attila, which I’ve played very little of, or a fresh campaign in Shogun 2.

28. lukebee says:

I’ve only had it for a couple weeks, so I’m still making my way through Breath of the Wild. I’m also *this* close to finishing The End is Nigh (other than the cartridges, don’t think I’m masochistic enough to beat all of those), I’m really enjoying Pyre so far, and I just picked up Tacoma the other day.

29. mcdreamer says:

Street Fighter V as always, with a fair bit of Street Fighter 2 and Mario mixed in on the SNES mini.

30. parsley says:

I’ll be finishing up Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice. It’s already one of my favorites. It’s been a while since I’ve held my breath so often while playing a game.

Once I finish that, I’ll poke at Stardew Valley a bit more. I’m ashamed of my shabby farm and want to spruce it up before Grandpa’s inevitable judgment.

31. Mouse_of_Dunwall says:

I just finished the main story in Mirror’s Edge Catalyst. It was OK. The running was fun and the combat was OK. The story was not good.

I would love to see a Mirror’s Edge game with stealth systems.

Ninja Dodo says:

That game is a real missed opportunity. Still great at its core, with some smart improvements… but with baffling choices in story and character and the way the open world was designed.

32. Ben King says:

Some more Heat Signature although by this point I’m kinda maxing out on it, but I know it will be delightful to pick up again in a month or two when I forget how all the gadgets work. Also prepping for my Curse of Strahd campaign tomorrow doodling maps, maybe some Devil Daggers?

33. AutonomyLost says:

I have the season pass for Nioh and will be delving into the depths of its DLC! So. Good.

34. Wolfoz says:

I’ve been playing tinder continuously, but haven’t made it past the first round. Got any tips?

35. Jimmyc789 says:

Divinity Original Sin 2 .. its really really good. Im just always cautions about applying points and attributes, to not back myself into a corner. I just beat the last battle to get off of fort joy, only took 25 hours lol. Also, golf story on switch is super relaxing and a good break. I just got back surgery so I have been putting a lot of time into gaming. hope everyone is having an awesome weekend

36. Cyrus says:

Witcher 3 as always, 100 hours in and maybe 100 hours left???
    Geez

37. CheeseFarts says:

Just massacred my way through Ruiner, but wot now?

38. matte_k says:

Currently on a second run through of Dishonored 2, after finally finishing the first without being seen or killing anyone. It still stuns me you can do that, and also that on this second, more… Violent playthrough I’m discovering new areas and methods of traversing to the target. The level design really is fantastic.

Also tinkering with small sessions of Child of Light and Machinarium with my daughter, she loves the art styles.

39. Viral Frog says:

Plunkbat, Golf With Your Friends, Killing Floor 2 and Arma 3.

I just got Arma 3 and holy hell is it complex. It’s a good game thus far, though! I’ve wanted a really in-depth FPS experience and this is definitely it. I can see myself spending a lot of time with the singleplayer. I’m not really interested in the MP, oddly enough, but I may try it out eventually.

I was also thinking of adding R6 Siege to my library and playing that as well.

40. Unsheep says:

WRC 7, MotoGP 17, and MXGP3. Continuing my Championship in each.

Trying to finish Assassin’s Creed Syndicate before Assassin’s Creed Origins is released. For all the shit the series gets by our hypocritical mainstream media, the Assassin’s series remains one of my favourite AAA-franchises.

• welverin says:

I don’t think the AC games have gotten any more shit from the gaming media than they deserved. Well, maybe three did, but that’s about it.

Mind you, I’ve played them all.

41. FelipeCC says:

This cannot go on anymore. The pile of unplayed games gets higher every month. And here I am, playing this goddamn same Rainbow Six Siege over and over. I feel like I want to be done with it, but my friends are all-in into it. So everytime I end up launching this game. Please, send help.

42. superfuzz says:

Steamworld Dig 2 & Picross S on Switch, Book of Demons & perhaps Darkwood some more on Steam. It is now semiofficially the month of spooky games so perhaps also might pickup Observer for some horror fun.

43. malkav11 says:

My plan -was- to play some of the games I got while I was on vacation these past couple weeks (only sort of vacation-y as the purpose of the trip was to visit my dying grandfather, and indeed I did manage to get some time with him and say goodbye, and then he passed and I attended the funeral. So. Productive, but not the most relaxing experience as such.) but then when I got home my internet was out. So I watched movies instead. Shimmer Lake, which I highly recommend, on my iPad on the late night bus home. Alien Covenant (not recommended) and Baby Driver (very much recommended) after I woke up again, along with After the Storm, a Japanese movie about a failing novelist trying (sort of) to be a better father, ex-husband and son. (Wasn’t into it at first but I think I liked it overall.)

Comcast fixed the issue this morning (apparently I had gotten disconnected somehow, possibly because another tenant in my building may have moved out this week and they disconnected the wrong unit, but that’s just speculation), so time for one or more of Tacoma, Heat Signature, Cryptark, or Pyre. Plus checking in on the MMOs I have on tap, particularly GW2 due to the recent expansion.

And I’d like to get in some Borderlands 2 but that’s dependent on a friend being available so we’ll see.

Ninja Dodo says:

I briefly tried FUGL. Seems early, as per early access, (not really sure why I keep changing into different birds) but the flying is neat.

Played a bit of Epistory Typing Chronicles… the movement feel is a little stiff but I like the magic via typing words a lot. That part is great. Like there’s an enemy coming at you and you’re typing synonyms – burning – flame – cinders – to do fire-based attacks, or say typing the names of plants to make them bloom again. Seems a really fitting mechanic since magic in myth is so often strongly tied to the names of things.

45. mactier says:

I think Divinity Original Sin 2 has people blinded, it is a boring waste of time. Granted I am stuck at the first two major battles (Houndsmaster, Arena), but everything takes forever and it just doesn’t interest me. I think it has people blinded because of the skilled and consistent incorporation of possibilities. The contents are pretty ordinary. 80% stuff (with 90% being mostly what it is given) that is left on the side by most or only occasionally mentioned in unexcited tones. And regarding the possibilities: well, so has an editor…

• mactier says:

I think I meant to say implementation instead of incorporation, which sounds awkward.

And regarding the “everything takes forever”: I think that is also how people are often blinded about their imagined “addiction”…

46. welverin says:

Still Destiny 2, though I did start Titanfall 2 and I might focus on that now that I’ve run out of new missions in Destiny 2.

Comment on this story