The Jackbox Party Pack 4 brings more anarchic audience participation on October 19th

jackbox

I’ve not played as many Jackbox Party Pack [official site] games as I would have liked, but what memories I do have of this brilliant spinoff from the You Don’t Know Jack series tend to reduce me to fits of giggles. For those unfamiliar, the Party Packs are quickfire party-style quiz games of creative smartarsery and misinformation, designed to either be played locally with friends or livestreamed (allowing for audience participation) with each player inputting their answers through a phone, tablet or similar.

The fourth set, bringing one returning favourite and three (and a half) new games, is now due for release on Steam, October 19th

Top billing in the Party Pack 4 is the third iteration of Fibbage, a game of writing convincingly wrong answers to otherwise coherent trivia quiz questions in the hopes that your friends will fall for them when they try to answer in earnest. There’s also a more personal variant – ‘Enough About You’ – which is about guessing weird facts about your friends. Being the third (and a half) iteration in four party packs, this one seems a safe bet.

Second on the list goes to Survive The Internet, a game about internet comments, and twisting them to serve your sinister purposes. If that’s not an invitation to let your inner idiot run rampant, I don’t know what is. Third up is Monster Seeking Monster, a game about dating monsters with special powers. Not quite sure how that’ll work mechanically, but it sounds like a fun hook.

Bracketeering seems like the game best suited to online audience involvement. Stupid questions and/or timeless internet arguments are posited, and players bet on which side will win the argument, regardless of their personal opinion. If true to Jackbox standards, playing this through Twitch or similar will allow the audience to handle the voting, while the players focus firmly on the betting.

Last up is Civic Doodle, a game of ‘improving’ town murals. Drawing games have always been the wild-card of Jackbox games. Some of them weak, but I cannot sing enough praises for Tee K.O. from the third instalment, wherein players attempt to design and vote on the best T-shirt design you can assemble from a grab-bag of logos and slogans submitted by your rivals.

It seems like a solid enough lineup, conceptually. The fourth pack is also introducing more streaming-related options to the mix, including customisable turn timers (to compensate for the inherent lag of internet broadcasting), and ‘manual censoring’, presumably letting the host pick and choose the specific level of bad language and general internet crudity allowed.

The Jackbox Party Pack 4 is out on Steam on October 19th, and will be priced at £19/23/$25.

1. Gus the Crocodile says:

Tee KO probably works better with a bigger crowd, I guess? We tried it with four and while the initial reveals are fun, there’s a bit too much repetition of “that one good shirt” over multiple screens.

In any case, I’ll definitely be picking this up if my housemate doesn’t get to it on PS4 first.

• Kitsunin says:

With a few exceptions, I don’t think most party pack games are very good with four. Typically for those that play eight, you want as close to eight as you can get. It’s nice, because they fit a setting which is hard to cater to, but it’s lame, because having that many people together at once is extremely rare.

• Gus the Crocodile says:

I can see how many of the designs would be better with more, yeah. Nonetheless, I’d say we’ve got our money’s worth out of 1-3.

• Obi-Sean says:

I know what you mean about user numbers. The first time I played it with 4 and it was great. We had to ban drawing dicks because the winner was always “The dick shirt with the best quote”. It was still interesting even after that, but it grew a little stale with a small crowd.

• The First Door says:

My group loves the Jackbox 1 & 2 games, and play them regularly at 4 and 5 players, but some certainly work better at that number. You Don’t Know Jack, Fibbage, and Bididiots in particular work well around those numbers, as does Earwax is you don’t peek at people answering.

We got the 3rd Jackbox, however, and we only really played it once. I found it relatively disappointing, to be honest, as it didn’t feel like there was enough scope for people to be clever and surprising. While I quite liked Trivia Murder Party, Tee KO was really rather dull. It looks beautiful but there was too much time drawing, not enough time actually interacting with your friends.

2. Jalan says:

Tee K.O. is long and often (not always, however) unfunny. It’s also one of the bigger pieces (alongside Quiplash) of “racist/misogynist/etc. flypaper” in the Jackbox arsenal, with or without the precautionary options in place. I’m not necessarily thrilled that many of the games in the fourth are like it (in that they’re long, not necessarily that they’re going to be the go-to place to see a bunch of scummy rhetoric, though I guess when the game releases and people start streaming it we’ll see how that turns out) but I am glad they didn’t simply just sequelize more previous games and leave it at that (even if I did secretly hope they’d dust off YDKJ for at least one last hurrah).

Anyway, the mechanics behind Monster Seeking Monster aren’t really that much of a mystery at all. The Jackbox devs have streamed the games previously and (with the exception of bugs at the time) they all seem to be fairly easy to pick up and play.

Comment on this story