Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization announced

I'd go for a little sleepie in a cradle right now.

Paradox’s historical strategy Europa Universalis IV [official site] will expand once more later this year with Cradle of Civilization, the next paid expansion. Its main focus is Muslim empires, expanding and reworking the Persian region and Islam. And as is the Paradox strategy way, the expansion will be accompanied by a free update bringing related changes for all players.

Paradox blast these as the bullet points for Cradle of Civilization:

• Mamluk Government: In a diverse empire, where the slaves are now masters, new sultans must rely on cultural power to stay viable.
  • Persian Theocracy: Persian nations can use the power of the faith to bolster their regime.
  • Tribal Federations: The Black and White Sheep tribes in Armenia and Mesopotamia must expand to exploit the unity of local clans.
  • Army Professionalism: The Age of Mercenaries slowly transitions to the Age of Standing Armies as you recruit new generals and drill your peacetime army.
  • Iqta Taxes: Muslim governments can impose new taxes every 20 years for special bonuses.
  • Trade Policies: Instruct your merchants to take actions in trade nodes to increase your trade power or military advantage.
  • Islamic Schools: The wide range of Sunni and Shia disciplines offer unique perks to their disciples and transforms international relations across the Middle East.

While Paradox only formally announced the expansion today, they’ve been gabbing about it for a while. Over the past few months, they’ve posted developer diary entries detailing army drills and professionalism, trade policies, and tribal federations.

Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization and version 1.23 are due to launch some time in “late 2017”. The expansion will cost £14.99/€19.99/$19.99 on Steam.

As for the free update, that’s version 1.23 aka the ‘Persia Update’. It’ll make these lands more interesting to dovetail with the expansion’s new systems and content. Dev diary entries have explained adding new provinces and countries in Arabia and Egypt, changing the Caucasus and Anatolia, new trade goods and changes to the Iranian region, and reworking Islam and piety.

In other EU4 news, our boy Brendy today jets off to Poland for a LARP LAN party thingamy. We’ve tried convincing him that costumes are mandatory, so look forward to pictures of him surrounded by folks in regular clothes while he stands sheepish in a outfit hastily assembled in airport shops. My predictions include: a masquerade mask made from a sleep mask with cut-out eye holes and ornate doodles in gold glitter gel pen; a travel towel for a cape; a bag of boiled sweets as precious gems; a coiffured wig of Bodyform So Slim liners rolled into curls.

Carra says:

I love EU4, spent over 200 hours on the game with its first few expansions. It’s great to have a reason to go back to the game but they’re at 13 expansions now, it’s getting rather expensive to buy everything. And it’s also rather ridiculous if half the websites I find when googling “EU4 DLC” are guide like “Which EU4 DLC to buy?”

• GrumpyCatFace says:

Yeah, I just wait a few weeks, and get them for $5-10, instead of $20. It’s still cheaper than an MMO subscription, and has a lot more to offer, imo.

• klops says:

Also the DLC bundles are crappy. I want the DLCs with content and couldn’t care less about Sabaton singing christmas songs ot 3D modelled special buildings in my cities.

Please put the proper DLCs chronologically in three separate bundles and leave the cosmetic crap that no one watches anyway (who plays zoomed in?) away.

I love Paradox DLCs but if they make them, they should consider a better way of showing their products. Then again, seems to work for them sowhaddoiknow…

• Jason Lefkowitz says:

In Paradox’s defense, everything other than the most recently published DLC is generally available at a very steep discount (75%+ off) in the various Steam and Paradox Store scheduled sales. So if you’re willing to wait a little you can keep up with all the DLCs without spending much money at all.

That being said, though, the sheer volume of available DLC has to be bewildering for a newcomer — especially since it’s not obvious at a glance which DLCs add actual gameplay features and which are just cosmetic stuff like new unit models and music. They really need to come up with some way to distinguish the various DLCs better, and to make it easier for new players to get the really key DLCs without having to go through all the available offerings one by one.

• TheOx129 says:

I don’t when they exactly implemented it – I first noticed it a month or two ago – but at least on the Steam store pages, they explicitly note what type of DLC each is. Things are now listed like ‘Expansion – Conquest of Paradise’ or ‘Content Pack – Rights of Man’.

• Replikant says:

After not liking forts, estates, additinal micromanagement and the hurdles to blobbing, I went back to 1.11.4 and am quite happy. Also, I don’t care about new expansions anymore because I would have to accept the other bloat as well.

• Someoldguy says:

Me too. I’m on 1.15.1 and I think that’s where I’ll stay. I don’t see any particular fun to be had with the later features.

2. Rince says:

I got EUIV time ago. Played a bit vanilla and then forgot about it.
    Now, when I tried to come back, grabbing some DLC in the sales, I got so lost about what to buy in that sea of DLC that I ended not buying anything.
    Seriously, seems that one need to do a “Which DLC does and which suits you better” seminar before getting anything.

• Dogshevik says:

Start of seminar.
      When the new DLC is out, the rest is 75% cheaper. Like 5 bucks.
      In multiplayer if the host has a DLC all can use it.
      End of seminar.

• klops says:

That’s why I haven’t bought EU4. I’m certainly that type of person that needs to have all the content because otherwise the game “wouldn’t be complete”. But I’d like some. Then again, the world is filled with good games, so finding the proper DLCs among the crappy bundles or comparing the DLCs with each other does not interest me that much. I can always get another game. Or try to finish my first CK2 campaign. Or finally start Vicky 2.

• Someoldguy says:

When I went looking for advice on which EU IV packs to get to add significant features without too much junk it wasn’t that hard to find. That was 18 months ago or so, but I’m sure people are still discussing these things. However I would say that if you haven’t even bought the base game, there’s no reason not to start with just that. It’s a fine game in itself without any of the added clutter.

• ramshackabooba says:

Honestly you can play EU4 just fine without any DLCs. There’s only one DLC that I recommend above all the others only because it adds an almost mandatory feature if you’re playing outside Europe, and that’s Common Sense, which lets you develop provinces. After that, it’d be Art of War because adds nice-to-have features like switching province occupation and what not. Just buy them when on sale, I’ve never paid more than $10 for any expansion.

3. Flavorfish says:

I love EU4 but over time I’ve developed a more damning gripe then just the broken DLC model:

The game is as complex as a Boeing 747 but has the depth of a puddle. All of these complex difficult to read systems boil down to an incredibly rote gameplay loop. It doesn’t help that the dlc model means that many new mechanics are built in isolation and don’t feel connected to the rest of the game.

4. fearandloathing says:

Wish they would integrate DLCs into the base game after a year or so, like release an EU4-2017 that includes all DLCs up to now*. OK it sounds like (and it is, in a way) asking them to freely distribute new content, but I bought the game in 2014, and bought some DLCs when there was a discount, but I’m still waaaay behind and damn sure I won’t be going in anytime soon.

PS: Now that I think of it, packing yearly versions together and separating them from the continuous DLC loop would address one particular issue that PDX gets a lot of flak about: new patches being developed for latest DLCs, hence messing up with non-DLCd players games. Just pack them together, ask for an upgrade fee, then freeze the game with a final patch.

5. jeremyalexander says:

And the worst DLC policies in gaming go unpunished again. These Paradox games are the worst cancer in gaming and they never get called in it. They now have multiple games that if not bought during a sale would cost more together than a top of the line gaming PC. And people are crying about the Creation Club? They say a sucker is born every minute which means the sucker factory at Paradox are working unpaid overtime. There is simply no defense for this. Paradox does game design, hacks it up into 100 pieces and pretends that they are “expanding” the core game. smh, only very stupid and simple people could possibly justify this.

• Sakkura says:

“Never get called on it” as in prominent and loud whining every single time there is any article about Paradox games. Also rampant review bombing on Steam.

And no, their DLC policy is FAR from the worst in the industry. If you play multiplayer, only the host needs the DLC for everyone to get access to it. And their post-release support is among the best in the industry – specifically because they can fund it by releasing DLC.

As for hacking the game design up into 100 pieces, that’s just wrong. EUIV was a complete game when it launched.

Comment on this story