Overwatch tweaking Mercy’s Resurrection again

Mercy, the angelic medic of Overwatch [official site], will likely soon have her newfound powers of resurrection a little less godlike. Demigodlike, perhaps? Raising the dead will surely always be supernatural at bare minimum. But after turning Mercy’s Resurrection skill from her Ultimate into a regular one, giving her a huge buff, she might be a little too powerful. So Blizzard have fired up the test servers with a crucial tweak to how Resurrection works in combination with her Valkyrie skill.

Valkyrie is Mercy’s new Ultimate, added to replace Resurrection, and it temporarily gives an array of buffs which include instantly taking Resurrection off cooldown and reducing Resurrection’s cooldown time to 10 seconds. The potential tweak to Valkyrie, now live on the test server, is simple:

• No longer resets or lowers Resurrection’s cooldown. Instead it now doubles Resurrection’s range

Valkyrie will still give Mercy the other benefits — faster movement, a blappier gun, longer range, and all that — but Resurrection won’t be quite so strong. Or it’ll be differently strong? The reason it’s on the test server is so Blizzard can see.

Blizzard might well tweak this change or scrap it entirely before it even hits the live servers, mind. That’s test servers for you. If they do move ahead with this plan, we don’t yet know when that would be.

Have your games been plagued by angels since Mercy’s rework, gang?

FeloniousMonk says:

I don’t really like her either way. Her previous ult made for some really goofy strategy, most famously the “hide until everyone dies” ultra-rez which discouraged active play. Her new ult is harder to manage, and that’s good, but man, there’s a lot of crap being flung around when she does a solitary rez – everyone thinks THEY should be the one she picks up, even if she’s got to dash halfway across the map to do it. So the amount of in-game toxicity per Mercy has definitely gone up since the last patch. I was never a Mercy main – I just don’t have the patience for it – but I’ve been happy to see a Lucio or Ana on my squad because I know there won’t be nearly as much complaining.

• Voronwer says:

God, the good old complaint from people dealing with Mercy’s who can’t play. I’m sorry you apparently only played with those wanting to get points in comp. Mercy was one of the best healers in the game. As a tank, I was always happy to have my friend who’s a Mercy main at my back. They never hid ever and I don’t know any decent Mercy’s who used that strategy. But yeah, the toxicity was predictable. Her new ult should have been her E and they should have let the rez alone.

The nerf they did to her completely ruined what the character meant and all because some DPS mains went crying. It told me exactly where the game’s priorities were, especially when they then nerfed my main tank for the same idiotic reasons.

So yeah, seeing this just confirms to me that I’m done with this game.

2. FurryLippedSquid says:

Boobs.

I mean you just can’t help it. I thought Blizzard were trying to tone down that sort of stuff?

FeloniousMonk says:

Funny that you point this out. Yes, in the above picture there is a lot of boobage, but I’ve caught myself thinking that Blizzard has indeed toned down the boobage – nobody in OW is particularly top heavy – but then the hip to waist ratio/obsession with skintight butts has just gone bonkers. Widowmaker, Tracer, Symmetra, Mercy, they all have these butts that are like three times the width of their shoulders. It’s probably most egregious on Widowmaker, but noticeable on everyone. I read something last week about how Tracer’s buttcleft is many times deeper than a normal person and she probably wouldn’t be able to walk in real life.

The fact that I read such an article and that such an article exists at all should be considered with a certain measure of concern.

• Excors says:

The new heroes are even worse – just look at Orisa’s hip-to-waist ratio. And to make it doubly bad she’s got two pairs of hips.

• goodpoints says:

Widowmaker looks like a centaur.

merc’s tibs did seem to grow quite a bit in her Nike skin. (which is just awful in every way, why did they not go with unornamented chiffon a la Nike of Samothrace?)

anyway…more on topic I never understood why they didn’t just give other healers some lesser rez abilities. For me, the main issue with Mercy has always been that she’s really the only hero that is essentially mandatory for most teams that aren’t some trendy meta comp. Every function except for rezing has overlap between multiple heroes.

• Excors says:

I don’t think that’s the only one – Lucio’s speed boost is unique too. In pro tournaments he has had a >95% pick rate for ages (because the ability to get into position before the enemy team does, and to chase and to escape, is incredibly important), though much lower in ranked competitive games (maybe it needs too much team coordination to be worthwhile, whereas Mercy’s res is particularly useful when your team is *not* coordinated and people keep getting picked off early).

More healer heroes with more overlap between their secondary abilities would be nice, so that a must-pick ability doesn’t equate to a must-pick hero, giving support players some more freedom and variety.

• Arathain says:

Blizzard are still designing attractive female characters. As the sort of person who complains at excessive male-gaze eye candy depictions of women in games I’m mostly comfortable with how Blizzard are doing right now, for a couple of reasons:

Firstly, there’s plenty of diversity. You have female characters in revealing clothes, but also practically dressed female characters and a range in between, while doing a bit better with a range of body types. See the range from Widowmaker through Tracer to Zarya and Mei. It helps that they have learned to avoid creepy body-hugging camera work in cut scenes since Kerrigan in Heart of the Swarm.

Secondly, male characters, who are always more diverse in body types, are sometimes also allowed to be eye-candy. See Hanzo and lifeguard McCree, but also the summer Tychus skin for Heroes of the Storm.

It’s not a problem in itself to have sexy female characters. As is pointed out in all of these debates, sexy is fine and shaming anybody for wanting to enjoy sexiness isn’t. But when sexy women predominate, or where there aren’t other good options, or where the portrayal is highly objectifying, then we have problems.

Blizzard aren’t perfect, and reasonable people can disagree on how well they’re doing, but they’re making an effort that is meeting with some success and I appreciate that.

• Faxanadu says:

Soooo… Sexy is okay if there’s hot black men? I’m not being snarky, just having trouble with the logic. Why is it not okay to cater to a specific audience?

• Faxmachinen says:

When you look at the South Park flag, you see a little harmless capital punishment. You see catering to an audience where others see Imperial Laundry Co.

Back in the day, women used to be presented as stereotypical eye candy in just about every video game, pandering to popular sexism. Obviously the industry has gotten better since then, but it’s still a sore spot.

Overwatch is challenged because it’s an icon of contemporary gaming, not because it’s an egregious example of sexism. The industry still has a long way to go, and so we must send them the message wherever they’re looking.

• Faxanadu says:

Lol late response: Okay, I can understand that. But hopefully it won’t happen through pressuring someone.

• April March says:

They are trying to tone it down, but (if my perception of events is correct) they only started to care about it when the first betas went public and people started to complain. So most of the oldest female characters (Tracer, Widowmaker, Mercy) are Standard Vidya Game Gurls while female characters added since (Mei, Ana, Pharah, Orisa) are more varied. Whether they should be lauded for their about-face or scorned for doing the barest fucking minimum is something only you can decide for yourself.

• -funkstar- says:

It is toned down as compared to, say, Dragon’s Crown. Progress!

Maybe I’m just too old for this shit: do you know that feeling you get, when confronted with youthful projection of (over)confidence? How transparent it all feels? That’s how this feels…

• Faxanadu says:

Yes, it’s a wonderful picture. Only reason I clicked and read this article. Revenue from the haters and the lovers, it’s a win win.

Don Reba says:

I only play OW on free weekends and main Mercy and Ana. The changes definitely did feel like a big buff.

• April March says:

I also only play on free weekends, but the only healer I play as is Lúcio. Even then I agree. If the opposing team had Mercy she absolutely had to be a priority target; until Mercy was down you couldn’t kill anyone else.

4. mitrovarr says:

I really hated this last update. Mercy completely and overwhelmingly overshadowed every other healer, and got up to a nearly 100% competitive pick rate. It’s such a completely unbalanced mess that I kind of gave up on Overwatch’s balance team entirely and started into another team-based hero shooter.

The amount of hostility in their forum right now is staggering, between Mercy players trying to defend their ridiculously overpowered state and everyone else trying to tear it down. It’s a huge fiasco.

5. Inu says:

I saw the rez nerf coming a mile away.

My friend had a few games where he beat his “Pre-change rez record”.

Comment on this story