Warframe’s open-world Plains of Eidolon out next week

The ‘Plains of Eidolon’ expansion for Warframe [official site] will launch on PC next week, developers Digital Extremes announced today, taking the fine free-to-play action-RPG from the confines of dungeons and missions into a new open-world zone. The Plains are big land to explore (and fly over, if you want), with baddies to fight and fishing to do. They follow a day/night cycle too, with dreadful beasties and ghosties (the eponymous Eidolons) from an ancient war awakening once the sun goes down. Hey, no one said the outside world was safe.

The Plains of Eidolon are about three square kilometres to lark about and murder in, with nastier enemies as you get deeper and those awful big’uns at night. Up to four players can adventure together, though the hub city of Cetus holds up to fifty.

Cetus is home to a new faction, the Ostrons, who have new merchants, new weapon crafting, new quests, and whatnot. Also, I’m reading that “their rich culture that revolves around the grotesque harvesting of biomechanical tissue from long-dormant Orokin Towers”. Great. Lovely. What fine new friends.

Check Warframe’s Plains of Eidolon page for more on everything in the expansion, including a new Focus system, a new warframe named Gara, and new weapons. Here’s a big hunk of action from a September livestream:

Warframe is free-to-play through Steam and its own client.

1. Xzi says:

So this is probably still better than Destiny 2, right? Especially with updates.

• Anti-Skub says:

The question should be is Destiny 2 as good as this? Warframe stopped being a small time indie game a long time ago. It now has a population count and budget that would make most AAA developers jealous. Just check out their latest full building Times Square billboard. Bungie are the underdog in this fight these days.

• Daemoroth says:

Yeah, really surprised me how much I enjoy Warframe (God, does that sound like a line out of a commercial).

Honestly though, been meaning to try it out for more that a year, and finally did after I hit all the milestones on Destiny 2 early last week (i.e. nothing left to do for the rest of the week for someone like me – not into raiding much).

And haven’t played Destiny 2 since.

• Anti-Skub says:

The best thing about Warframe in my opinion is that because it started off as a really simple, shallow game and rapidly expanded over several years…all of the newer content is later on in the game. Which means that unlike Destiny 2, which is front loaded with cool stuff and then kinda fizzles out; Warframe gets better further in.

One thing that I think a lot of people don’t expect from the opening few hours, is just how great the plot is. There’s so much hidden depth to the lore. There’s a certain plot twist that might be the most surprising and enjoyable twist I’ve experienced in the video game.

2. JRHaggs says:

What the hell is that giant thing looming in the header image? I truly can’t tell what I’m looking at.

Is it a bipedal turtle wearing a spiked cummerbund with some sort of zenomorph like graspy bits holding an enormous hot dog on its back? Looks like maybe it’s bowling with a huge fetus or something?

• kinyajuu says:

ROFL, now that’s all I can see when looking at it. It’s left hand looks like the head of a T-Rex.

• JRHaggs says:

BUT SERIOUSLY WHAT IS IT?

• Tritagonist says:

The Warframe website mentions “towering Spectral Sentients known as Eidolons [who] ascend from the waters and wander in search of all they’ve lost.”

• YogSo says:

This particular Eidolon lost most of his right arm during the Sentient war, and when the sun sets down it raises from the waters in search of it.

In the meantime, it has replaced the missing arm with a very fashionable tree. Like, literally: link to n8k6e2y6.ssl.hwcdn.net

• gwop_the_derailer says:

I really like Warframe’s aesthetic sensibilities.

• JRHaggs says:

Haha. Those are the same thing? The fuck… I still have no idea what I’m looking at.

3. BaronKreight says:

Still skeptical not about the idea but about the implementation. Worth checking out anyway. One of the things I really like about Warframe is their engine. It looks really good being not overwhelmingly demanding.