Larian have launched a honking great update for Divinity: Original Sin 2 [official site], now glurping down datapipes to a game near you. It’s a cracking RPG, our Adam’s Divinity: Original Sin 2 review will tell you, though the many moving parts that make it so much fun to mess about with have inevitably left a few little glitches. Today’s patch brings bug fixes, a few prettied-up UI bits, and some balance changes including making Bone Widow less powerful.As big issues get stamped out, I hope all that’s left for future patches is weird edge cases that make patch notes silly fun reading in themselves. These I’ve picked out hint at some of the promise:
- Spider legs now correctly prevent player from getting Webbed
- Reduced Chicken form running distance to 6 meters
- Fixed melee and rogue archetypes ignoring characters with Stench talent
- Voidwoken chicken should not be able to absorb source points
- Fixed crash if you choose to sleep again with lizard after you put on all equipment and the thieves were already killed
- Fixed creating water on top of electrified cursed blood: now leaves electrified water
I suppose you’ll probably want to read version 220.127.116.119’s full patch notes to see everything that changed.
I do enjoy the mental exercise of imagining a game backwards from patch notes. Using information divined from the errors and oddities removed from a game, what would you imagine it to be? Patch notes can capture the spirit of a game in a fun and surprising way, especially in games with complex interweaving systems. A big enough Dwarf Fortress patch could fuel years of wildly different games.