Divinity: Original Sin 2 summons big patch

Larian have launched a honking great update for Divinity: Original Sin 2 [official site], now glurping down datapipes to a game near you. It’s a cracking RPG, our Adam’s Divinity: Original Sin 2 review will tell you, though the many moving parts that make it so much fun to mess about with have inevitably left a few little glitches. Today’s patch brings bug fixes, a few prettied-up UI bits, and some balance changes including making Bone Widow less powerful.

As big issues get stamped out, I hope all that’s left for future patches is weird edge cases that make patch notes silly fun reading in themselves. These I’ve picked out hint at some of the promise:

• Spider legs now correctly prevent player from getting Webbed
  • Reduced Chicken form running distance to 6 meters
  • Fixed melee and rogue archetypes ignoring characters with Stench talent
  • Voidwoken chicken should not be able to absorb source points
  • Fixed crash if you choose to sleep again with lizard after you put on all equipment and the thieves were already killed
  • Fixed creating water on top of electrified cursed blood: now leaves electrified water

I suppose you’ll probably want to read version 3.0.146.559’s full patch notes to see everything that changed.

I do enjoy the mental exercise of imagining a game backwards from patch notes. Using information divined from the errors and oddities removed from a game, what would you imagine it to be? Patch notes can capture the spirit of a game in a fun and surprising way, especially in games with complex interweaving systems. A big enough Dwarf Fortress patch could fuel years of wildly different games.

1. Bull0 says:

>Fixed crash if you choose to sleep again with lizard after you put on all equipment and the thieves were already killed

Pure poetry

Aerothorn says:

“Reduced survivability and base damage of Bone Widow.”

Well, I just cast this for the first time last night. Glad I got to see it in all its terrifying glory before it got patched.

• Auldman says:

Same here! Cast it last night in that glorious fight with Jonathan and the Oil/Fire Slugs and it was a massive help in taking those out so…drat!!

• DarkFenix says:

Considering how absurdly powerful the incarnate is, it’s confusing that they’ve gone round making sure all the other summoned creatures are completely worthless. Bone widow was the topic of many a discussion on the forum about whether it or the incarnate was better, never coming to a solid conclusion, that’s how all the summons should be in my opinion.

3. AutonomyLost says:

I began running into a HARD crash but with this game last week and have been putting off playing it until I can do so with no anxiety. Hopefully this patch will do the trick, as I love what I’ve experienced (which is about three hours) so far.

4. SP1041TKE says:

Damnit, ruptured chicken was my go to strategy. Built my party around it.

• Zenicetus says:

Haven’t tried it under the new patch, but the notes only mention running distance, not duration. So chicken claw + rupture tendon should still cause the same damage?

• Fade2Gray says:

I was starting to think they had already patched the chicken behavior. After the last patch, every time I cast chicken claw and used rupture, the chicken would just stand around not doing anything.

5. SuicideKing says:

These patch notes are absurd, love it. :D

6. tsff22 says:

Hopefully they’ll soon comment on the whole mod/achievement conflict thing. It really seems rather backwards considering this lock didn’t exist in the original.

7. Dewal says:

“Added several improvements and hints in Arx that tie people together, and that introduce places and characters (e.g. added a thief corpse/ghost in the death-fog storage room)”

Argh, too late… I finished the game three days ago with a bitter after taste on the Arx ark. :(
    It was clearly the weakest one, with little to no clues on what we were supposed to do and got tired after having to read soluces to finish half the quests there. In the end I rushed to finish the game without doing the other half of the side quests because I was tired of running around the city. But it’s nice they’re addressing it.

8. Ugubriat says:

Voidwoken chicken should not be able to absorb source points

Comment on this story