“Brand new content” coming to Hitman

hitman

IO continue to keep Agent 47 in work, despite the final Elusive Contract for Hitman [official site] finishing earlier in the year, and also despite being dumped by Square Enix. This month will see the big baldy assassin hunt down marks in more player-created ‘featured contracts’, a new challenge pack, and a new set of featured contracts chosen by Hatch, a Hitman speedrunner. Also expect to hear about some “brand new content” near the end of the month.

The Master Scarecrow Challenge Pack includes five challenges for the Colorado map, the only one to not receive a challenge pack until now. Completing all five challenges will net you a new item that Agent 47 can use, but IO are keeping schtum about what exactly the item is until next week.

IO have been sifting through player-made contracts, and they’ve picked out 10 of the most attention grabbing. Like the challenge pack, you’ll be able to play them come October 13. And if you’ve made a contract that you think deserves to be featured, plug it on the Hitman forums.

Later in the month, Hatch’s contract picks will be showcased. That’s another 10 contracts for you to try and pull off. I absolutely love this, since it ensures that a more diverse set of missions will rise to the top. Hatch’s picks are probably going to be different from what IO would choose, as well as what other players selected in previous months. If you want to know more about his choices, keep an eye out for another blog post later this month.

On top of this, IO are also poised to reveal “brand new content” for Hitman on October 24. Unfortunately they make clear that it’s not Season 2, which is what we all really want. Aside from attempting to keep expectations in check, IO are not giving anything away, so we’ll just have to wait to find out. My money’s on a new set of Halloween-themed Elusive Contracts, but I’ve got nothing to go on aside from my excellent gut.

1. Iskariot says:

I am very surprised.
    Is this free content?
    I really enjoyed Hitman, although I was not at all a fan of the episodic release schedule. That is why I bought the game as soon as it was reported to be complete.

• KastaRules says:

Same here.

• Massenstein says:

Yea, the episodeyness removed some of my favourite things from Blood Money, mainly the incentive to try to do a perfect and clean job. I couldn’t care less about achievements and the unlocked guns and stuff also felt very unnecessary. Though probably the game is better for more people the way it is now, but some sort of optional “career mode” would have been just boss.

• CriticalMammal says:

I’m kinda confused by this stance now that season 1 is fully released. New HITMAN’s structure is almost exactly how I remember Blood Money’s mission structure. They’re a set of intricately detailed individual mission maps with some loose narrative to tie together reasons to be there. Only difference was new HITMAN released them over a period of time?

And I’m pretty sure the silent assassin requirements were identical to Blood Money in terms of the clean job incentive? With some minor design differences I thought it was about as close to a modern Blood Money as the Hitman series could get.

• jonahcutter says:

Blood Money actually had an overarching notoriety system. If you left too much of a mess and were spotted too much it would up guard sensitivity to you in following missions.

It was too easily made irrelevant by simply paying bribes out in the between mission screen that would reset your notoriety. But I would attempt playthroughs on the highest difficulty and without saving, mission restarting or bribing, which would make for some delightfully and increasingly tense gameplay.

Blood Money also had a slow-mo health recovery mechanic. When 47 received a fatal final shot he would enter bullet time to give the player a chance to fight their way out of a sticky situation. The mechanic is actually instrumental in the design of the brilliant final episode of Blood Money, 47’s funeral. It was a great mechanic and inexplicably absent from the latest Hitman.

2. TaylanK says:

Who’s Agent 47? Have they renamed Ian Hitman?

• April March says:

Agent 47 is Ian Hitman’s username from his teens that he doesn’t like any more but still has to use on really old sites that don’t allow name changes.

3. Banks says:

This could mean good or bad news. If it is a new mission before a proper season 2 then that’s great. If they canned S2 and they offer this “new content” as a closure, then I will be very sad.