Shovel Knight meets the Battletoads in his latest update

Shovel Knight x Battle Toads

The Battletoads have escaped the confines of Microsoft’s corporate grasp and have made their way to the greater PC audience through Shovel Knight [official site] update. You can now meet, battle and befriend the burly amphibian trio in a whole new level. This was initially exclusively to Xbox then spread to the Windows 10 version, and thanks to last week’s update (full patch notes here) everyone on PC can now play it.

It’s an impressively fun level at that, and a real nostalgia trip if you have any fond/painful memories of the cult platform-brawler series. The Battletoads stage (unlocked through a secret area in the Hall of Champions) is split into three distinct segments, one of which reprises the infamous Turbo Tunnel level, destroyer of souls and devourer of extra lives.

While you should ideally experience it yourself, here’s a video from ‘Prepare to Game’ of the level getting thoroughly beaten. While not quite as brutal as the notoriously frustrating NES original, it’s a respectably tough challenge, although not without its rewards in the form of loot, posing and terrible puns.

At this point, the only thing the PC version of the game is lacking is the Playstation-exclusive fight against Kratos from God Of War, which you can watch on Youtube here. But let’s be honest; Angry McMurderguy is probably a poor fit for the game, plus his level is a little underwhelming anyway.

Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove is out on Steam, Humble and GOG for £19/€23/$25, with the final expansion – King of Cards – due for release in early 2018, free for all owners of the Treasure Trove edition.

1. satan says:

Battletoads was probably the first game I picked up on an emulator, just so I could savescum through to finish the god damn thing.

2. Addie says:

I could legitimately make it 3/4 of the way up the final, Nebulous-style tower, but could never make it any further, in dozens and dozens of attempts. Which made it all the more gutting when youtube and the like came around, and I could see that I was only thirty seconds away from finishing the cursed thing.

Same thing goes for the NES Ninja Turtles game, though – could make it to the last corridor of the technodrome, and never make it any further. Nintendo and their developers used to like to guarantee longevity by having a massive, unfair difficulty spike right before the end.

• Addie says:

(That was meant to be a reply to our dark lord and master Satan there above, and for some reason my edit button has disappeared…)

• satan says:

Yeah I used to mostly rent console games, and Battletoads would always be there on the store shelf, unfinished… taunting me…

3. AbyssUK says:

FYI – I used to own a full jamma arcade cabinet and with the original Battletoads and TMNT jamma boards.
    Yes I was awesome..then madness came over me and I sold them all to make way for a cot…

Edit: Before anybody asks.. yes i did also have Bucky O’hare… what you think i was stupid or something..

4. dystome says:

This game really is a thing of wonder. It’s impressive enough to be arguably the best retro-styled 2D platformer among about a million other games vying for that title. To also be adding significant enjoyable extra content that no one was pushing for three years after release shows the devs really care about making this thing great.

• DrJ3RK says:

Shovel Knight, Sundered, Dead Cells, and Axiom Verge are my favorite side scrollers of recent times, and may actually extend to all time. I own Shovel Knight on PC, Wii-U, and 3DS. Good game.

5. SuperTim says:

I have very mixed feeling with the game… I like the retro style much, but I don’t seem to get to anywhere.

In fact I only got past the first few levels, so while I do like all these updates, I just do feel like playing it any more.

particlese says:

Ah, cool! I was hoping the music would get some sort of Shovel Knight treatment, and I wasn’t disappointed. Good to hear that old music again, in slightly spiffed up fashion.

Comment on this story