Stronghold 2: Steam Edition brings back multiplayer

stronghold2

Launched in 2005, Stronghold 2 [official site] is a castle sim that tasks you with managing a medieval fortress where you can throw fancy parties, organise jousting tournaments, bully peasants and duke it out with other lords over who gets to rule the land. Last week, it popped up on Steam in a new edition that reintroduces multiplayer while adding achievements, new maps and more. Best of all: it’s free if you’ve got the original.

Until last week, the only way to get Stronghold 2 on Steam was inside the Stronghold Collection, but it didn’t have multiplayer support after Gamespy’s demise. Or at least it didn’t have official support, though with some faffing around you could play using GameRanger. That’s a pretty good reason to upgrade, but the Steam Edition also introduces plenty of extra features.

Achievements, Steam cards, six new maps and improved graphics round out the enhancements. And while the original supported the creation of custom maps, you can now use the Steam Workshop to share and download them.

Despite being a bit ambivalent about castles ever since I was attacked by a ferocious wasp in one 25 years ago, I’ve got fond memories of Stronghold 2. It’s part RTS, part sim, part economics game, and while each individual element has been done better since, Stronghold 2 does a good job of combining them.

Stronghold 2: Steam Edition is out now on Steam, obviously, with a 15% launch discount. Until October 12, you’ll be able to pick it up for £10.19/$12.74/€12.74, but it’s a free upgrade if you already own the original game on Steam.

1. GrumpyCatFace says:

This actually makes me very happy. We can only hope that updating older games becomes a trend.

• sosolidshoe says:

Indeed. There are so many excellent games, many not even that old, that struggle on modern hardware, have missing multiplayer, or weren’t quite complete when they first came out that deserve to be revisited.

I’d kill for updated(and, in the latter case, fleshed out a bit) versions of KotOR and KotOR2.

• Ghostwise says:

While I have ample reservations about GOG, they do exist. :-)

2. Baring says:

I just had a game on this with 2 mates yesterday. There are no ai opponents in multiplayer and the game started having horrendous lagspikes after about an hour into our game. Said lagspikes continued to worsen and lasted upwards of 20 seconds each with 4 seconds of playtime in between. We all have decent pc’s and connections.

3. TotallyUseless says:

Your granaries are dwindling my liege.

• Gomer_Pyle says:

“Wood needed!”

(My brother and I used to think he was saying, “wouldn’t need it” and were wondering why the adviser was telling us that we shouldn’t build a building.)

4. racccoon says:

These people are biggest con artists out there before this steam launch!
    They’d compulsive ban you after you gave them money for stupid advancement cards and gave no reason for the ban, no refund of your funds as they never ever answered any support questions. Once they banned anyone that had a no reply no matter why they did it!
    The games holders are thieves and crooks.

• LuNatic says:

I’m guessing that English might not be your first language, but I have no idea what you’re talking about and I doubt I’m alone in this.

Can you repeat that with context and grammar?

Comment on this story