Assassin’s Creed Origins getting daily quests and other live bits

Free bits coming to Assassin’s Creed Origins [official site] in the weeks and months after launch will include battles against gods, a wave survival arena mode, and the promised tourism of Discovery Mode. Ubi today detailed their post-launch plans, which include some nice bits and pieces, then went on to announce all the paid DLC because apparently this is something people find exciting. I’m still baffled by DLC announcements coming when I haven’t even bought the game yet and certainly don’t fancy paying extra up front, but here we go.

First, the free stuff.

‘Trials of the Gods’ sound a bit like Hitman’s elusive contracts. Ubi say: “Epic boss battles against Egyptian gods that take place during special timed events – victorious players will receive prestigious rewards.” The first will kick off 15 days after AssCreedOr launches, so Saturday the 11th of November I guess. Similarly Hitman-y (but also quite reminding me of Destiny’s Xur) is The Nomad’s Bazaar, a wandering merchant with daily quests promising “mysterious exotic rewards”.

Early 2018 will bring Horde Mode with endless waves of baddies to murder in an arena, tracked on scoreboards. The previously-announced Discovery Mode, which includes both guided tours and the opportunity to explore the world without quests or fights, is also due in early 2018.

Onto things that will cost money! These two will be sold separately or come in the DLC season pass along with some trinkets and baubles.

• The Hidden Ones (DLC 1) – This expansion takes place years after the events of Assassin’s Creed Origins in a new region occupied by a Roman force. Bayek and the new Assassins will clash with the Romans as the Brotherhood continues to grow, and players will have a new level cap. Slated for release in January 2018.
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs (DLC 2) – The second expansion focuses on Egyptian mythology, pitting players against undead pharaohs and famed Egyptian monsters. Bayek will need to explore a mystical new realm and discover the root of the curse that has brought these creatures to life. This expansion will also raise the level cap again and introduce new skills for Bayek. Scheduled for a March 2018 launch.

I understand that announcing all this is broadly trying to cash in on fan devotion, pushing pre-orders and expensive fancy editions and whatnot, but I’m still surprised that the benefit of that is apparently enough to offset how off-putting it is to some other players. I do buy DLC and expansions for games I enjoy enough but the upsell on a game that’s not even out really puts me off. Weird. People are weird. Money is weird. Stuff is weird.

Assassin’s Creed Origins is due to launch on the 27th. Do check the system requirements if you’re interested.

1. DodoSandvich says:

But, but. Dailies is a skinner box technique meant to condition the player to check in to the game regularly. Why would you EVER want that in a singleplayer title. It’s just a mindless grab of popular design which doesn’t fit at all. Yeah skinner boxes are bad design in the first place, but in multiplayers where the size of the playerbase is crucial and with additional content to buy they at least make logical sense.

Wait a second. Does this have multiplayer? Or is it the lootboxes?

• welverin says:

It makes sense for consoles where the majority of people are still using discs, because if you can keep them coming back day after day they you can potentially reduce the number of trade ins.

phuzz says:

I hadn’t thought of that, but it does make sense. Apparently I was insufficiently cynical.
        Also it would tend to reduce people lending discs to their friends (which is the source of most of the console games in our house).

2. brucethemoose says:

I’m still baffled by DLC announcements coming when I haven’t even bought the game yet and certainly don’t fancy paying extra up front…

I prefer upfront expansion announcements, actually.

When making a buying decision, knowing that there’s more content available if I happen to love the game makes me more likely to buy the original game.

As related examples, I would’ve NEVER bought Stellaris if I knew there was going to be no DLC, and part of the reason I bought Mass Effect: Andromeda. was because I expected DLC (due to the hints about the Quarians… I learned my lesson).

Now, I’m not advocating trash DLC, pre-orders, cutting and selling a core aspect of the game separately, and so on. But there’s nothing wrong with announcing a big expansion before launch.

• welverin says:

While I don’t share you reason, I’m also fine with the early announcement of dlc.

If they’re not talking about it this early they probably haven’t started working on it. I want any dlc I might be interested in to come out when I’m still playing the game, once I finish it and move on it’s unlikely I’ll ever get around to it.cfor example it took me years to play the first expansion for Skyrim and I still haven’t played the second one (disregarding the house one).

3. vorador says:

Well, at least this time, while we’ve got randomized loot chests(!), there’s no premium currency so everything can be bought without expending and extra dime even if you wanted to. As far as i know, that’s an improvement over almost every big release by a western studio in this last quarter.

Yes, i’m cranky about it.

4. Chaz says:

All looks very Clash of the Titans from that screen shot. Do we get a mechanical owl as well?

5. BaronKreight says:

If memory serves me right I’ve never bought a season pass for any game. Who coined this word season pass anyway? It’s recent marketing stuff I guess.

6. drewski says:

Wait, there are *levels* in Assassin’s Creed games now? Whatever happened to just getting slightly better stabby things at certain points of the story? I know I’m behind on the series but I seem to have missed something important here.

In 20 years when I get around to playing this I look forward to being confused all over again.

7. Freud says:

I’m responding to this season pass/DLC release philosophy the only sensible way. I’m waiting for GOTY versions and since by that point I waited so long, I might as well wait for that to be on sale.

I’m not going to spend €90 to get the full experience, with the backlog I have.

Just finished Ori and the Blind Forest Definitive Edition and it was fantastic. Before that I played Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen. That was even better.

8. Zaxwerks says:

After their “always online” fiasco a few years back which saw me avoiding Ubisoft games for two years, I have always been wary of Ubisoft and online requirements in games. After a misfire or two with the likes of Anno’s online system, they are starting to get better and I am starting to trust them more.

As long as the online portion is added value and they don’t hobble the main game.

I also hope they finally fill the game with meaningful content and not a lot of dreadful filler content like collecting busywork like they normally do.

Comment on this story