Have You Played… Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist?

A delirious and witty post-Stanley Parable statement of intent from William Pugh’s Crows Crows Crows – twenty minutes long and no-pennies in price, you have no excuse not try it.

Where The Stanley Parable, a semi-comic first-person exploration of games, gaming and gamers, took a few steps into darkness and several more into self-reflection, Langeskov effectively takes the position that all of this stuff is very silly indeed and wouldn’t it be better if we all just laughed along with it? Even two years on, I don’t feel I should give any more away about Langeskov than that.

It is, like Stanley, primarily about rounding the next corner and waiting to see exactly which rug will be pulled from under you and it does, like Stanley, feature a narrator who is in equal parts friendly, antagonistic and comic. In other words, it is indeed a little familiar. But it’s really about spending a few minutes laughing at narrator Simon Anstell’s gags and enjoying a fairground ride full of very silly surprises.

There aren’t many studios that would chuck something like this out for free, for a laugh – to say hey everyone, let’s have fun together. And then maybe, just maybe, have a tiny little think about the expectations we place upon videogames.

1. Lars Westergren says:

I did, thanks to your recommendation, and I had a lovely time. Several laugh-out-loud moments.

2. Halk says:

Just tried to download it, but it seems to be Steam-exclusive, which is a little odd for a free game.

3. bill says:

Personally I didn’t find it funny and didn’t think it did anything interesting. Not half as good as The Stanley Parable demo.
    But hey, it was free so I’m not complaining.

4. Chorltonwheelie says:

In hands other than Crows Crows Crows this could have been excruciating self indulgent tosh.
    As it is, with Anstell’s help, it’s a thoughtful and witty little piece that’s easy to spend some of your time with.
    I would if I were you.

particlese says:

Yup, and glad I did! Some predictable stuff inside, but lots of surprises and good humor all around.

6. Scrap Princess says:

It was the game that made me stop trying these kind of games.
    Consider if , once you had finished the first bit , you got to go back and be the sucker on the other side of the stage , and had to deal with the results of all your dickery.

I know it’s against the grain of the joke “There’s This Great Thing But You Never Get To See HAw Haw” but that joke is tired anyhow, and the sudden switch of “oh shit I actually get to play that ” then “oh no I’m the guy I was just missing with”

7. caff says:

I thought it rather wonderful and insightful.

8. Serrit says:

Yup really enjoyed this – agreed that at the price you can’t complain! I still can never roll the full name off the top of my head when required though…

9. Jalan says:

This is confusing – is his name Simon Amstell or Simon Anstell?

Comment on this story