Stardew Valley dev’s mysterious next game is set on the same planet

The creator of Stardew Valley [official site] has opened up a little about plans for his next game, something mysterious that’s set on the same planet as Stardew but is not a sequel. Don’t expect to hear juicy details from Eric ‘ConcernedApe’ Barone any time soon because he’s avoiding building heaps of hype but he does say that, similar to Stardew Valley, it will likely pick up another game or genre with space to explore and take it in his own direction.

Asked about ideas for his next game during a a Q&A session on Reddit yesterday, Barone explained:

“I don’t want to reveal too much at this point, but I am thinking of approaching my next game with a similar mindset to Stardew Valley — take a style of game that was never fully realized (or that changed trajectories, leaving unexplored possibilities), and carry on the tradition in my own weird way.”

Stardew Valley drew heavy inspiration from the Harvest Moon games but took that farming life in a different and delightful direction. Whatever this is, it will at least be on that same planet.

As for whether he’ll make more of actual Stardew Valley, he said “I haven’t made any plans yet as to whether there will be a Stardew Valley sequel or more content.”

Do remember that online multiplayer is coming to Stardew Valley, being worked on by publishers Chucklefish. Last we heard, they expected to launch it in early 2018. An unofficial mod is already out with multiplayer support, but it is a little wonky. Chucklefish are tapping into some of that Stardew spirit with their witch school RPG codenamed Spellbound.

Whatever Barone does, we likely won’t hear much for a while. He said:

“I have plans for my next game, but I don’t want to reveal anything for a while… creating hype too far in advance is a lot of pressure, and ultimately I don’t think it benefits anyone. I prefer to work in an isolated bubble.”

Hey, whatever you’re happy with. So rather than poke and speculate, I’ll say we gave Stardew Valley a glowing review and declared it one of the most relaxing games. For more, do check out Paul Dean’s reflections on Stardew and his own life and Holly Nielsen waving her farm goodbye to start over.

1. GrumpyCatFace says:

Shut up and take my money!

Stardew is one of my top 10 all-time.

2. JarinArenos says:

Where did he say something about the next game being on the same planet?

• Saarlaender39 says:

JarinArenos: “Where did he say something about the next game being on the same planet?”
      *****
      Here?:

• JarinArenos says:

That would be Alice saying that. I found the quote anyway though.

• Saarlaender39 says:

You know, this part:
          “The creator of Stardew Valley has opened up a little …”
          gave it away for me.

But then – I don’t need things to be spelled out for me, to understand them…nor am I nitpicking on certain sentences.

• Bull0 says:

It’s not exactly extreme pedantry to point out that reported speech isn’t the same as a direct quote, which one could tell was what was being asked for without needing it spelled out

3. nattydee says:

I spent a few weeks binging stardew valley with my SO last christmas, and when it came out on the nintendo switch recently I happily tossed out $15 so we could play it again…. but it really hasn’t changed, has it?

Like I realize the ConcernedApe/Chucklefish have spent a long time working on localizations and new platforms and multiplayer, but a year has passed and there’s not really anything new going on…. which is fine because stardew valley was already a wonderful, engrossing game, but it did feel as though a game that was still only 90% finished. That 90% is far better than most games’ 110%, but I do wonder if we’ll ever see new content/polish for it.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

It feels like a complete game to me, albeit one with a lot of potential for expansion in many directions. Anyway, he explains a bit here:

link to reddit.com

• GeoX says:

I thought the relationship system was a little half-baked, but that’s really my only issue with it.

• Sheng-ji says:

Thinking of picking Stardew Valley up on Switch, can someone tell me, are you free to do whatever you want, or can some stuff time out if you don’t get on it, and is the game endless, or is there a time limit?

• GrumpyCatFace says:

Just play it. Well worth the money.

• GeoX says:

I think there are few minor things that are time-dependent, but nothing very significant.

• Faldrath says:

There’s stuff that’s limited by the season you’re in (some crops/fish that only appear on summer, etc.), but if you miss it, well, you’ll have another chance the following year. I’m fairly sure the game is endless, but you should be done with most of the content within 2-3 game years (unless you’re a real completionist).

• Bull0 says:

The relationship stuff is heavily time boxed, you can easily balls it up early on with little warning from the game. Worth noting as some people are really put off by that sort of thing.

4. racccoon says:

Its such a nice simple tranquil game.

5. SaintAn says:

Here’s hoping he’s doing his own version of Advance Wars. There was mention of an ongoing war in the game.

6. Leaufai says:

Same publisher is already doing a medieval Advance Wars reinvisioning. Don’t think he’d want to copy that.