Bunny brawler Overgrowth finally coming out next week

*hissssssss*

The rabbit roughhousing of Overgrowth [official site] is finally complete, say developers Wolfire, and a release date is set for Monday next week. The physics-heavy martial arts adventure has been playable for years and years and year, of course, but by giving it a solid date of October 16, Wolfire are saying: right, that’s your lot. Almost a decade of development is quite enough.

So, if you want to kick rats, or punch large cats in the belly, or throw a sword at a wolf’s head while he’s not looking only to see him catch it with a supernatural grace and come barrelling towards you in a carnivorous rage, then this is probably the game for you.

This year it’s been getting the final touches. A story mode is now complete, for example, and playable alongside the story of the previous game, the bunny-bashing Lugaru. There are also now many more animals to murder and be murdered by. Steam workshop mods even allow for strange human-sized birds, along with lots of other alterations, like the ability to play through the story mode in split-screen co-op.

I last played it in January and found the combat to be tough, exciting and cool-looking. But it also felt like an aimless romp from one (admittedly gorgeous) environment to the next. After a few hours, even the splendid ragdoll physics couldn’t keep me in the game’s claws. Like I say, since then a new campaign has been added with swamps and rats and wastelands. This may bring some narrative motivation to the animalistic mayhem, and level out the learning curve (although the developers still warn that this is a difficult game to learn). But who can truly say? Not I, reader. Not I.

It’ll be on Steam for £23.99, as per yooj, and Humble and Wolfire too.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Oh come on! They couldn’t have waited until I didn’t have a gross of games to play!

2. Nelyeth says:

Why am I getting so weirded out by the word “roughhousing” and its two consecutive h’s. And now that I think about it, “weirded” looks awful.

Anyways, I had never heard of Overgrowth (why is it even called like that when the main character/antagonist is obviously not a sentient plant bent on world domination ?) before the previous article, but I’ll definitely be looking at Wot You Think.

• Crafter says:

Possible spoilers :

Maybe it is about the rabbit civilization overextending and actually needing predators ?

I vaguely remember reading the synopsis years ago.

• harley9699 says:

Shh, but you’re whright, it kinda wheirded me out as whell. Now, I have to hitchhike down to the washhouse to hunt for some fishhooks.

• Lestibournes says:

I think it’s a reference to the monoliths growing out of the ground. Even if they decided not to make their backstory a big deal changing the name so close to release would be a big deal.

3. Dominic Tarason says:

The developers do say that you should play on Easy or Normal mode. The current ‘hard’ difficulty is what the game was locked at during most of the time in alpha/beta, and it too fast and twitchy for humans. Lower settings not only lower enemy reflexes, but stretch out the timescale of the game, making yours better as well.

On Hard, the game is absurdly fast, and your character moves as fast and twitchily as a realistically up-scaled rabbit would, which is a bit much for human brains to keep up with.

• Ghostwise says:

Then the proper solution is human with rabbit brains, eh ? I’m pretty sure there are some, even if we limit our investigations to the RPS comments section.

• Dewal says:

Oh, so that’s why I died so much during the alpha and now playing the story mode seems so easy in comparison. My worst enemies are the crashes when I pick up or throw a weapon.

• zeep says:

Why is “Hard” mode so fast anyway? Sounds like a cheap way to make things hard instead of coding better AI. Just a thought. But i just woke up, i may think something different by this afternoon.

• robodreambk says:

i play on the hardest difficulty with no problems.

• Lestibournes says:

I’m not so good at this game, but I beat it in one or two days at the “Expert” (maximum) difficulty level, mostly by using stealth and observing enemy movement patterns to sneak up on them and kill them one by one from behind and then hid the bodies. An especially fun one was the dog prison, where there was a dog guard standing out in the open and I had to kill him and drag his body away before the other dog guard cam around, and I don’t think I could kill the other one first because he was also out in the open in full view of my target. When that didn’t work I’d take them on in a straight fight.

I died a lot, but ended up finishing the game without using a handicap.

4. Shazbut says: