What are we all playing this weekend?

With Halloween events and other spookies, the best season is really heating up. Like a cauldron over a fire. Like the opposite of cooling down like a grave, a cold thing. I don’t know anymore. It’s been a long week.

What are you playing this weekend? Here’s what we’re clicking on.

Adam: [Adam has been fired -ed.]
Alec: I am going ON HOLIDAY, which means gaming options are limited to a) handheld devices and b) anything that won’t traumatise my four year old, who will be watching whatever I’m doing constantly. So, probably no Evil Within, then. Though I have just ordered a copy of Binding Of Isaac for Switch, specifically for aeroplane-based purposes, and I’m now wondering just how much of that I will be able to laugh off as ‘haha poo!’
Alice: This will be the weekend I finally get the last Isaac achievement, you’ll see. All I need to do is grind through runs to find and pick up one extremely rare item then poof, that’ll be the lot. Magic. I fancy a load of Isaac to get to know the new items and enemies anyway. And, of course, I’ll be rounding up the lads for Plunkbat.
Brendan: [Fired! -ed.]
Graham: Here’s an indie game idea: Shadow of War’s good bits without all the shit bits. I love the nemesis system and I badly want to play with that system, but there’s so much else going on with the game that it’s a struggle to get through it. I find myself wishing there was a 2D game which employed the idea, without needing me to memorise a million contextual controls, manage loot, gems and skills, and skip past dour, dull cutscenes every ten minutes.
John: [Also fired! -ed.]
Philippa: This weekend I will be playing Football Manager 2017. I should also visit the lumber yard. If there’s time I might try to fit in a spot of livestreaming some kites.

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

1. Der Zeitgeist says:

Finally found some time to get back into Elite Dangerous this weekend. Going to unlock some more engineers, and trying to prepare for the Thargoid wars to come.

• geldonyetich says:

Me too, oddly enough, trying to finally get into an Anaconda, but I have about 50M credits to go.

Also booted up Shadow Of Mordor. Not the the new one. The 2014 one. Great fun.

2. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

This weekend it’s more total warhammer 2, either launching the invasion of ulthuan in my malekith campaign, or launching the invasion of naggaroth in my tyrion campaign. Decisions decisions…

• dogwaddle says:

What campaign have you found to be the most fun? I’be been wracked with indecision on which one to commit to first. I ended up starting one of each and still can’t make up my mind.

• mariandavid says:

The High Elf one that starts off on the south-west on an island. High Elf archers and High Elf magic user and initial targets are Evil Elf and Horrid Lizard – what more could one ask for. Mind you am playing with the Radious Mod and High Elf is the only one they have as yet completed.

• lglethal says:

I tried both Malekith and Tyrion campaign and am finding Tyrion more fun as I feel that the Dark Elves are a bit unbalanced – the infantry which should be one of their strengths feels under strength, and the cavary are very underpowered. The high elves which are not disimilar in format to the dark elves feel much more balanced, with everything feeling about the right strength (except Phoenixes, they seem very underwhelming compared to say a vargheist).

This is all just from my subjective feelings, no play testing made, but I’m having a lot of fun with High Elves, which i wasnt with the dark elves. So I will wait for the first balancing patch on the dark elves before i start there campaign again… :)

3. LW says:

Wardor. It’s fine, for all the above reasons. When my assassin bodyguard’s counterattack saves me from death, it’s great. When I have to listen to these Gondorian saps yammer on about honor and duty, not so great.

May attempt some more A-ranks in Cuphead, may progress a bit further in Mages of Mystralia otherwise.

Iamblichos says:

Yes, this. I was betrayed by a follower who got made a fortress guard. I then defeated and shamed him. Then shamed him again. Then followed him around shaming him until one of the other orcs killed him for being utterly contemptible.

I think I’m being influenced a bit too much by Celebrimbor.

4. Ghostwise says:

Finishing my Might & Magic Legacy X: Legacy notes now that I finished the main storyline.

Liked it fine – though it was getting repetitive near the end. But then I also ran the beginning multiple times to better understand how to play on Warrior difficulty. That does fill the repetitiveness bar faster.

Since that put me in the mood for Wizardry-adjacent gaming, Final Fantasy III is next.

5. dethtoll says:

This will be my last weekend before the new PC arrives. In the mean time I will be probably be spending my free time on the seedier side of the web. Wish me luck!

particlese says:

I never got around to playing Echo last weekend, so that’s a high priority for me. Otherwise, so far there’s been HyperRogue (just reached the minesweeper and mirror lands for the first time – very cool), there may be attempts to finish or progress in Xenoblade (Wii) and Four Sided Fantasy, and there will most definitely be some Lawbreakers. And maybe MirrorMoon EP or Bokida: Heartfelt Reunion, if I feel like contradicting myself on any of those, thanks to an RPS Discord person talking them up last night.

Also playing “attempt to recreate those delicious Kahlua brownies you had years ago”.

7. Morat Gurgeh says:

I have a horrible feeling I’ve painted myself into a corner in my Stellaris campaign. I’ll spend some time trying to fix that. Probably have to abandon it though. Might try my bi-annual attempt to ascend in nethack. Been trying since the Amiga.

• funky_mollusk says:

Nice! I finally ascended a couple years back, and I’ve been trying since the 80’s (back when it was called “Hack”). Maybe try a “protection racket” run? I found it surprisingly easy (relatively speaking).

8. clockworkrat says:

MS Word: Write That Paper

• mashkeyboardgetusername says:

The difficulty curve on that is all over the place. Especially the introduction – Level 1: A Completely Blank Sheet is way too hard to get into.

• icarussc says:

Hey, me too! I also sometimes play the expansions ‘Write That Sermon’ (which I love) and ‘Write That Lesson Plan’ (which is OK) and ‘Write That Strategic Planning Initiative’ (which is awful).

Skabooga says:

I spent probably 400 hours or so in that game, so I’m as uniquely positioned as anyone to tell you: that game is a load of shit.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Pretty good game except I haven’t found a use for the Q unit. Is there some trick I am missing?

• BewareTheJabberwock says:

Skip the tutorial, tho. That paperclip is a jackass.

9. Honigsenf says:

Being tourist in Watch Dogs 2 – With TXAA enabled for post- and normal anti alaising san francisco looks sooo good. I use the embedded camera mode and just walk through the streets or on coastline. The NPCs have a lot to tell and random acting, besides looking for beef.
    The single player story is longer then expected and yes its not deep but characters are credible.

10. elsparko says:

I’m hopping between finally finishing my Gothic 3 playthrough and trying to see what people like about Nier: Automata. Of course I have also started Divinitiy: Original Sin 2 and Shadowrun Hongkong but as usual I will abandon those saves for years to come…

After all I’m just getting ready for the Elex release next week. Of course it will have all the flaws of a typical Piranha Bytes game and I’m also not really fond of the “Science Fantasy” setting but I hope it will be good old, somehow same old, fun anyways.

• Faxanadu says:

Nier: Automata restored my faith in gaming.

After getting a new computer and being disappointed in Shadow of Lamedor, I was getting desperate till I remembered the hype about Nier.

It delivered. Amazing tutorial, neat combat and gfx, good gameplay, and did I mention a great tutorial? It feels trivial, but so many games get it wrong. Oh, and the fan service is wonderful, of course.

11. wcq says:

Finishing Trails in the Sky SC, finally. I started this playthrough in twenty-gosh-dang-fifteen.

Thulsa Hex says:

Ugh, I’m up way too late on Friday night, again. Accidentally went down a LAN configuration rabbit hole and now it’s 4 am. “Unscheduled after-midnight PC maintenance” is a weird, occasional habit I’ve retained from childhood. Win ’98 machine giving you grief? Let’s stay up till 3 am re-formatting …on a sChoOl nIGghT!

At least I find it meditative…

Games! More Rainbow Six Siege this Saturday. I feel like I’m finally gaining a more of an intuitive understanding of its quirks. Talk about trial-by-fire.

I also want to finish Prey this weekend. It’s going on a bit longer than I anticipated (that said, I tend to be very systematic when it comes to immersive sims), and accidentally reading a big ending spoiler has taken some of the wind out of my sails. But it is a really good game and I’m on the home stretch!

• Viral Frog says:

I’m prone to spontaneously doing maintenance on my PC at odd hours as well. I also attribute that to habits from my childhood. Something about reformatting at 1 AM is, like you said, meditative. Though I always regret it the next day when my body inevitably forces me awake no later than 8 AM.

13. Derpkovsky says:

I find it really funny that everyone seems to hate the story bits in Shadow of War, but that my brother loves and plays the game primarily for it’s story.

14. MiniMatt says:

I’m reticent to mention this in case the only reason she’s still here is because you lot forgot to take her RPS Treehouse keys & security badge, but hadn’t Pip skipped off to edit that other PC gaming site?

I mean, I don’t want her to leave, so if someone’s surreptitiously leaving open a window for her to sneak back in every week that’s cool, I’ll keep schtum & it can be our little secret :)

particlese says:

Assuming Pip’s not working double shifts, I think RPS must’ve been low on firings this weekend, had to make the tough call of who to keep, and went with the time honored criterion of “Who forgot to email Alice this week, hmm?”

• wackazoa says:

My only concern is with John now fired (good riddence ;p) who will do the Monday Steam Charts???????

Also Pip can stay as long as she wants. Pip’s great.

• welverin says:

Clearly she’s spying on them and they just don’t see it.

15. bob26 says:

A Hat in Time

It is fantastic! Best 3D platformer we’ve ever gotten by far, possibly the best of all time.

On that note why is this wildly popular and fantastic game getting literally 0 coverage on RPS? Considering the bottom-of-the-barrel plunkbat posting recently you clearly have some article quota to go around! :) Seriously though the omission is curious, as am I by extension.

Also I think Odallus Dark Call, been sat on my list for ages!

• Ghostwise says:

link to rockpapershotgun.com

Yer welcome.

• bob26 says:

Ah thanks, I somehow completely missed the announcement article last week. I read every day so am generally confident in such assertions :)

To be honest it still seems odd to me that was all we get for such a cracking game, when there are posts about people pretending to be lads when they play a half functional pointy shooty. But there are many things I don’t understand so we’ll leave it at that.

• bob26 says:

After having read the comments on that post I can now see why RPS is choosing not to post about the game.

I won’t re-ignite that fire other than to say that if we were to examine the thoughts and feelings of every minor VA contributor in every game then I think we might start running out of things to play.

• Kitsunin says:

A Hat in Time is truly fantastic. Game of the Year for sure, for me, and possibly not just that. It’s short, however I’d say it’s still quite long for a game in which every single moment is packed with charm and sheer fun. Even Mario games only maintain their length through a lot of samey and at times even frustrating content. A Hat in Time has nothing that isn’t unique and basically perfect (some technical issues aside) start to finish, with loads of surprises along the way.

Having finished it, I’m half tempted to try speedrunning it just to spend a lot more time with the fantastic movement system.

• parsley says:

I’ve been eyeing that! It looks adorable, but I’m waiting for a sale.

16. DEspresso says:

I reached the End of Act 9 in Path of Exile which means this could be the year I actually finish the story-campaign. This time I developed an unbeatable Strategy where I die in the first 5 seconds of any boss fight and watch my minions kill whatever goddess is the target.

Will need to hurry though before the season ends as the shared stash overflow is too much work to handle.

Neurotic says:

I salute your travails. It’s taken me since beta to get my main to Act 6! I have recently got back into it though, so I’d like to finish 9 by this time next year. :D

• Jonfon says:

What the end of a league did to my stash is pretty much the reason I gave up on PoE. Great game with the worst inventory every. My Standard League stash was already stuffed. 4 more “read only” tabs stuffed with random stuff I’d picked up just made it unbearable.

I’d love to go back to the new content but that inventory system. Urrgh. Death by Terrible UI

17. mcdreamer says:

Street Fighter V. Would like to get back into Nier Automata and possibly start Zelda: BotW, but that requires picking up a Switch first ;)

18. Kefren says:

I was going to try Abzu, but it turns out to have some DRM that wouldn’t let it run (Denuvo?) I asked Steam for a refund but they said no, because I’d bought it (as I did with 99% of my games) more than two weeks ago. The Steam page, not Enhanced Steam, flagged up the DRM. I am going to just buy games on GOG in future. They offer refunds at any point, as long as the game won’t work.

Instead I will play Narcosis on my Oculus Rift. I started it last night and was impressed by the visuals; it really brought back the deep-sea creepiness of SOMA. And if my friends come round we’ll probably play a mix of VR games.

19. dracvs says:

I finished the witcher 3 finally!!
    Man so amazing…

So I went out and I am trying to play things that do not think thinking, like the Journey in FIFA 18 (for instance).

ALso Outland or Tales of Berseria. Light the mood you know. being all this dark adn grim with the witcher for 120 hours. (sans the expansions of course)

20. FelipeCC says:

Friday? Up till 3am playing Fortnite BattleRoyale with the bois. Tons of fun.
    Saturday? Sleep.

21. wombat191 says:

Again ignoring the 12 games I have installed to play Fallout 4.. just clocked 2000 hours in it :D

• Torgen says:

I’ve been playing Giant Stompy Robot Man for my first playthrough, but can probably attribute fully half the hours I’ve logged in game to Sim Settlements and its various add-ons.

I’ve been pondering an Asshole of the Commonwealth run, as sneaky ninja/silenced weapon PTSD focused on the murder of my spouse and kidnapping of my infant son that JUST happened (as far as my frame of reference goes). I plan to tell everyone to sod off and join no faction, and see how far I can get in the storyline. I’m betting not very far at all.

22. Unsheep says:

Ride 2, the motorcycle racing game. It’s great that after 60+ hours I still have lots of things to do in the game. One annoying feature though, is that all the bikes are set to understeer by default. Other than that, it’s an awesome game.

Wipeout Omega Collection on the PS4. I haven’t played a Wipeout game since the first one came out, but tried these updated ones at a friend’s place and was completely sold on it. It re-awakened an interest in old-school sci-fi racers, as I also bought Kinetica alongside it. I will probably install some MegaRace on my PC as well.

23. dogwaddle says:

Can’t decide between playing Warhammer 2(which campaign?), Divinity OS 2, and Banner Saga 2.

24. Daymare says:

Well, since I can’t beat Beppi the Clown or the Candy Princess in Cuphead … I’ve now made it through the last quarter of Hellblade. (Was great!)

So I just bought The Evil Within 2! I’m up for some more survival horror, ‘s been a while since RE7. While I didn’t finish TEW (the Keeper somehow stressed me out too much), I really enjoyed most of it, maybe I’ll get through this one.

25. AutonomyLost says:

I had no idea there was an Isaac for the Switch! What a perfect pairing. I’ll be picking that up for sure, for a rainy day.

Otherwise, I’ll be continuing to finish re-spec’ing and slaying demons in Nioh. Probably some Shadow of War as well, which I didn’t think of until just this moment! It’s been a couple days since I played it, should be fun dipping back in.

Have a good weekend, all.

26. Viral Frog says:

A lot of Plunkbat is in my forecast. I’ve started playing quite a bit more aggressively than I used to. I used to play it safe and hide my way to the top 10. Now I’m pushing people hard in the early game, pushing crates, etc. I’m finding it to be a lot more fun, and I had a blast the old way I played. I’m averaging 3 kills per round, which isn’t terrible. My aim and spotting have improved significantly in the last few weeks.

I’ll also probably play quite a bit of Overwatch, trying to get some skins. Also Golf With Your Friends for the anecdotes. I’m gonna sprinkle in some Day of Infamy since it’s on free weekend, and probably some Insurgency as well. May sprinkle in some CS:GO as well… I’ve got a busy weekend with the games this week.

27. cpt_freakout says:

I’m gonna continue Divinity OS 2 with my friends. It’s such an addictive game when playing with them! Otherwise, since I’m entirely free this weekend, I think I’m going to finish Dishonored 2, which I had in my library because I loved the first one but had never actually got around to playing it. But then I played and finished Prey and got the urge to play everything Arkane has ever done, so here I am. I’ll probably get Death of the Outsider in the winter sale and play it super late too.

28. malkav11 says:

I managed to exceed my data cap a third of the way through the month, which is a new sensation (not one I’m likely to repeat, thankfully, but they hadn’t been enforcing any cap until a month or two ago). I’ve been assured that I’m allowed two grace months with all overages annulled, of which this will be the first, so I am playing “download all the large games from my Steam/Uplay/Origin accounts onto my new 6TB hard drive this month so that I won’t have to count them against a future cap”.

I may also play stuff for real, like Neverwinter, Hex, Guild Wars 2, Final Fantasy XIV…or perhaps Agents of Mayhem, which I picked up due to the surprisingly cheap sale. I know it’s not gotten great critical response (aside from frequent dancer-to-his-own-tune Tom Chick) but I’m willing to give Volition $20 worth of a chance.

29. redgore says:

I will be playing Stardew Valley on my switch, such a perfect game for the system. I also reinstalled Farcry 3 on my PC so will be starting a new game on that.

30. EgoMaster says:

I’m at Phase 3 of my The Dark Eye marathon. The first phase was Realms of Arkania trilogy (which were great), second phase, which I finished merely 5 days ago was KOTOR clone Drakensang and its sequel (which were not as great). Phase 3 consists of two adventure games: Chains of Satinav and Memoria. I’m playing Satinav.

I’m also returning to Mars with Red Faction: Guerilla. I beat the first two games years ago but didn’t return after the series’ transition to third person. I’m planning on liberating the second sector tomorrow.

Also, the game I will play until the end of time: Euro Truck Simulator 2.

• Hao-Sen Lin says:

I played about a third of Shadow over Riva and really enjoyed it, I never finished it because I remember it being really difficult, I have the first two games on Gog now, I’ll have to go and try to play through the whole trilogy at some point.

• EgoMaster says:

The second one, Star Trail is the best of the bunch. I really liked the “your final goal is within your grasp but it slips through your fingers (for several times)” approach of the plot. I suggest starting from the first one with a balanced party and using the same party in all three games. I had two tanks, one rogue (for thieving, haggling), one hunter (you need food in the wilderness), one ranger-sorcerer hybrid (you need plants for diseases) and one magician. Since I imported them they were leveled up and second and third games weren’t particularly hard for me. At least combat-wise.

Ninja Dodo says:

Still with the Mass Effect Andromeda. Around the mid-point you definitely feel the game being spread too thin. If they’d skipped crafting and dropped half the filler checklist Tasks (like “Find the missing drones 1/6”) maybe they could have put more energy into the more substantial missions, because even the parts that are good are often rough around the edges (though there is good stuff in there). Does make you wonder what the game could’ve been with another 6 months of development or so and a little more focus.

• malkav11 says:

Yeah. I liked the game a lot and I don’t think it deserves the reputation it’s gotten, much less the cancellation of any DLC/sequel plans and the shelving of the franchise. But that is definitely around the point where I was starting to get fatigued and opted to finally start skipping most of the side tasks and such. And you’re not wrong that the game would be better served by a more svelte questlog with more impact to each one.

Ninja Dodo says:

Agreed. This game could really do with an “Enhanced Edition” and some story DLC – what about those Quarians? – Too bad EA is not CD Projekt… though the least they could do is fix remaining bugs (some of which are pretty serious).

• JimFalkayn says:

Really like Mass Effect games including Amdromeda. One of my favorite mechanical things in Amdromeda is forward stations, once I realized what they were for. Played Amdromeda 3 times through and yes, the side quests can be irritating. Kept finding new little things/places I had missed even in 3rd play through though. A huge game.

Ninja Dodo says:

Wow, 3 times? Given that the game just came out this year that’s… a lot? I mean I like the game more than most, but I don’t know that I’d want to play it 3 times in a row.* The exploration part is pretty good though.

* Or any game tbh, I’m considering a 3rd playthrough of ME1-3 at some point, but it’s been a while. Those games are long.

• JimFalkayn says:

I suppose 3 play throughs does sound a bit excessive but I mixed up decisions in each game to see the effects, if any, and I found that the worlds are large enough that I kept finding things I hadn’t noticed before or small places I hadn’t gone before. I even discovered a couple of side quests on the 3rd play through that I had missed the first couple of times. I just discovered the Mass Effect games at the beginning of this year and I played through the trilogy 3 times before I started Andromeda. With the trilogy I didn’t use the same character through all three games until the 3rd time so that made for a nice change.They are just such good games. Unfortunately I’ve yet to find any other game or series that is so engaging for me.

Ninja Dodo says:

You might enjoy The Witcher series… especially Witcher 3. I would recommend at least playing the second game first (it sets up a lot of the characters and drama for 3) but you could start from the beginning. There are things to like in the first one.

It’s not quite the same thing (not a cover-shooter) but there’s a lot of overlap in style of gameplay. It’s very much a “combat & conversation” game.

32. kirby_freak says:

I noticed Shadow of War came out, so I decided to try and finish up Shadow of Mordor. I just unlocked branding, and it’s been really satisfying having my followers infiltrate the upper ranks of the army.

I’ve also been playing some Stardew Valley (rebought on the Switch), and trying to get through Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition with my roommate.

33. Vacuity729 says:

Between work, meals with friends, and a swimming class, I’m guessing what time I have left will probably be spent doing some hardcore napping.
    I’d really like to continue my game of Stellaris though.
    I’m also struggling to refrain from buying Shadow of War, *and* Warhammer Total War (I and II). I’ve got other action games to play that I haven’t played, and I have other Total War games to play that I haven’t played. I must… remain… strong… I basically gave in on the Warhammer Total War games with the discounts on Bundle Stars, but then it turned out that those keys are region locked to Europe, and I’m far, far away from there. So I saved my money. For now.

34. fish99 says:

Same answer as last week, probably some Destiny (my Hunter is now LL 376), although I am hoping to either get back into The Witcher 3 or start Dishonoured: Death of the Outsider.

Who knows though.

35. Darth Gangrel says:

I’m still playing Etherlords and deciding what else to play. Rise of the Triad is kinda fun, but it’s certainly no Shadow Warrior or Serious Sam. Dishonored’s Daud DLC is also something I plan to play, but it doesn’t feel like something I need to play to reduce my backlog. I don’t really want it to end, but rather have it as a back-up game when I get too annoyed with the restrictions of mostly good games (that are mostly third-person action console ports), the ones I feel like I need to play to reduce my backlog.

36. Phantasma says:

As Warhammer 2 still refuses to get a patch (units ignoring orders and stop doing ANYthing still is no fun whatsoever) i went in a completely different direction and dusted off Sims 4 again. This weekend is all about creating pretty dollhouses.
    Ideal pace for being sick anyway.

And i just saw Dungeons 3 got out of beta. Instead of harassing my sims i might slap a few minions around later.

Neurotic says:

I’m 3 hours in to No Man’s Sky and still greatly enjoying it. So some of that, plus some Battle Chasers to break it up, and my daily 30-40 minute Spelunky session.

38. will47 says:

Is Philippa back permanently?

39. DeathBeforeDiscomfort says:

Got talked into buying Grim Dawn on sale, and now I´m struggling to understand stats, builds, something that apparantly is to do with your starsign, and so on. I´ll never truly master ARPG´s, but I love the style and design of the game, so I´ll struggle on, until I´m inevitably forced to abandon my character because I screwed up the build somewhere. And then it´s back to Plunkbat.

• BewareTheJabberwock says:

You can respec to your heart’s content when you get to (I think) lvl 50. I haven’t gotten there yet, but am enjoying the journey, even tho I have put about zero skill points into my secondary class, but largely bkz I like the Nightblade’s skills a lot.

• Jonfon says:

In Grim Dawn you can “respec” pretty much from the off can’t you? Costs a tiny amount of gold (25) per skill point you want to refund. Star Sign points (can’t remember what they’re called) refunds cost those crystals the Aether clusters drop. You can farm those pretty handly (The Wardens waypoint at whatever difficulty you are at is pretty good for farming them).

There’s a nice lady in the first camp you talk to to do it.

Obviously your items might be off afterwards for your new build but power-wise it’s not hard to rebuild and respec (I did it with the star signs a fair bit with an Elementist build).

40. Ben King says:

Universal Paperclip is actually my first clicker game apart from “A Dark Room” and I spent a strange hour hypnotized by it late last night before bed. I suddenly understand why millionaires get cranky about taxation reducing a mind bogglingly useless sum of money to a smaller yet still mind bogglingly useless sum of money- anything that makes those numbers go down is an itch just begging to be scratched if nothing else. Baking an apple pie later today with the last of my frozen summer rhubarb and fresh picked apples from a tree I found a mile walk to the east and hopefully playing some Horizon Zero Dawn as it cools. I keep trying to convince my gf to buy and play FF9 with me but no dice so far.

41. JimFalkayn says:

Getting toward the end of my second play through of Dragon Age Origins. Didn’t start playing RPGs until beginning of this year so I’m playing older games first. Had to adjust to sword and archery combat as I had only played games with guns/grenades before DAO and combat is my least favorite part of game. Tried Deus Ex Human Revolution for a week but too solitary.

42. Vandelay says:

So, now that I have completed XCOM 2, I decided to return to The Evil Within.

Managed to get through Chapter 9 and then played through much of 10, but ended up just getting fed up with it. Certainly not a bad game, but there were far too many moments where you needed to perform some specific actions to get through and failing to do so meant death. I was mainly feeling this during a moment in which you are chased repeatedly by the long haired skulky thing where you have to get past a few fire spewing pipes.

A few of these pipes required you to pull a lever and then run around aimlessly until eventually the fire turned off, whilst others needed you to find small handles on the pipes to shoot in order to redirect the flames. This was all whilst you were being chased by a creature that could one hit kill you if she got near enough. This often meant you would end up just running around a pillar for 10-15 seconds. I was this close to just stopping and deleting the game, until I eventually got passed it. I then ran straight into another boss fight that required you to perform another set of specific actions. Tried it a couple of times, but just couldn’t be arsed any more, so quit and deleted. The much more open game that this appeared to be in its first couple of levels, offering either a stealthy approach or direct assault has pretty much disappeared now. Which is a real shame, as it was great.

Now I’m at a little bit of a loss. I may continue with Stellaris with the Star Trek mod, which I started last weekend. I’m playing as Federation and really loving the little side stories that appear as you play. Having the Xindi arc just crop up in your Stellaris game is pretty cool (although, knowing the outcome of the events does mean you can game it a bit.) I have no idea whether it is set up to happen or not, but I even formed an alliance very early on with the Vulcans and the Andorians (Vulcans and Andorians seem to get on well though.) The only thing holding me back from playing is that I sunk 3-4 hours into it a single sitting when I started it and I know I will probably end up dedicating similar amounts of time if I start it up again.

Quite tempted to pick up the most recent Tomb Raider that has the full set for £16 on Humble at the moment or maybe Space Pirate Trainer that has just been released on Steam.

43. parsley says:

I spent 21 hours last weekend playing Breath of the Wild while stuck in an airport. I want to play it now, but I’m afraid I’ll just hear “attention passengers” on repeat.

Mungrul says:

Finally finished off DOS2. Pretty glad too; it was beginning to outstay its welcome, and I was beginning to think it was never going to end. But all in all, a very good game, if somewhat hampered by badly designed RPG systems.

After that, I needed some good brainless shooty bang, and so have been dipping back in to the incredibly pretty The Division: Ubisoft’s Destiny.
    It was never going to win any awards for innovation, but it is tremendous fun, especially the newly discovered (for me) Underground. I somehow managed to get to gear level 256 solo without playing this fantastic little procedural mode once, and now it’s my main reason for playing.
    I do get the feeling I’m “doing it wrong” though, as I am playing it solely solo.

That is, I had been playing The Division, but thanks to some great discounts over in Sony land, I have been playing the utterly fantastic Horizon: Zero Dawn for the better half of today. Sure, the faces are sat a little uncomfortably on the wrong side of uncanny valley, but the core game is great.
    The story so far is basically Fallout 2 with a generous dollop of Fallout Tactics / Wasteland / Wasteland 2’s robotic doom. Nothing wrong with that though :)
    But as with all console exclusives, I find myself pining for a PC version.

45. Gomer_Pyle says:

Caveblazers (which is really great!) and a bit of Absolver.

46. Hao-Sen Lin says:

I’ve been obsessing over Shadow of War, it reminds me a lot of Assassin’s Creed Black Flag, both for better and for worse. I really love the action combat and planning a way to take down a group of enemies effectively but the context sensitive controls can be a bit clunky at times and the icon clearing elements aren’t as bad as AC, but still kind of annoying, I don’t really get the point of having collectibles when they’re just marked on the map and it’s a matter of busywork rather than exploration and discovery. I just skip most of the cutscenes because the story seems really dumb. I like that there is a love triangle between Swordman, Elfman, and Spiderlady though. I wish Swordman and Elfman would kiss.

I’ll probably play a bit of Combat Mission Shock Force too.

47. Jaykera says:

More “Breath of the wild” which is simply amazing, and I just started “What remains of Edith Finch” which is simply amazing also. I’m having an amazing sunday.

48. poomanchu says:

Agents of Mayhem was only $20 this weekend, so I figured ‘why not?’ It’s…fine.

49. syndrome says:

[Fired even though he wasn’t employed -ed.]

Comment on this story