Humble’s Female Protagonist sale ends today

her story

In case you missed it last week, Humble has been hosting a sale specifically to celebrate games that feature female protagonists. They’re slyly calling it the Female Protagonist Sale. There’s up to 80% off some proper gems here, but today is your last chance to take a look as the sale is set to end at 6pm (BST) tonight.

For those of you who are curious, the batch of games up for grabs includes indie mystery Her Story for £1.24 / $1.49, spaceship explorer Tacoma for £11.99 / $15.99, frantic action game Bayonetta for £11.24 / $14.99, timey-wimey choose your own adventure Life is Strange’s first season, and a bunch of others.

Her Story was named one of the best games of 2015 by this very site. To throw my hat into the ring, I cannot recommend the game enough – it’s part murder mystery, part police procedural put together with some fantastic writing and acting performances to match.

In addition to that, if you’re into your horror games, Alien: Isolation is an absolute treat and considering the game on its own is currently £29.99 on Steam, getting the game along with all its DLC for £7 ain’t half bad. The nearly impossible to type VA-11 Hall-A is a wonderful breath of fresh air for a narrative-driven indie game, too. Anyway, here are some highlights from the sale before it goes away:

Bayonetta for £11.24 / $14.99 / €14.99
Tacoma for £11.99 / $15.99 / €15.99
Haydee for £5.49 / $7.49 / €7.49
Alien Isolation: The Collection for £6.99 / $9.99 / €9.19
Life is Strange Complete Season for £3.99 / $4.99 / €4.99
Her Story for £1.24 / $1.49 / €1.49
SteamWorld Heist for £3.73 / $5.09 / €5.09
Crypt of the NecroDancer for £2.19 / $2.99 / €2.99
Gone Home for £2.29 / $2.99 / €2.59
VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action for £7.69 / $10.04 / €8.70

In case you missed it at the end of last week, Humble Bundle were bought by media giant IGN. Strange times.

1. Pich says:

ah yes Haydee. my favorite female protagonist.

• indigozeal says:

Yeah, that’s an amazing illustration of the difference between the letter and the spirit of the sale theme.

• and its man says:

I’m getting tired of this. I sometimes think this kind of comment is just the prudish version of the usual saucy joke.
        I don’t mind videogames being a soil for sexual fantasies.

Let Haydee be. Or better, try it. You may discover it is also a very good puzzle-platformer. That’s the part people are not joking about in their reviews.

• Pich says:

fam relax, i was joking. i know that it’s a decent game, but it’s pretty weird to see it in this kind of sale.

• indigozeal says:

I like my female protagonists to be more than piles of nonsentient boobs & butts, my easily-angered friend. Particularly given the Bundy-esque piles of hypersexualized female body parts you inevitably accumulate at the bottoms of test pits during the game.

• Babymech says:

Conversely, I like my boobs and butts not to take on sentience.

• and its man says:

Curiously, you seem keen on describing the unnameable in vivid detail.

• indigozeal says:

“Curiously, you seem keen on describing the unnameable in vivid detail.”

I don’t know what this is supposed to mean, but it makes me sound like the protagonist in a Lovecraft story, so thanks! I think I’ll go have a chat with this Dagon fellow next. I’m sure it’ll go swimmingly!

• Rogerio Martins says:

I like big butts I cannot lie.

2. DingDongDaddio says:

Wouldn’t the girl from Her Story be the antagonist?

Or if she is the good guy, does that make the cop/player the villain?

• Ghostiet says:

you don’t play as a cop in Her Story, its protagonist is female. tbh, it’s almost a spoiler.

• demicanadian says:

I’m not 100% sure it’s actually said you’re a daughter in Her story. IIRC it only says something about your mother, not about your own gender (not much of a spoiler here, as it’s the opening sentence).
        I’m completely sure that they meant woman from the videos, not you, when they chose Her Story for the bundle. Regardless the fact she can’t be described as a strong woman.

• Rwlyra says:

The achievement for completing the game reveals the protagonist name, so it’s kinda canon.

• demicanadian says:

Ah. I might have played it on steam, but I never give more attention to achievements than “oh, another one”

• Arathorn says:

In stories, a protagonist is one of the main characters in a story (so there doesn’t even have to be only one). It is not necessarily a good character either.

Protagonist also means a supporter of a cause, and an antagonist is someone who opposes someone or something. I think that muddled the first meaning of protagonist a bit, leading to people believing that in stories, protagonists are good and antagonists bad.

• Babymech says:

Well.. the protagonist, good or bad, is the one driving the impetus of the story, and the antagonist, good or bad, is the one trying to prevent that impetus. Since the thrust of Her Story is ‘trying to find the truth of the disappearance of the husband’, your character is the protagonist trying to make that happen, and She (or rather her taped interviews) is the antagonist, trying to obscure the truth of what happened. So yeah – she’s not the protagonist, your own female character is.

3. vast_anusse103 says:

Stunningly sexist.

Drib says:

Boo I already own most of these. This is a recurring issue with Humble bundles.

Comment on this story