Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds climbing might hit test servers this month

We might get to clamber and leap around in Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds [official site] before the end of October, Bluehole Studio said today. The climbing and vaulting system is one of the main features headed to Plunkbat before it leaves early access, along with a new map set in a desert. A new dev update today reaffirms that the Battle Royale-ing multiplayer shooter is still on course to launch by the end of this year, with all that plus optimisations and more. And that desert map ↑ is looking good.

Today’s post is a little vague and avoids dates or precise details, but does restate that the main features they plan to add by version 1.0 plans are new vehicles (remember the Kombi, yeah?), vaulting and climbing, and replays, while working on performance optimisations and stability fixes too.

Continuing their process of testing for longer, Bluehole say that the big additions will need to be on the test servers for at least 2 to 4 weeks before going live. So they’ll be rolled into three big phases. The first, hitting the test servers “in late October or early November”, will introduce climbing and vaulting:

1st phase: Focus on testing vaulting & climbing
2nd phase: More testing of vaulting & climbing, test other new content and features
3rd phase: All new content and features including the desert map

While Bluehole had previously raised the possibility of clambering hitting Plunkbat’s test servers in October, I had the impression it’d likely be mid-late November. I am stoked to clamber. While I’m not bad at the ‘crouch-jumping’ technique which serves a similar function to vaulting by letting players jump onto objects that a normal jump couldn’t, it does feel a bit like an expert and is a bit finicky.

Anyway! That Mexico-inspired desert map? Cheery RPS fanzine PC Gamer had a cheeky preview peek over the weekend. It’s certainly a lot greener and more bountiful in cover than I had imagined. And it has a wrestling ring. And driving off-road affects vehicle handling. Good stuff. (You can check out our PUBG map guide for pointers to the game’s existing terrain. –Ed)

In other Plunknews, leaderboards are now expected to return on October 20th. The new season was already delayed from the 11th to the 17th. This is all to make servers and bits more stable, which is welcome. I’ll happily lose stats for a week to improve servers. A minor patch will hit this week too, as detailed in today’s announcement.

Plunkbat is already running behind schedule. When it hit Steam Early Access on March 23rd, the devs insisted the full version would arrive within six months. That did not happen. But that’s never a surprise with early access.

This almost always happens, especially with big games – and especially ones which grow faster than expected. I’ve been annoyed by server instability and irked by performance problems — and really would like to get vaulting already — but it’s all within what I’d expect from an early access game. I’m still having a great time with the lads.

Top comments

1. hypertexthero says:

Plunkbat is one of, if not the very best multiplayer game I have played. It has led me to meeting old friends from the real world again via the digital playground of Erangel — the island where it is set.

In one of our outings I told a friend ”hold on, don’t get out of the car yet” and took a picture of the screen with an iPhone, which became this postcard, which, inspired by the jolly writing here on RPS, has the word ”Plunkbat“ on the back: https://teespring.com/greetings-from-erangel

Despite the glitches (it is early-access, after all), the game respects your time. It is fast and fun, slow and tense, with fluid movement and excellent sound design, full of choices with consequences. That it was born from a gamer and mod-creator who also seems to be a nice, empathetic person in the real world makes it even better.

I am looking forward to vaulting, and hope that you can dive through a window and roll onto the ground (in eventual slow motion via replays), like in the classic action movies.

Plunkbat movie? Alice needs to be screenwriter.
  1. ye-ole-PK says:

I was surprised that I like to play this game as much as I do . I am terrible at it but it is still fun to hide and shoot people in face with a shotgun as they come up the stairs.

Drib says:

I agree, there’s a surprising longevity for a game that is essentially the same, plotless match, over and over.

• spaced says:

Just like counter-strike.

• ye-ole-PK says:

I quickly bounced off CS and the other war shooters because they were just too much of a bang fest. My reflexes aren’t what they used to be and the pacing of PUBG agrees with me. I am old and patient and getting a top ten is enough.

• shagen454 says:

Same here, watching this game on Twitch having never played it – I thought it looked pretty bland. Now having played it – I watch it on Twitch all of the time. The game really does have some addictive mechanics. I also agree, that just running and hiding your way to the top ten is a lot of fun by itself, but I’m trying to get better at killing. It’d help if they just had a damn shooting range to test out the different weapons, addons & modes.

2. spaced says:

I find it kind of hilarious that “climbing” is such a hotly anticipated feature. It should have been part of the game before they let anyone play it.

3. Colossi says:

Hopefully we do not see copy+paste buildings and bad performance.

4. Opt1kal says:

What is “Plunkbat”?…..I am confused…

5. Raithius says:

Stop calling it “Plunkbat”, ITS PUBG!!!

6. Ghostwise says:

To me, the main added value of articles about Plunkbat on RPS is people in the comments section having a fit over Plunkbat being called Plunkbat.

Plunkbat.

7. hypertexthero says:

In one of our outings I told a friend ”hold on, don’t get out of the car yet” and took a picture of the screen with an iPhone, which became this postcard, which, inspired by the jolly writing here on RPS, has the word ”Plunkbat“ on the back: link to teespring.com

Plunkbat movie? Alice needs to be screenwriter.

Comment on this story