Blue Yeti USB Microphone discounted by £40 this week

Blue-Yeti-Silver-Mic

Those of you who tend to have one eye on the tech world or are already world-renowned recording artists will have no doubt encountered Blue Yeti microphones before. All this is to say that, this week, you can pick up a fancy Silver Blue Yeti USB microphone for £40 less than you’d normally spend, over at Amazon UK.

The microphone will run you £79.99 for a limited time, so if you’ve considered setting up a YouTube account and putting your opinion on the internet, this might be a good time to jump in. Lord knows the internet could use more opinions.

Over the past decade, these little Mics have become the most-used USB microphones around, with everyone from Twitch streamers to YouTube folk to bedroom musicians using them. With good reason, to be fair, since these mics tend to walk the line of high-quality and affordability impeccably well. They’re also decent at omni-directional sound, if you and a bunch of friends want to crowd around it like a campfire and record a podcast. Check it out.

1. ghling says:

So, how much did Amazon or Blue Yeti paid you for this fine advertisement?

• TokPhobia says:

I have to agree, an article about a microphone discount on a gaming website does scream paid advertisement. Which would be fine, if it were disclosed as such.

• Matt_W says:

It might help to think of this article as similar to the weekly reports that RPS does on game discounts, but with a PC gaming hardware peripheral rather than software.

• LastBestHopeOfHamsterkind says:

It’s a pretty good and well reviewed microphone. Which might be useful to PC gamers that also stream, or in general, use microphones. And it’s a decent deal… So stop being dramatic.

• trashmyego says:

Hopefully a lot? You know, for the sake of this site and the people who write for it?

Oh wait, do you actually think you’re special because you saw through the staggering amount of smoke and mirrors they put up to hide the truth? That you just scored some kind of victory for readership everywhere, because you so bravely questioned a sponsored piece you were not forced to click on or read – let alone one for a product that is actually well respected and used in the community? Bravo.

• Synesthesia says:

It’s the most ubiquitous streaming mic. I’m guessing that’s the reason. I just bought an audio technica for that very reason not 6 hours ago.

Drib says:

No, it was the Reptoids that paid the Illuminati, and one of the staffers (you know which one) is part of the Freemasons, who demanded this article be created.

Graham Smith says:

No, this isn’t sponsored. No, we don’t accept sponsorship for anything. Yes, we get affiliate revenue (equivalent to a few pennies) if you buy something after clicking the Amazon link, as is disclosed at the bottom of the post (and of every post on the entire site). Yes, it’s a useful mic. I have one that’s similar. I think we used one of these on the Crate & Crowbar til we got individual mics.

Masked Dave says:

I believe you, because RPS has never been that sort of site, but it definitely reads like a copy & paste from a press release.

• caff says:

However honest this is, it does seem really odd for a dedicated one-off post on RPS. Maybe if it were part of the weekly deals round up (which I like) I think it would have been fine.

• Ghostwise says:

The rebates often last for a very limited time, which means that you have to do a separate posts. I think all of us sites with affiliation secondary income streams have the same issue.

• Samudaya says:

Probably depends on how many people buy it over the reference link.

Honestly I do wonder has this always been going on or is RPS getting worse lately?

2. fabulousfurrygingerfreakbrothers says:

Oh. We’re doing this now? Ok I suppose.

3. Michael Fogg says:

Explain to a diletante what’s the advantage of a mic that plugs via USB over one that uses the regular red jack?

• Matt_W says:

Higher quality. This is a condenser microphone (higher sensitivity, higher frequency response) with built-in power, pre-amp, and initial digital processing. The USB provides power back to the mic (which is required for condenser mics) and a reliable high-quality data stream back to the PC.

• mukuste says:

Basically, it bypasses your internal sound card’s analog-digital converter, which most likely has godawful quality and noise levels, and does all that stuff externally (and hopefully with better quality).

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

Any ADC built right in to the mic isn’t exactly going to be stellar either. The only real advantage of something like a Yeti is that it means you can, as mukuste mentioned, record better audio than going through your computer’s line in jack, but without needing to buy a dedicated interface.

If you’re going to use it for streaming or podcasting, it’s… not a horrible option. Just keep in mind that even cheap condenser mics are relatively sensitive by nature, so they pick up background noise more easily; the tradeoff being that to use a dynamic you’ll probably need a dedicated preamp. But if you think you’re ever going to use it for things like voiceover or music recordings, think again and save up for some better kit. Even an SM58 with a decent interface will give you more mileage in the long run than a somewhat hyped-up USB condenser.

And as a long-time RPS reader, I understand needing to find many income streams, but something about the way this was done feels a bit weird and gross. Not a complaint, just a data point.

4. ColonelFlanders says:

Can someone who has used one tell me why this is better than just using an SM58 on a stand?

• moreyummystuff says:

To answer if this is better or not would depend on what the SM58 is connected to.

wsjudd says:

Awesome! I did a review of one of these last month, and it is truly an awesome microphone, particularly for streaming and recording podcasts, YouTube videos and the like. After doing that review, I’ve started noticing it everywhere, particularly on Twitch and YouTube :-)

I’d say the advantage compared to a SM58 is that it has four different modes for different situations — there is one mode for capturing just from the front of the mic (e.g. streaming), one from both front and behind (e.g. for an interview), one for recording from all directions (e.g. for general ambience), one for left and right (e.g. for recording music). It’s also a side-address mic, which allows you to mount it a little differently and changes the characteristics of the sound. It’s also plug-and-play with USB, requiring minimal futzing to get it right, with an integrated 3.5mm headphone port so you can hear how it sounds easily.

Masked Dave says:

Cost for one. Back when I was a podcaster I wish these had been about. I had to buy an SM58, mic stand, cables and a mixing desk (and another mic, stand & cables for when I had a second person in) in order to get a decent sound quality. Was not exactly the most transportable arrangement either.

I mean, it was probably better over all to have that stuff, I did use features of the mixing desk, but it gave me way more flexibility than I actually needed for what I was was doing.

And since I stopped podcasting years ago it’s become just a very expensive headphone stand.

If could have just spent £70 and been done it would have been better.

• Jalan says:

The Blue brand, as this article and many others like it serve as a testament toward, coasts far too much off the “it’s inexpensive and almost everyone uses it” shtick (as an aside, a friend who likes to consider himself a “part-time pro podcaster” bought one and apart from the fact that his previous microphone was truly trash, the alleged step up in quality the Blue Yeti was supposed to bring is hardly noticeable at all). Not to say they aren’t serviceable mics, but don’t be easily hooked by the hype.

• ColonelFlanders says:

Thanks for the answer :) and thanks to everyone else as well – I am a part time musician so I already have an SM58, I was just curious if this gave any advantages to me, as I’m hoping to start a YouTube/Twitch brand for myself.

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

“Better” depends on your goals. USB mics aim for a sweet spot between convenience and (relative) sound quality by bundling a bunch of equipment into one package, but necessarily sacrifice the build quality of each component along the way as a result. We’re not yet at the point where the converters in an all-in-one mic are going to be good enough for hobbyist recording projects, but for podcasting, you could do worse than the Yeti. It’s still overpriced though.

5. Shaileen says:

Ok, seriously: If anyone thinks about dabbling in streaming/yt, there are mics out there for around 20-30€ (for example link to amazon.com ) which are decent as well. No need to spent 90€ to just find out it isn’t for you. This article…

• Aspirant_Fool says:

Was that the first result on amazon for “hideous garbage microphone”? There are decent microphones in that price range, but that isn’t one of them. It’s basically just this, but with more plastic: link to amazon.com

• shagen454 says:

Yes, if one dabbles in streaming it is customary to dangle a ding-a-ling donger, 3 inches from one’s face for all to see.

• Shaileen says:

A short view on the reviews would’ve shown you that you’re wrong. Besides that I use the one I mentioned for streaming, so I can only speak for this model.

6. Duckeenie says:

The Camelizer reveals that this is pretty much the normal price for this product. So not even the discount is newsworthy.

particlese says:

Thanks for the tip on that site’s existence. If you check their UK version, though, you’ll find this thing’s all-time average up at £105 with frequent dips to 90 in the past, but stuck at 120 for most of the past year, so £80 looks indeed pretty nice, for the UK.

It’s still a respectable discount in the US, looking at the past half year, but not necessarily something to write home about unless your parents really like making let’s-plays.

7. Fishbreath says:

I do a fair bit of podcasting, and it’s been my experience that a condenser mic (the Blue products, or the CAD U37 I have for guests) is usually too sensitive. I intend to switch to some all-in-one ADC XLR-to-USB cables and some Behringer dynamic microphones when next I get a little bit of cash together.

8. Raoul Duke says:

For anyone like me who has the pleasure of needing to use dictation software, this is a superb microphone for use with Dragon Naturally Speaking (and, probably, Cortana and stuff, which I would use if MS would let me control my privacy settings properly).

9. aircool says:

Thanks for the heads up. I’m up for more of these types of posts as long as it’s a good discount on a quality bit of gear.

Comment on this story