The Foxer

Warm-up foxer (What am I?)

I’m not nearly as naval as I sound. One of my first victims was a swift dog. I’ve a tenuous connection with bees. I was invented by a man born in Northern Ireland. I probably inspired a WW2 rodent. I could fit inside a shoe box. In my earliest form I was manufactured close to a river named after a British king. I have something in common with SR-71s, the seventh Tintin book, and Ireland’s favourite alcoholic drink. I was first used in the 19th Century.

Feature Foxer (Identify the collage theme)

*       *       *

SOLUTIONS

Last week’s warm-up foxer: Plasticine (defoxed by alison)

Last week’s feature foxer: 30 Things That You Might Find in an Artist’s or Sculptor’s Studio

1. FTRST – FUTURIST (Stugle)
2. LS* – EASEL (Gothnak)
3. PYGMLN – PYGMALION (Gothnak)
4. SCHHDDN* – DACHSHUND (Gothnak)
5. LXWL DNG – ALEXA WILDING (AFKAMC)
6. MLSTCK – MAULSTICK (Gothnak)
7. MDMDG LN – AMEDEO MODIGLIANI (unsolved)
8. CLPRS – CALIPERS (Matchstick)
9. BSLHL LWRD – BASIL HALLWARD (Stugle, Little_Crow)
10. GR LW THPR LR RNG – GIRL WITH A PEARL EARRING (Stugle)
11. TQMT* – MAQUETTE (Gothnak)
12. SNN – SIENNA (Arioch_RN)
13. FRNZXVRMS SRSCH MDT – FRANZ XAVER MESSERSCHMIDT (Matchstick, Gothnak)
14. STRTCHR – STRETCHER (Gothnak)
15. CHRLSLG HTN – CHARLES LAUGHTON (Little_Crow)
16. NT RLLGHT – NATURAL LIGHT (Matchstick)
17. RGYRF* – FORGERY (Gothnak)
18. SNDRBT TCLL – SANDRO BOTTICELLI (Stugle)
19. RFFLR – RIFFLER (AFKAMC)
20. CML LCLDL – CAMILLE CLAUDEL (Gothnak, Stugle)
21. WN STNCHRCHLL – WINSTON CHURCHILL (Matchstick, Little_Crow)
22. MS – MUSE (Matchstick)
23. CDMMSL FD – CADMIUM SULFIDE (Kerans)
24. HNSN MTH – HANS NAMUTH (Gothnak)
25. VNTS – VANITAS (Arioch_RN)
26. MRMN NT – MARIO MINNITI (unsolved)
27. PTRN – PATRON (Little_Crow)
28. FRNN DLGR – FERNAND LEGER (Little_Crow)
29. TRTS* – SITTER (unsolved)
30. DR MCS DBYT HF LGHTFB R NDP MG RNT SC ND BF RWK N NG – DREAM CAUSED BY THE FLIGHT OF A BEE AROUND A POMEGRANATE A SECOND BEFORE AWAKENING (Little_Crow)

phuzz says:

Well, top left there’s an illustration by Beatrix Potter from “The Tailor of Gloucester”.

2. Little_Crow says:

The gems I suspect are from Bejeweled.
    If not it’s from one of the many, many clones and I have no idea

3. Arioch_RN says:

I think the ZX Spectrum game is The Plot

4. Shiloh says:

Is that Arthur Scargill top centre (behind a US counter)?

phuzz says:

Could be, but I can’t see that mole/lump that’s the the bottom left of his mouth in any other photos of him.
      Also, is it me or is his left earlobe (just peeking out from behind the American marker) weirdly swollen?

5. Gothnak says:

So, the chits are from a pacific themed war game, set between the wars as the Macon/Akron are USS Zeppelins!

Thought it’d be easy to find, nope…

6. Gothnak says:

Handily i completely recognise the English actor in the top middle but can’t remember his name or what he’s been in.. God i’m on form today.

phuzz says:

Middle right there’s some Airfix “HO-OO scale German Infantry” plus two tanks, the lower of which I’m pretty sure is a British Centurion.
    It looks like a sort of bundle deal where you get some tanks, and some troops to paint/play with, which I never realised Airfix did.

*edit, the other tank is a Patton

Matchstick says:

Ooops WAAAY too slow….

9. AFKAMC says:

I think the gun at the bottom is on Oliver’s Hill, Rottnest Island: link to gettyimages.co.uk

(It first reminded me of the one on display at IWM Duxford, but Google image search saved me from straying up that path, thanks Google!)

10. KarolisLive says:

Warm-up:

SR-71: BLACKbird
    the seventh Tintin book: The BLACK Island
    Ireland’s favourite alcoholic drink: BLACK & BLACK

Matchstick says:

Google Image Search shows me there are a really surprising number of people with tattoos of an eye inside a Penrose Triangle but I can’t actually find any images (logos?) that actually match the imageone bottom middle-left

Something Illuminati-ish maybe ? (perhaps with a link then of conspiracy theories)

12. Stugle says:

Warm-up: is this the WW2 rodent Tim is referring to? link to en.wikipedia.org

Never knew that scene from The Guns of Navarone was based on an actual development…

13. mrpier says:

Warm-up: Is it the Coal Torpedo?

link to en.wikipedia.org

phuzz says:

The house in the centre, the stepped edges of the roof are called a “Crow-stepped gable”. That makes it a lot easier to search for.
    Apparently it’s popular in Belgium and the Netherlands, but this one looks British to me….

15. AbyssUK says:

The drawing of the flower is of a tobacco plant..

Illustration of NICOTIANA Tabacum L.

16. Gothnak says:

Best i’ve got so far is the Battle of Fredricksberg…

The Union Army used Pontoon Bridges,
    Orange Court House of Orange & Alexandria Railroad,
    Tobacco was fished out of the river after the battle,
    Burns…Side :p…

17. Gothnak says:

Anyone know what that bit of game GUI with ‘recruit’ written on it is, hanging down at the top. Or the chap or in the top right…

18. Gothnak says:

It’s Twist…

Barley Twist
    Orange Twist
    Oliver Twist
    Tobacco Twist
    Pontoon (Twist or Stick)
    Plot Twist
    Bejeweled Twist
    Penrose Twistor Theory
    Tailor of Gloucester is sent out to get a Twist of cloth.

Comment on this story