Hollow Knight’s second free expansion out next week

Grimm

One of my greatest gaming regrets of this year is getting about halfway through Team Cherry’s excellent metroidvania Hollow Knight, then getting sidetracked by a pile of work. In order to get properly back up to speed, I reckon that I’ll have to start fresh, although with the rate at which they’re pumping out free DLC I might just wait a little while longer.

We have previously mentioned upcoming expansion The Grimm Troupe, but now it has an official release date: October 26th, and it’s bringing a lot of exciting new stuff to the already densely-packed game.

As with their previous update to the game, Hidden Dreams, The Grimm Troupe stuffs even more bugs (of the talkative insectoid variety) and gubbins into the underground. A new quest arc, new bosses, new basic enemy types and a fresh set of charms to help you mix up your playstyle.

Hollow Knight being what it is the new bosses are sure to be the stars of the show, with their predecessors being a memorable and gorgeously animated lot. Given the quality of the updates so far, I can’t help but wonder what a full, paid expansion for the game would look like too. Given that one was floated as a higher-tier Kickstarter stretch goal which wasn’t quite reached, I do hope one is planned. And I say this as someone only halfway through the game already.

Team Cherry say that this version of the game will also bring full Galaxy features to the GOG version of the game, including cloud saves and achievements. The Steam and GOG versions should automatically update, but Humble Store users will have to re-download the whole game once the updated version is released.

You can read the full announcement and check out a gallery of the developers’ favourite Hollow Knight fan art in this official blog post.

1. DodgyG33za says:

I really hope this introduces an ability to adjust difficulty level to some extent. We are not all 20-somethings brought up on game-pad games. I love the game. The artwork and sound design are top notch. But it is really frustrating to be stuck on a boss that requires dexterity that seems to be beyond me (the hornet). After about 15 attempts I am yet to get her below about 60% health. At which stage I just gave up.

• Dominic Tarason says:

As with all things Metroidy, if you find yourself stuck the solution is usually to go back and scour earlier areas for resources and upgrades. A common complaint is that the game becomes too easy over time if you pick up too many of the optional boosts.

• upupup says:

They don’t mention that anywhere. If you want to make the game easier you should look up some charm combos. Those can help a lot.

• eLBlaise says:

Sage advice, I’ve found that for me the most useful strategy against the later bosses including fight #2 against hornet lie in maxing out health and utilizing my soul pool for offense. The usefulness of the heal mechanic seems to deteriorate as you progress through the adventure.

That said what does being 20 have to do with anything? Also I couldn’t care less if they added a difficulty lever, I don’t intend to go back and play it on easy.

• Hans says:

“We are not all 20-somethings brought up on game-pad games.”

I like how you try to make it sound like it’s a generational problem instead of you just being poor, old, and out of touch.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

I’m almost 40 and Zelda 2 was harder than almost all recent games.
      I saw the final boss one time in ~ 50 games, creamed me.
      Nonetheless as the other guy said: check levels you missed – I missed a huge section on the right side of the map and adjust the charms.

• DodgyG33za says:

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately the Hornet is fairly early on in the game, and locks progress. I am pretty sure I have got everything I can to that point.

And Hans, I have been playing computer games since my early teens a few years after Pong came out. And still spend around 10 hours a week. So not so out of touch. It is a sad fact of life that reaction times diminish as one ages.

• eLBlaise says:

True indeed and it that is indeed your lot perhaps pattern recognition is your key to success. I’m well over 20 and I don’t rely exclusively on reactions. Planning and pattern recognition have gotten me through just about ever game of the last decade that I have chosen to complete and while I’m not yet done with Hollow Knight that the fault of a rare case of completionist pursuit intersecting with not enough free time.

• fractal9091 says:

That is what I have found with Hollow Knight. For almost all bosses, winning was not so much about reflexes, or dishing out lots of damage, but instead about learning the boss’s patterns, when to dodge, when I could heal, etc. That definitely applies with Hornet.

2. Bobtree says:

Hollow Knight is huge, but I wouldn’t call it densely-packed. It has way more undirected wandering and repeated backtracking than is necessary, but the lovely world makes it tolerable.

3. GeoX says:

It’s cool that they’re updating it, but it also makes me keep putting off playing it. I know there’s another content pack supposed to drop in three-four months, so why not just wait for the more complete experience?

• malkav11 says:

This has been my response to many games lately. Divinity Original Sin and Wasteland 2 Enhanced Editions. Additional content for Torment. The two expansion DLCs for Pillars of Eternity (which I did finally play and beat after they’d both come out and they’d patched it a bit more besides). The DLCs for Tyranny. Etc.

4. Chaoslord AJ says:

Exactly my regret too. I played 75% through the game, then thought about waiting for the then next free DLC, got sidetracked.
    And when you take a longer pause playing a metroidvania that run is ruined. But I will return one day. It’s excellent.

Comment on this story