Steam Charts: New Entries Edition!

People, people of Earth, for the second week in a row GTA V isn’t in the Steam Charts! And for the first time in human history, this week nor is Counter-Strike: Global Offensive! What’s happened? I’ll tell you what’s happened. Everyone’s got a copy now. Phew.

So instead, here are eight other games and Plunkbat, and one plastic box, in ascending order of dollar-eyes.

10. Divinity: Original Sin 2

This stuck around for a splendidly long time, but unless Larian has the sense to offer a 25%-ish price drop this week, I expect we’ll see it disappear from the charts for a good while. It’s a truly fantastic game, and one I wonder at how I’ll ever find the time to finish.

9. South Park: The Fractured But Whole Standard Edition ASIA

The first of this week’s oddities. The core game itself is riding high at #3, so I’m not entirely sure what’s going on here. Perhaps a different version of the game was released in Asian countries? Did someone do one of those exploits where they sell keys at a cheaper price? Funnily enough the game is third cheapest in China, but most expensive in Japan. Is it something to do with UPlay? Is it because the blood moon rises over highest peaks? Literally no one knows.

8. ICEY

The second and third of this week’s mysteries – why a Chinese side-scroller you’ve never heard of, and Steam’s dreadful Link box are in the charts – is more easily solved. Last week, for whatever deeply peculiar reason, you could buy this anime slash-em-up for less than £15 and get a Steam Link thrown in for 80p. They usually cost £40. They are worth 80p.

Clearly that did the trick for a game that would have – let’s be fair – not have troubled the charts otherwise. (Despite good reviews.)

7. Steam Link

So here’s the other half of that. I’ve got a Steam Link, and goodness gracious, I hate it. I’ve got a decent internet connection at home, usually around 85Mbps wired, and the wifi pretty close.

I have yet to have a positive experience trying to use the Link in my lounge. Invariably I end up running up and down stairs multiple times, trying to work out why I’m only seeing a black screen, then finding it decoupled, then discovering a game supposedly compatible with Big Picture Mode isn’t, and can’t be quit from without using the PC upstairs, then if I ever actually get anything running (which I think has happened once), remembering that I’m trying to play it on the morbidly awful Steam Controller and just give up and watch some TV.

Anyway, a lot of people just got one for a buck, and are about to discover its joys. (PSA: Alec has had a better time with a Link than me.)

6. Cuphead

My only real criticism of Cuphead is that it’s far too easy.

5. Middle-Earth: Shadow Of War

My name is John Walker, and I’m struggling to love Shadow Of War.

I loved Shadow Of Mordor, after its crappy first couple of hours, and shouted about it. But with War, it feels like too much and too little at the same time. A busy-busy game of non-stop fuss, with a Nemesis System that seems more complex for little return, and less sense of coherence. I dunno. I’ve not gotten far, and perhaps as the later areas expand it finds its groove, but I feel like Mordor did the trick for me and I didn’t need it again-but-busier.

4. ELEX

Does anyone else feel like Elex snuck up from nowhere? I mean, we knew it was coming out, but the new game from they behind Risen and Gothic is, well, it’s just here already. It’s not even launched in Early Access. (Would it ever leave Early Access? Could Risen or Gothic games ever have justified that?)

Still, it’s a new sci-fi RPG, and as odd as it feels to say in an industry that feels like it should be parodied by the genre, that’s an all-too rare thing. And the Piranha faithful have seen it leap into the top half of the charts already, despite some very bad reviews. Even Eurogamer’s positive take is cautious.

3. South Park: The Fractured But Whole

And here is the proper entry for South Park. Fraser’s review has entirely put me off trying the game, despite being ostensibly quite positive. I really enjoy South Park, and think the TV show is as good as it’s ever been (last season was especially impressive), but after the mediocrity of The Stick Of Truth, and the revelation that Fractured But Whole doesn’t even manage to be all that offensive, it feels quite off-putting.

2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt – GOTYE

Oh you’re back, are you? Saw the opportunity with GTAV and CS:GO out of the way, and barged your way back in? Typical Geralt. It was, you’ll not be surprised to learn, half price last week, due to the series’ tenth birthday celebrations. It isn’t any more.

1. Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds

I feel that you would most benefit from listening to Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers:

Neurotic says:

The John Walker Cuphead meta here reaches a comedy peak. :D Love it!

Mungrul says:

Caught the Steve Martin vidya on BoingBoing last week, and damn, he can play dat banjo good.
    Sing… eh, not so much. But at least it sounds like he knows that’s not where his strength lies and instead plays it for laughs.
    The whole group are incredibly impressive musicians mind you. Lovely stuff!

Harlander says:

I’ve found the Steam Link to be somewhat wobbly, but closer to Alec’s experience than John’s. It’s also become available as an app on Samsung Smart TVs, so anyone with one of them can probably give it a try for free.

The Steam Controller isn’t that great, though I keep trying to use it out of sheer bloody-mindedness. The big problem is the “right stick” touchpad doesn’t really have any tactile indication of its centre. They made a d-pad shape on the other one, surely they could’ve put a circle in the middle or something.

• KingFunk says:

I’m very happy with my Steam Link – having done some reading up before purchasing, I invested in some network plugs which meant I could use the whole system wired without running cables all around the flat. It works seamlessly and I’ve not found any games that haven’t worked with it – it’s even possible to run non-Steam games. Also, I use a DualShock 4, since I already own one, I’m a cheapo and it works just fine, even via bluetooth.

My only slight niggle is that there is too much audio delay when using bluetooth headphones for that to be a usable option. However, I found an android app that would stream the audio from my PC to my phone and the delay was near enough the same as the graphics going to the TV via the Steam Link, so problem solved (within acceptable parameters).

• Menthalion says:

Have had zero problems using my Steam link wired. Stable as a rock, even in system intensive games.

• Addie says:

I like my Steam Controller, so much so that my X360 controller has been relegated to the RetroPi for more than a year. It did take me a while to get used to it, but now I wouldn’t change back to the pad.

I’ve not got the Steam Link, but I have tried the in-home streaming thing from my gaming PC to my (linux) laptop. I got lag-stabbed in Dark Souls without even being invaded, and then never attempted it again.

4. aksen says:

the dismissive attitude being shown towards icey is somewhat unbecoming. the game deserves better than that.

mcjamieuk says:

I don’t think it’s dismissive – he agrees its a good game, just says it would never have made this chart without that particular deal, which is almost certainly true. Plenty of great games have released somewhat under the radar without ever disturbing the chart, and there was no reason to see this doing anything different, especially a year after release.

John Walker says:

I’m not dismissive whatsoever. I’m suggesting that it would never have charted without this deal. I’ve not played the game, and it might be splendid.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I don’t know if ICEY might have received a more chilly reception without this bundle offer, but I’m glad it’s here. Might pick it up now that winter is coming.

• fish99 says:

He said it would never have been in the chart without that bundle, which is completely true.

5. DragonDai says:

Superb choice of music this week, John. The instrumental part near the end of Caroline, with all that especially sweet sweet banjo really hit the spot. Thanks! :D

• WombatDeath says:

It’s excellent. My first thought was “It’s unfortunate for a musician to share a name with a very famous actor”, and then the penny dropped. After about five minutes.

6. Dracofav says:

LOL I can’t tell you how long I was misreading the deal as being a Steam Link and an ICEE. I was so confused.

7. Fry says:

Steam Link + WiFi = there’s your problem. Don’t do that.

I’d have to agree on the Steam Controller. I gave it a try and couldn’t return it fast enough. The latest iteration of the Xbone controller is quite good.

8. duns4t says:

I suspect Elex and Battlechasers both snuck up on people due to being EA/Origin exclusives not on Steam. I was aware of them coming for the past few months only because I was checking on the Origin sale page regularly for any freebies or deep discounts.

9. Carra says:

Still going through Divinity – Original Sin 2. It’ll probably keep me busy until Christmas.

10. Typo says:

NOBODY CALLS IT PLUNK BAT STOP CALLING IT THAT I LITERALLY DONT EVEN KNOW WTF GAME YOURE TALKING ABOUT UNTIL I LOOK AT “PLUNKBAT” AND BREAK IT DOWN AS “OH INSTEAD OF MAKING SENSE AND JUST MAKING AN ACRONYM FOR THE FIRST LETTER OF EVERY WORD IN THE TITLE, LET’S USE THE FIRST 2, THE NEXT 3, AND THE NEXT 3, AND LOSE THE “GROUNDS” PART.

WHO ALLOWED YOU DO TO THIS? WHO QCD THIS ARTICLE? BETWEEN YOU AND PCGAMER WTF I LITERALLY DONT KNOW WHAT GAME PLUNK BAT IS

• rochrist says:

PLUNKBAT. PUBG is just nonsense. And ugly. Ugly nonsense. Plunkbat is nice and cute and memorable.

Skabooga says:

You know, Plunkbat is the game known as Plunkbat. Plunkbat.

• R. Totale says:

Get plunked on.

• TheAngriestHobo says:

QCD?

It’s either QA or QM. GYARF*.

*Get your acronyms right, fool

• PanFaceSpoonFeet says:

I literally like Plunkbat.

Masked Dave says:

“I LITERALLY DONT EVEN KNOW WTF GAME YOURE TALKING ABOUT UNTIL I LOOK AT “PLUNKBAT””
      To be fair to the author, it is traditional for the reader to not know what game is being discussed until they have read the name of it. Unless there is a screenshot right up front I guess.

“BETWEEN YOU AND PCGAMER WTF I LITERALLY DONT KNOW WHAT GAME PLUNK BAT IS”
      I mean, on the face of it, it does seems like you actually have a good idea what game it is. Unless PC Gamer uses that name to refer to a different game. I appreciate that could be confusing.

But if they don’t (sorry PCG, I don’t read you!) and you are regularly reading two mainstream PC game journalism websites that refer to the same game with the same nickname then I’d assume by now you’d have figured it out. Or at least think they were talking about a completely different game to the PUBG and so not have it bother you.

“WHO ALLOWED YOU DO TO THIS?”
      Not sure where to even begin with this… You’re aware we have a free press right? And even if we didn’t, I’m sure even the most totalitarian of police states probably couldn’t be arse to control which nicknames we used for popular entertainment.

“WHO QCD THIS ARTICLE?”
      Wasn’t sure what QCD meant so I did the Chrome “look up” option… apparently it stands for “quantum chromodynamics”. I was not even aware there was a Word Press plugin for that!

11. Someoldguy says:

I’m pleased to see Elex in the charts even if it is wonky. Gaming is a better place for having their weird games in it.

12. tavverin says:

Why is everything you say so negative? Its a drag. Ive had a Steam link for two years and while it has its problems, works well most of the time for me. And I love my steam controller. Get a life and quite spewing negativity all over the community.

Comment on this story