Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds blue zone of death is now even deathlier

Playerunknown's Battlegrounds

It’s easy to forget that Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds is in early access, given its current position as industry-baffling overlord ascendant of all things multiplayer and shooty, but we’re still some ways off from its official release. In a Steam community update on Saturday, developers PUBG Corp outlined their plans for the game between now and its version 1.0 launch, as well as detailing some tweaks in the latest patch.

The good news: Armour is now more consistent, where previously it would fail to stop bullets from time to time due to bugs.

The bad news: The all-consuming blue zone of death does not care about your pathetic human armour, bug-ridden or otherwise, and is now even more damaging than before.

PUBG Corp’s reasoning is that players were spending too much time outside of the combat area, soaking up blue zone damage with carefully timed healing. While I can see their point, I can’t help but think that (at least in the earlier phases of a match) there should be more opportunities for players to snag themselves a vehicle and catch up with the pack. I’ve not played Plunkbat as much as I would have liked, but about a quarter of my matches have ended with me trying desperately to outrun inevitability while others cruise past in their magnificent motorised machines.

Beyond that, their longer-term plans amount to a basic roadmap to version 1.0. They plan on running at least three builds on test servers (separate from the current public build), the first of which will be focused on the new vaulting and climbing features. Once locked-down and ready for public consumption, they plan on focusing another two test-updates on optimisation as well as general bug-hunting.

Once happy that these milestones have been passed on the test servers, the combined update will be beamed to the general public, marking PUBG’s official move to version 1.0 and an end to its time in early access. If all goes to plan, they hope to be there by early November. Not that the changed in version number means much; development will still continue as usual, with a second, desert-themed environment planned for release not too long after ‘launch’ – something they had previously had in their launch roadmap, but conspicuously absent now.

1. OddJuniper says:

They’re making the blue zone deadlier because in the first big PUBG tournament, a tactic emerged in which players would hide in the blue zone for almost the entire match on purpose, only popping out at the very end of the match. Which is really boring to watch.

• Bostec says:

Can’t they tweak it just for tournaments then? Something I don’t care about. I’m just your crap average gamer here. When you parachute on the map where the circle is on the other-side and not a car too been seen, your going to get swallowed up by the gas no matter what. This will just make me quit the round and queue back up again. Another waste of time.

• Beefenstein says:

Find a car. There are spawns everywhere. You can use link to pubgsumo.gg or just a picture of the map with the likely spawns on it.

Or you can shoot at people who drive past in their cars. They are practically defenceless. I’ve headshot a driver out of the car with a kar98 once. Just once. But I did it! That was me and I did it! It wasn’t even the driver but I did do it, or something like it, once and they all stopped and died and we got got their loot and a car. Once!

Also stop dropping somewhere like Zharki and dying to the zone.

• senae says:

I don’t imagine it’ll be instant death, it’ll probably be just too harmful to sit in the blue and keep popping sodas to stay healthy.

Earl-Grey says:

What’s PUBG?
    Never heard of it, looks a lot like Plunkbat, though.
    You should try it, it’s really quite popular these days, you know.

3. DeathBeforeDiscomfort says:

I remember the days when I could get blue-zoned to death on a daily basis. Alas, the latest update brought on the dreaded “network lag detected” screen of frozen death for me…

Seriously, if anyone knows how to reliably fix this, I have a hug and a kiss with your name on it.

4. Options says:

“Deathlier” lol I hope that was intentional

5. hungrycookpot says:

I can see the logic from a macro perspective, but it’s gonna suck a bit for newer or slower players. Nothing sucks more than getting killed by the blue, especially after spending ~20 minutes looting to get ready for a showdown. Very anti-climactic. I imagine they’re paying attention to player reactions to these changes, I’d be totally OK with increased force-field damage if they slowed down the circle a little bit. At least in those instances where you might have a couple hundred meters to run, you should be able to physically outrun it.

• drewski says:

I guess the flip side of that argument is that learning to loot efficiently and locate and exploit vehicle spawns are key skills that newer players need to learn, and that it’s better for them long term to be thinking about the zone and what their movement plan is from the drop.

6. Viral Frog says:

I don’t know how to feel about this. On one hand, I’m glad it’ll keep people from camping blue. On the other hand, I’m going to lose 90% of my games due to blue zone now. I almost never land near a car and when I do, I really prefer not to use them because noise.

So now my games will go like this: land, loot a few buildings until circle pops, circle will be as far away from me as possible because it is 90% of the time, I will have to cease looting and run to circle. Then I’ll be eliminated from the game either because I still couldn’t outrun blue or I couldn’t find anything besides a Micro Uzi before I had to bail out.

This patch is going to both make it less annoying that people camp blue and more frustrating because I’ll now basically be forced to use a vehicle and blow my cover

7. Tursam says:

Any one that uses the world “Plunkbat” seriously is either trolling or mentally challenged.

• Ghostwise says:

Thanks. I mostly read plunkbat newsposts to see commentators raging against nicknaming the game “plunkbat”.

It is a welcome source of mirth and relaxation in a harsh world.

• Viral Frog says:

I have incorporated Plunkbat into regular use in a Discord server of over 100+ people. I don’t remember the last time someone there called it anything other than Plunkbat. It’s spreading and you can’t stop it.

8. RustyAynuS says:

This is a good thing, campers have become a massive problem in PUBG, it’s played more and more by stupid kids!

• phlebiac says:

maybe the stupid ones are those calling others stupid especially when those are just playing the game with the mechanics it offers

maybe you are just a bad player (and/or stupid … who knows) or in the spray and pray business and because of that you are whining about those who play more tactical

Comment on this story