The PC version of Destiny 2 is out now

Destiny 2

It’s 6pm over here in ol’ Blighty, which means that according to this handy launch-times map Bungie’s zeitgeist-wrangling online FPS Destiny 2 is available to play on PC. For those who preordered and preloaded, your copy of the game should be unlocking just about now, assuming the servers haven’t burst into flames, of course.

If you’ve not preordered and are still wondering what all the fuss is about, check out the PC launch trailer after the jump, and see the game described by many Destiny fans as “It’s way better now!” and by some of the original game’s detractors as “Actually good this time.”. High praise, for sure.

It’s Halo by way of Borderlands, with maybe a dash of Phantasy Star Online to taste. For me, that’s just fine. I personally can’t see myself sinking hundreds of hours into it the way many others have, but by some accounts there’s a lengthy, partially open-world FPS with a decently written story waiting for me here. Much moreso than the original game, and plenty to get through before reaching the eternal treadmills of endgame and PvP loot-hoarding.

I came to the original Destiny fashionably late, with the release of the final expansion. While undeniably a mess at launch, with scars from a messy development cycle (such as having half the story hidden away in lore entries only visible outside of the game), I must say that it was a satisfying enough FPS with some brilliant shotguns, and I’m looking forward to diving into the sequel.

For those worried about the state of our version of the game, fear not. There have been no shortage of reports confirming that the PC version is the definitive version of Destiny 2, packed with graphical/control options and capable of running maxed out at 1080p at a locked 60fps on a comfortably mid-spec PC. Even people with budget-priced desktops or older gaming laptops shouldn’t have to make too many concessions, graphics-wise. Here are the system requirements, if you want to be sure. [Bungie have also noted that those waiting for it to unlock like escited children might need to restart Battle.net for the ‘Play’ button to appear -Ed]

Before I go and leave you to your new world of loot and levelling, let’s just talk about the one true trailer for Destiny 2: The live-action one from Japan. Not just incredibly charming, but it’s probably the most accurate advertising Destiny has seen, depicting the game as it truly is: A sci-fi battlefield that can become an impromptu dance party at the drop of a hat.

Fun fact: The multitude of dance emotes in Destiny 2 automatically sync up with any other nearby dancers. Like I said; truth in advertising.

Destiny 2 is available exclusively on Battle.net and carries an RRP of £45/$60 (£60/$90, if you feel like getting the season pass early), although third-party stores may still be offering it for a good chunk lower. I got it for about £37 via Green Man Gaming, although they’re reportedly out of keys at present.

1. Freud says:

Death to all bullet sponges.

• skyturnedred says:

For the next few weeks, I’ll be visiting PC gaming sites a lot less. You know they’re all gonna be full of Destiny 2 articles. Just when we got rid of the Overwatch spam.

2. dagnamit says:

After seeing how the end-game is shaking out on consoles and the need to group up, I’ve stepped back from this being an insta-purchase. So, if someone with some knowledge of the subject would please answer this question…

As a mostly solo player, that won’t pvp, and is actually looking for a serious grind, can I grind out satisfactory progress solo, or is at some point grouping absolutely required? That’s a lot of questions. Will I regret the purchase?

• welverin says:

Yes, you can make serious progress solo. I’ve barely played with others to this point and if I equip my best stuff can get over 290 Power Level (I believe the max is still 305).

You have to have a group for the raid, and Nightfall strikes would require some coordination, but other than that you can pretty much ignore everyone else. That includes regular strike where you automatically get match with others, but suggest not avoiding them, because you don’t need to communicate with or really even pay attention to the other players (do res other people when necessary however, it’s only kind).

If you’re not opposed to PvP, that’s a good source of getting higher level gear.

Anyway, if you actually are into ‘the grind’ or will play through the story with each class, then I’d say it’s worth picking up right away. If you’ll only be playing through the story once, there’s probably not enough content yet to be worth a full price purchase.

• Vandelay says:

Personally, as someone likely to be playing mostly solo, I think this might be one to hold out on. I never bought the original, but the game you can buy now looks substantially better than the one you bought at launch, particular if you intend to play solo. At the moment, the single player portion of the game is only meant to be around 8-10 hours, which is pretty short for a £45 game. When they bundle in the expansions (which, assuming they do the same as the original, will be sold alongside the base game in a single package,) then there will be hopefully much more in the campaign.

That doesn’t mean I will wait 3 years for them to release everything, but I will at least wait and see how much gets added in to the first couple. One is supposed to be out in the next couple of months, while the following one is Spring next year.

• fish99 says:

It’s only a £45 game if you paid £45 for it. I got it for £32 (by pre-ordering 2 months ago) and it was as low as £25 six months ago.

For the people who say there’s no benefit to pre-ordering, well there it is.

• Lobotomist says:

This is why I decided to hold my purchase too. The game has very thin content for this type of a game.

Being game where you have to grind and level up constantly – this thin content forces you to re-run same content over and over and over again.

And to be even worse – reports say the content is not even challenging – neither can it be made more challenging trough game options.

One would thought with their budget, on second try, the game will be close to perfection – but I guess the marketing again took all the money from development.

3. KDR_11k says:

I thought it was coming on the 27th like everything else…

4. Doomlord says:

And yet the morons who ported the game over have refused to listen to Beta complaints (and there were many) about the Aim Assist for Controller-Users in the PC version. Basically they’ve refused to remove it. So have fun in PvP going against some knucklehead who insists on using the antithetical and crappy gamepad controller and gets rewarded for making that illogical choice with aim assist. Good decision Vicarious Visions. SMH

• Dominic Tarason says:

Even if they do have a little aim assist, if you can’t outshoot someone on gamepad, you’re probably not very good. They also can’t turn nearly as fast as you, so are still at a distinct disadvantage in a whole mess of situations.

Mungrul says:

While that may have been true back in the Quake 3 PC vs Dreamcast days, anyone who has played GTA V will be able to tell you that the autoaim snap-and-track when using a gamepad gives a huge advantage over M&KB in that game.

• welverin says:

Except it’s a mistake to assume that the auto aim functions the same in every game.

The Destiny games do not use egregious snap and lock auto aim. There may be some slight lock on, but nothing strong enough to give gamepad users a huge advantage over M&K users. I’m awful at aiming with an analog stick and I haven’t ever found my gun just sticking to an enemy.

I actually find that sort of thing highly annoying, which is why I’ll always turn it off in games that use it, Uncharted Lost Legacy for example.

• drewski says:

The issue seems to be that people use hardware to fool the game into thinking a controller is attached, when it’s just K+M via a passthrough. Means you get the finesse of K+M with snap-to-headshot autoaim.

Don’t care either way myself, PVP is for people with much faster reflexes than mine, but I think the issue needs to be correctly identified at least.

• simontifik says:

As someone who plays PC games with a controller I’m glad those morons who ported it left aim assist in.

5. Buuurr says:

So… it’s bunk? I’ll wait for some of the other releases coming soon I guess.

6. Janichsan says:

It is glorious.

7. fish99 says:

I’m having a whale of a time with it. Runs great on my GTX1070/i5-3570K (as it should). Plays fantastic on mouse/keyboard too.

Ain’t gonna win any prizes for it’s story, just like the first one, but it’s just fun.

8. StuzaTheGreat says:

I got this free with a 1080 a bought for a mining rig and didn’t even realise! Installed it on my gaming rig (also a 1080) and for a “free” game, it’s excellent! I’ve only played the first mission which leads up to the opening credits but I really like it. It has stunning scenery (triple screen, 1080) and seems really easy to play making it great fun. Very impressed.

Obviously though, no idea on the longevity which seems to be a common complaint.

• Dominic Tarason says:

Regarding longevity, if you want an MMO that’ll last you months or years of extended play? You’re probably in the wrong place.

If you want a semi-open-world FPS that has 30+ hours worth of missions before you’re at risk of repeating things, then go nuts.

Comment on this story