Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is free today

deus ex

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, the story of a robo-boy who never loses his sunglasses, is free on Steam at the moment. You can play without spending a dime until tomorrow evening. If you decide that you can’t part with it after taking it home and introducing it to your family, then you can also buy it at a discount of 75% from the usual price.

Mankind Divided is absolutely the type of game I recommend trying before buying. Like its predecessor, Human Revolution, it’s an endlessly inventive game that’s full of stealthy exploration, but it’s shackled to a sophomoric story and a perpetually unlikeable protagonist. I never finished it because I just stopped having fun, but your mileage could very well be different.

Graham liked it a lot more than I did, so here’s what he thought in his Deus Ex: Mankind Divided review:

Mankind Divided is a new version of one of my favourite games of all time and free from the execution problems that hampered that last iteration. The levels are bigger and prettier. There are no dumb boss fights. It gives you slightly more agency over its story. The new abilities are nice, even if they don’t dramatically alter the flow of the game. There still aren’t that many games like Deus Ex around and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is an excellent game like Deus Ex.

Mankind Divided is free until Thursday, and £9.99/$14.99/€12.49 until October 27 on Steam.

1. JustAchaP says:

Oh so its like a free weekend but not during the weekend.

• Vacuity729 says:

I presume that means I’m not the only one who misunderstood that line and thought, to my great surprise, that the game was actually free right now. I don’t think that was very clearly described.

The DoW3 free weekend was described thusly: “there’s also a free weekend running from now until 9pm on Sunday, along with a 50% discount if you want the game for keepsies.” Obviously, it’s a different writer, but this is much clearer to me that the game itself is not free, just available to play for a few days without charge.
      Alec described Rainbow 6 Siege’s free weekend with delightfully unnecessary complications and verbiage, but was still very clear that the game was not actually free to keep: “Ubisoft’s predominantly multiplayer team shooter is available to play for the grand price of $0.00, or £454,439.99 at the current exchange rate, until the end of February 5. After that, you’ll need to pay – although permanent access is discounted to half price until Feb 6.”

I’m betting there will be other mildly disappointed punters along shortly.
      Thanks for letting us know all the same! :)

• MrUnimport says:

“You can play without spending a dime until tomorrow evening. If you decide that you can’t part with it after taking it home and introducing it to your family, then you can also buy it at a discount of 75% from the usual price.”

• Fraser Brown says:

No idea how it could be clearer… I don’t mention the weekend at all. As the header says, it’s free today.

• Someoldguy says:

Normally that would be described as a free trial. Lots of things are announced on RPS as free that stay free if you pick them up during the limited time period. Like Stronghold HD only yesterday.

• castle says:

“Free to Play” or “Free to Try” would be better.

Steam has lately been giving away games that are free to keep but only if you add them to your account on a given day, so that would be my interpretation of “Free Today.”

• Vacuity729 says:

My apologies if I’m coming across as snarky, I do see that. I think the “taking it home”-bit made me somehow think that I could, you know… take it home? Not have to give it back? A dog is for life, not just for Christmas?
          I was right that I wasn’t the only one who misunderstood, but no actual harm done, so no panic. :)

• Raoul Duke says:

Ah, so free in the sense not that you get to own the game for free, but a new type of ‘free’ where you have to buy the game if you want to own it.

I, too, thought the headline was misleading.

• hprice says:

That’s because it was misleading … or just bad writing (and I’m thinking the latter looking at some of the writing on RPS). What is the point of having something like this free for one day? Why not put out a demo for it, like the old days? Then at least you could have a real go at some of the levels rather than play around with it for a day before having to chalk out hard earned money for it.

And it is a pain in the derriere when you read something like this and find that it isn’t what you think it is. It’s kind of click-baity in a way. Builds up your expectations etc. Oh well … back to going through the old steam collection …

2. Kefren says:

It may not affect most people, but just note that DE:MD includes Denuvo (whereas DE:HR doesn’t).
    link to en.wikipedia.org

Drib says:

Oh, I read this as “the game is free forever if you get it today” not “it’s a free weekend”.

Well, still though. Could be fun.

4. hjarg says:

What? I liked Adam Jensen! Definitely not perpetually unlikable!

5. PoulWrist says:

And here I sent this to my friends thinking it was free to keep :( just free-weekend in the middle of the week. That’ll teach me to read articles…

Ninja Dodo says:

This game is really underrated. It’s a solid immersive sim and Prague is spectacular. The themes and narrative also work much better than people give it credit for. If you liked Human Revolution, you’ll like this.

• Vilda says:

I realize, I am a minority, but for me, as a native Czech speaker, the Prague design and the attempts at using Czech language were pure torture. Some of it fits, but most is either out of place, wrongly used or just plain wrong.

Ninja Dodo says:

I guess some wrong turns are inevitable when a team isn’t local to the setting they’re depicting, though I guess there can be some extra leeway since it’s the fuuuuuture… also some things always have to be changed for gameplay reasons (fairly sure Vampire Bloodlines’ Santa Monica is not quite right either, or DX1’s Parisian catacombs, Honk Kong, etc). I can’t speak to its accuracy but I found it an excellent city hub both as a playable space and aesthetically.

• Scurra says:

As the joke goes, now you know what everyone who lives in e.g. London or New York thinks about movies. :)
        I am prepared to cut them a lot of slack on this, although I agree that the language thing is a bad miss; if you’re going to include a “foreign” language, then you really do owe it to yourself to do more than just rope in some Google translation and/or non-native actors. Even if you know that your audience aren’t going to really be able to tell.

alison says:

I completely disagree. I didn’t love Human Revolution (in particular the boss fights), but I was still very pleased my favorite game of all time had a modern and respectful follow-up. Mankind Divided completely bored me. I found Prague a tremendously tedious location reminiscent of Paris (Deus Ex 1). Imo it’s not Deus Ex unless there are black helicopters flying you around the world to eat Chinese food. But the real crime isn’t the location, it’s the story. Instead of being a twisting, turning, backstab-packed ludicrous spaghetti junction of conspiracy theories, it’s just a tale of thwarting a big bad who you know from the beginning is the big bad. To me that completely busted the whole Deus Ex concept. Some of the side missions were great, but the game as a whole was a major disappointment for me.

Ninja Dodo says:

Well you did have a black VTOL fly you to London and the Swiss Alps but I’ll grant you there was no Chinese food (as far as I remember). I guess it depends on what you consider essential to Deus Ex-yness. It’s true the primary antagonist was plainly signposted a little early, but I thought the story had plenty of interesting twists and turns. YMMV

7. gruia says:

i finished HR and rate it as a 5, MD is a 3. not on par with predecessor

• Orageon says:

While I agree that MD is not as striking as the previous one, I blame the effect of surprise from HR mainly. Also, MD has a bit less of these “wow” moments with environment and rooms designs. In HR I was basically a paparazzo taking screenshots all the time in most places.

Still, I feel 3/5 for MD is harsh. I’d say a light 4, or strong 3,5 at least.

Still a superb game in my opinion, that could have saved dev money by not adding this multiplayer / ranked mode of sorts that I tried a bit but left me “meh”, as the spirit of it is not fitting the rest of the game at all.

8. mukuste says:

Well, I’d take it for free. Free for one day? Not a good enough deal since I expect it’s more of the rather humdrum HR.

9. tomimt says:

Personally, I thought Mankind Divided is a solid game overall, but the ending, or lack thereof, ruins it a bit, especially because the main baddie is a dude barely seen in the game. It definitely could have used a bit more story on the end side of things.

But other than that, especially if you go to stealthy approach, it’s a fun game. Not particularly challenging even on the most difficult setting, but fun none the less.

10. woodsey says:

A very good game ambushed by its own publisher at every opportunity.

Still, as long as you’re prepared for the fact that it just kind of ends (albeit after a solid 20-25 hours of play) then there’s little to disappoint. Prague is amazing, to boot.

11. Chaoslord AJ says:

It had nice parts but feels very short (Prague seems narrow and small), has a throwaway ending and bad performance for some other players.
    I’d also thought Jensen’s story was told by the end of HR and they’d go next-gen next time (see their cyberspace ideas) but they’d just milk the cow again.

12. Remonstrance says:

In terms of story, it’s a big letdown from HR. But the gameplay is vastly improved.

Combat feels amazing, especially in the too-rare moments it pits you against your fellow augs. The “civilian” areas are packed with things to explore. NPCs have conversations and mill about – there’s a shocking attention to detail in the environments.

Really feels like this would’ve been a GOTY contender, if Square Enix hadn’t sabotaged it. Hope this didn’t kill the franchise again.

Ninja Dodo says:

I found it very much a “the battle is won but the war is not over” type ending. Only problem is that works provided they still intend to make a third game with Jensen, which is no longer certain. I really hope they do.

• typographie says:

It could be a letdown from Human Revolution without killing the franchise. It wasn’t anywhere near that bad.

I think the biggest danger to this franchise (assuming it is not already dead, that is) are Square Enix’s expectations. A stealth exploration-based game with a theoretically high-minded story will never attract mainstream sales numbers. This game was not marketed nor sold as the niche title it most definitely is. It did not need a brand new engine and it did not need mobile integration. It did not need the production values it had. They need to spend less on a game like this to sustain a franchise, and the triple-A segment of the gaming industry is going in the opposite direction these days.

13. racccoon says:

Steam always trying to use bait. lol

Comment on this story