Guide a little vacuum cleaner to sentience in Rumu

rumu

The only trick my vacuum cleaner has in its repertoire is its ability to scare my dog stupid whenever it’s turned on, but Rumu, the titular antagonist of Robot House’s upcoming adventure, is a little bit smarter than that. It’s on a journey towards sentience inside a fully-automated smart home. Take a gander at the announcement trailer below.

Rumu is a point-and-click adventure romp where you’ll be guiding an adorable Roomba-style analogue as it cleans up the messes of its owners. You won’t be alone, either, as the house contains a few other dysfunctional, semi-intelligent appliances. It’s not all work, though. Eventually you’ll be drawn away from cleaning up to explore hidden areas of the house where you’ll be charged with overcoming moral dilemmas.

The trailer doesn’t do the game justice, so fill up your eyes with some lovely screenshots of its diorama-style rooms.

rumu1

rumu2

rumu3

rumu4

I find the idea of smart homes ever so slightly troubling. Look, it’s not like I expect hoovers or home assistants to suddenly have an existential crisis, but a lot of these devices seem just human enough to make me uncomfortable about bossing them around and not paying them. Oh gosh, I’m probably going to be one of those collaborators during the robot-human war.

Rumu is due out late this year on Steam.

1. mukuste says:

Poor thing has a pig snout as its face. Just think how that’ll go over once it gains sentience.

2. Scobie says:

You said Rumu was the antagonist, did you mean protagonist?

3. Lord of Beer says:

Wow, what a trailer; great voice acting too!

I wish the minimum standard of Indie games on Steam was closer to this, than the junk cluttering up the hidden depths of the store now…

Drib says:

Do you thank Alexa/Google/Siri when they find something for you?

You do, don’t you?

Edit: Forgot Cortana, but she’s been slippy since her rampancy anyway.

5. Dominitus says:

That is a really nice trailer. Music and atmosphere are great, but that VO went to places I did not expect. Really cool. Added to the wishlist!

6. Einsammler says:

The images posted on the Steam page are 4,930 pixels by 2,774 pixels, btw.

7. benkc says:

Wow, yeah, great trailer. Looking forward to seeing more of this.

8. and its man says:

I hope its sound design will offer an extensive range of whirrrrrs and whoooooshs and shvooooos. That’s the best part in vacuum cleaners.

Comment on this story