Have You Played… Quake: Arcane Dimensions?

arcane5

I wrote about this stonkingly beautiful and enormous mega-mod for the original Quake last year, recommending that y’all should play it, but it didn’t quite turn out as planned when fans and creators alike (politely) argued that the screenshots I’d used did not suitably sell the game. So, here are some screenshots of Arcane Dimension which hopefully will convince you to give it a try. You really should, because it’s the next best (or maybe even better?) thing to getting a whole new Quake.

arcane1

arcane2

arcane3

arcane4

Drib says:

Wait, people really complained that RPS’s free publicity for their mod wasn’t good enough?

Geez.

Now I don’t want to bother with it!

• Javier says:

Indeed. Passing on this. Still, kudos Alec for going the extra mile with these people.

• Stingy McDuck says:

I guess your comment was made before the article update, but still, you should act so offended. If you like Quake, you really must take a look at this mod, it’s really good.

• Ghostwise says:

Yours is one startlingly petty interpretation of the words “politely argued”.

• itsbenderingtime says:

I don’t remember “politely” being there last time I read this post. I think it was added after the comment was originally made.

Drib says:

The initial wording was:
        “it all turned a tiny bit sour when fans and creators alike felt that the screenshots I’d used did not suitably sell the game”

Editing articles after comments have been made and not leaving a note that the text was heavily changed is a bit shit, I have to say.

• Michael Fogg says:

If I were Alec I’d just post screens with nose buried in wall texture this time aroud.

Arnvidr says:

I only see one screenshot, is there something silly I need to unblock to make the slideshows work?

3. Merry says:

I see no such comments on your previous article Alec. It sounds rather direspectful and I’d like to read them for myself. Were they made privately toyou?

• TychoCelchuuu says:

Masked men bundled him into an unmarked van and screamed these accusations at him while driving around the streets at top speed. They then drugged him and dumped him on the side of the road. To this day he is not sure whether it actually ever happened.

4. phlebas says:

That’s the original Quake engine? Blimey.

5. fuggles says:

I can maybe see their point, the two articles look nothing like each other!

Now I’m suspicious and full of mistrust – which one is representative of the game?!

6. gabrielonuris says:

I’m pretty sure Arcane Dimensions doesn’t come with those beautiful skyboxes… What mods are being used in those screenshots, besides AD?

7. Stingy McDuck says:

This looks amazing. I tried this mod/map pack last year. It’s not only new maps, it also adds new enemies (most of them are taken from Hexen II, but they fit really well). It’s really amazing what they could do with the modified Quake engine.

8. JeriX says:

Cool screenshots! Definitely should check this out.
    There was a post on this site about one huge map for Quake in last month or two. I forgot the name of the mod and can’t find it through tags or site search. Any suggestions?

9. MattMattMatt says:

Thanks for recommending this, RPS. I’m a big fan of Quake1’s single player – replayed it recently and the gameplay holds up well.

I’ve only played one level of AD so far, but it’s fantastic. Subtle engine improvements add great atmosphere without straying too much from the original art style. The level took me about 45 mins to play though – a massive, sprawling and elaborate map.

If you like Quake, check out AD for sure! Can’t wait to play more