A strange Stardew Valley bug makes names magical

stardew

An unusual bug has been discovered in feel-good farming game Stardew Valley, and developer Eric Barone has decided that he won’t be patching it out. The good news is that it’s actually helpful, and you’re almost certainly never going to come across it unless you seek it out.

The bug in question, noticed by IGN, is an exploit. If you name your character or pets after the ID number of an item, whenever an NPC mentions you by name, that item will spawn in your inventory. If, for instance, you’re all about jade and can’t get enough of it, name your character ‘[70]’ and you’ll get a lovely gift of jade whenever anyone uses your strange and exotic name.

“I am aware of it, but I don’t think I want to fix it,” Barone said. “It’s not game-breaking, it’s kind of amusing, and the likelihood that someone would randomly stumble upon it is extremely low. So I feel like it’s okay to leave it, and actually kind of fun.”

Barone also gave IGN a list of codes that can be used, and you can find them all here.

It’s not an exploit that I fancy using, since I couldn’t live with myself if I gave my poor farmer a numerical name. He’s not a cog in the machine! He’s a person! But if you don’t really care about what people call your character, then cheat away. It won’t be going anywhere.

While you’re here, why not also check out my favourite piece of writing on the game, Paul Dean’s ‘A year in Stardew Valley’. It is very good.

Drib says:

I remember there being some kind of bug where you could name your animals the names/ids of townsfolk and they would act like those townsfolk.

Including romantic options, IIRC.

I think that one got patched out.

2. genoforprez says:

I like that when Barone learns of a bug that isn’t gamebreaking and is actually kind of funny he’s always like, “Nah, that’s hilarious. Just leave it in.” iirc he did the same thing regarding the bug where if you give Abigail a non-food item she says “Thanks! How did you know I was hungry?” It’s funny and further establishes her as adorable in a weird/offbeat way so as far as I know that was never fixed lol

3. abomb76 says:

[666] is bacon….

4. jtron says:

Disappointed that [420] isn’t the Jazz Flower

5. parsley says:

Oh. Oh, that article. Thank you so much for linking to it.

6. KraiZor says:

Even if I don’t plan to use them it still feels good to see a dev who doesn’t charge for cheatcodes nowadays.

7. fuzzyfuzzyfungus says:

I’m pretty sure that this behavior has been known for some time.

Back in early July, Kotaku ran a piece about TheUnderscore76 using the glitch in a marriage speedrun(26 minutes, 9 seconds; since improved to 15 minutes 27 seconds).

I assume that the glitch was known for some time before then, as the prior recordholder also uses it, or something similar; and speedruns often take a little refining.

• Jernau Gurgeh says:

“It turns out that spewing prismatic shards every time your name comes up is a good way to become popular quickly.”

This happens to me in real life. It’s not very pleasant.

Comment on this story