Makers of RPG Maker make Visual Novel Maker

visual-novel-maker-1

The makers of RPG Maker are making a new maker called Visual Novel Maker which makes the maker make the makings of okay I’m going to stop now. The piece of DIY software is a “tool for Visual Novel Creation aimed towards aspiring artists and writers,” say creators Degica Games. Like its RPG brethren, it comes with basic assets (characters, backgrounds, sound effects, etc) but is managed by a “simple point-and-click or drag-and-drop interface” with some scripting also available. It’s coming out on November 16.

This makes sense, given the developer’s seemingly endless line of RPG Makers and attendant DLC. But Ren’Py already has something of a stake on this ‘ere land, being the free visual novel suite used by storytellers such as Ladykiller in a Bind creator Christine Love. There’s also the Visual Novel Engine which is free as well. It looks like Degica want to make it easier for absolute beginners to throw together dating simulators and horror stories, but this will likely include a price tag (although we don’t know what that is yet).

For those worried about Maker games gridlocking the videogames highway, it’s good to remember that a lot of good things have come from RPG Maker. To The Moon, OneShot, Space Funeral and Rakuen were all made within its confines. If you have to ignore a few thumbnails on Steam to get a roster like that, I’m not complaining. It’s making a maker’s work make more make and to make it make make it makes maker make making make make make make make make make–

[Brendan has been removed for servicing – Ed]

1. Luciferous says:

Okay, this works for me timing wise, I’ve been considering turning an unfinished/unpolished short novel in to a VN for some time, I’ll give this a go!

2. poliovaccine says:

Awesome, def gonna try this thing out, maybe transcribe some of my comics..! Last time I tried doing that kinda thing via computer was with Flash MX, which pretty well put me off trying that again.

3. Sir_Pete says:

Looking forward more news. I’m really interested on which platforms you can export the VNs (and I hope Android would be there).

4. jezcentral says:

Also, how easy is it to add stuff, outside of the usual VN fare? (I’m thinking stuff like the missions in Ren’Py-built The Black Closet).

• ThTa says:

On their site (link to tkool.jp) they explain that it’s possible to write plug-ins in JavaScript or CoffeeScript to add new features (which can then be packaged and shared). In their example screenshot they show a game of Blackjack.

So… It’s not gonna be super easy, but they’re not holding you back, either.

Drib says:

Well Steam is absolutely full of VNs that are an excuse for a few tit pictures and badly translated/written dialog.

So what the hell, may as well have more.

• jusplathemus says:

You could try Lucid9, it may change your opinion. It’s free, there’s no sexual content, it’s originally English (not translated) and one of, if not the best VN I’ve ever read.

• malkav11 says:

I think you’re misunderstanding the post you’re replying to. They’re not accusing all VNs of being that. But Steam -is- absolutely full of VNs that are an excuse for a few tit pictures and badly translated and/or written dialogue, and it does a lot to drown out the actually good ones, like Steins;Gate or Doki Doki Literature Club (no really), or presumably this Lucid9 you’re talking about.

And let’s face it, an easy VN creator will almost certainly lead to plenty more of the half-assed ones.

• jusplathemus says:

Yeah, you’re right, my bad. I can’t argue on Steam being riddled with stuff like that. Still, I can’t recommend Lucid9 enough. It’s got a great story, deep characters, awesome atmosphere and music. I actually liked it much more than Steins;Gate (and I’ve yet to try Doki Doki Literature Club).

MajorLag says:

True, but in general making it easier to create things is good for the medium. How many game devs got their start with DOOM or Quake modding? How many indie developers today started out in Flash?

I grew up in a time when making a game meant learning to program in C and knowing the address of the VESA buffer (0xA0000 in mode 0x13*), among other arcane magicks. Because of that, I have a certain subconscious disdain for these tools and their users, but rationally I know that we’d never have had a lot of the great creative works we know today without them.

*if you’re using something other than 13h (320×200 8bit color), addressing could get much more complicated.

• malkav11 says:

Yeah, hopefully it will also lead to cool things. But I’ll be leaving the sifting through the boobpile to someone else.

6. Darth Gangrel says:

Brendan has met his Maker?

7. Tayh says:

Are they finally going to add a volume control so you can, at long last, mute that shitty music people like adding to their games?

8. LivingfortheNight says:

Weebos everywhere are rolling up their sleeves.

9. DasBilligeAlien says:

Another VN Editor that is pretty cool and affordable is Tyrano Builder.
    link to tyranobuilder.com
    Very good Steam Community.

Comment on this story