Middle-earth: Shadow of War unveils its DLC plans

middleearth

Middle-earth: Shadow of War is a very big game, full of very big Orcs. It’s probably big enough. Regardless, it’s getting a slew of DLC, introducing two new Orc tribes and some story expansions that let you play as the tale’s secondary characters. The tribal addition is due next month, and you can get a brief taste of all the upcoming DLC in the trailer below.

The new orc tribes are integrated into the Nemesis system, as the trailer explains, “adding a completely new dynamic to your open world experience.” I love me some marketing nonsense. What that really means is that there will simply be more Orcs to murder and convert, along with a new fortress and extra outposts.

The Slaughter Tribe are a particularly horrible bunch, all bloodthirsty maniacs who decorate their bases with skin and bones and guts. They’re sneaky buggers too, so watch out for ambushes. They’ll arrive next month, along with infinite shadow wars, extending the end game indefinitely. A month later, the Slaughter Tribe will be joined by a band of Orc outcasts. What awful things must they have done to be exiled from Orc society? Probably something shocking, like showering or eating with cutlery.

Next year, we’ll be getting story DLC in the form of the Blade of Galadriel, which will let you fight Nazgûl as Eltariel, the Elven assassin. It will appear in February, and you’ll be able to play around with new skills and unlock special gear for the hooded stabber. Then, in May, the final piece of DLC arrives. Desolation of Mordor will put you in the boots of Minas Ithil’s captain, Baranor. This time, you’ll be putting together a human army rather than an Orc one, to face a threat to the east. Both story DLCs will include skins that you can use in the main game.

I’m about a third of the way through the game right now, and still very much loving it. I feel a bit bad about all the murder, but I’m thoroughly enjoying the dating sim at the heart of the game. I suspect I’ll feel very much done with it by the end, however, which I hear is a bit of a slog, so no DLC for me.

1. Nova says:

Will you be able to play the main game with Eltariel? I remember that you could free roam as a female ranger in the first game.

• Rince says:

And in the first game in all the cutscenes the female ranger would transform magically in the dude MC. Pretty lazy if you ask me.

• Menthalion says:

You seem to have lost all the extra layers of storytelling on a woman identifying as a male ranger possessed by an age old elven dom spirit fighting other age old elven sub spirits identifying as Orcs.

2. Crimsoneer says:

I so desperately wanted to love you this, but the terrible difficulty balancing really ruins it for me. Sieges are a great concept, but it just… Doesn’t work. Most of the game is trivial even on nemesis, until you run into certain captains who seem just impossible (especially overlords). I was convinced I’d buy the season pass, but I’m so sick of steamrolling most of the game and hitting random walls

Iamblichos says:

I think the missing bit is where captains, instead of being labeled “Vulnerable To”, should be labeled “ONLY Vulnerable To”. There is also a bit of a balance problem where you get a randomly assigned vulnerability which is directly countered by their other abilities.

3. philosoaper says:

I quit playing games on mobile because of the “bags of gold” “chests of gems” “piles of bullshit”.. on PC I’m not even gonna bother trying.. any game with microtransactions that impact gameplay will be generally ignored if free and absolutely ignored if NOT free. paying for a game that has this bullshit in is, it out of the fucking question! .. which is sad because I liked the predecessor.. but fuck this humongous pile of garbage..

4. Falsadoom says:

When they add the patch so I can spend my 150k of accumulated Mirian on OFFLINE loot boxes, and have my garrison offline too (orders and all), you know like Assassins Creed Origins does, then I’ll care about this game again (finished it all Shadow Wars too). This is from someone who adored Shadow of Mordor…

Until then, been there, done that, better things to do…

Comment on this story