Destiny 2 players will get ‘better rewards’ from Strikes and PvP, says Bungie

destiny2

Destiny 2’s PC launch means that the developers at Bungie will be focusing on maintenance, and to kick things off game director Christopher Barrett has confirmed some of the improvements and tweaks that were announced at TwitchCon. There’s a mix of end-game features, more “incentives” and rewards for playing Strikes and firefighting in the Crucible’s PvP, as well as some additional ways to spend in-game currency.

Here’s the full list of upcoming changes, according to Bungie:

• New systems and rewards to give our most engaged players additional, optional pursuits.
  • Better incentives for players who complete challenging Prestige activities.
  • Better rewards and replay value for strikes, adventures, and Lost Sectors.
  • Private matches for the competitive community (we are targeting early 2018).
  • Crucible tuning like adjusted Supremacy scoring and better spawning rules.
  • Better incentives for completing Crucible matches (and penalties for quitting competitive games).
  • Continued improvements to Iron Banner and Faction Rallies, including uniqueness of rewards.
  • Changes to make the mod economy more interesting and impactful.
  • Ongoing improvements to Exotics, including adjustments to reduce instances of duplication.
  • New ways to spend surplus currency and materials (looking at you Legendary Shards).
  • An emote interface that allows players to equip Salty, Spicy Ramen, Six Shooter, and Flip Out all at the same time.

I’m not far enough into the game for any of these to really make a difference to Present Fraser, but Future Fraser is sure to be a happy boy.

If you’re not sure if Bungie’s latest shooter is for you, take a look at Rich’s Destiny 2 review. If you want to know whether the story is super sci-fi or shoddy schmi-fi, Matt and Brendan argued about that too.

1. stringerdell says:

I got Destiny 2 on PS4 to play with pals and was considering picking it up for PC too but the way nightfall strikes work now has completely killed it for me.

Every week there is a strict time limit which is your main enemy. I dont really like being rushed or find it fun so I guess Ill drop it until I hear things have changed

• welverin says:

That was a baffling change, why didn’t they keep the challenge system they added to the first game? Turn the challenges into requirements was nonsensical, but then it’s not the only change that was a step back.

2. fray_bentos says:

The only reward I seek when gaming is a bit of story line, variety in the experience, and a bit of escapism. I really don’t understand this repetitive grind = random (worthless, to me) loot model that seems to hook some people. Am I too old (37)?

Nauallis says:

It’s okay, your understanding is not required for other people to have fun.

• Chromatose says:

Destiny has all these things in addition to an already pretty satisfying loot economy. There’s a certain compulsive loop to attaining cool new gear, but it’s by far not the only thing Destiny has going for it.

• renner says:

I’m not a fan of grind either, but I don’t think you need to grind to enjoy Destiny. If you don’t really care about maxing out your level, you can ignore the grind-y activities and just enjoy a pretty solid (and great looking) shooter campaign with light RPG elements. The PvP is a lot of fun too, I plan on putting a lot more time into that than the PvE grind.

• fish99 says:

I’m 43 and love stuff like Destiny/Borderlands/Diablo so it’s not age. As Renner says you can skip the grind, do each bit of content once and move on with your life. That’s what I did with the first Destiny.

3. SableKeech says:

As I said on PCG, the lack of discussion around this game kinda feels like it is viewed with disinterest. Considering it is one of the biggest releases of the year, it is pretty damning.

• simontifik says:

I think a lot of people have had their fill on consoles so the PC launch has been pretty quiet. There’s not much else to say except it looks nice and runs real good.

I’m playing Destiny for the first time on PC and enjoying the heck out of it.

• ChrisT1981 says:

Well in PC land this Oktober is a pretty big month as far as releases go:

Kicking off with Shadow of War, then this week there is Destiny 2 and a new Assassins Creed. And in between some minor but still anticipated titles (at least by the Studio fanbase) such as Elex and anohter Episode of LiS BTS. And I am sure I am forgetting some.

Then there still is September’s surprise hit D:OS2, which surely has some People stll tied in that didn’t plan on that.

Also Destiny does not have big bad microtransactionist loot crates (at least None I am Aware of as of yet), which clearly is the Topic of the month.

• Ericusson says:

Assassin Creed 12, Shadow of the loot box and Destiny 2 …

I am so glad to totally ignore these crap production of 0 friction production max ROI, almost unconsciously now.
        Being a video game snob never felt so good I guess ? somehow ?

• Unsheep says:

I disagree with your conclusion.

The coverage is muted because Destiny 2 is not a new game, it came out 2 months ago. Plus, Destiny 2 is very similar to the first Destiny game, which came out in 2014. So the media and most consumers already know what kind of game it is, there’s no point in writing daily articles about it.

This typically happens whenever a game is released on different dates on different platforms (Rise Of The Tomb Raider, Nier: Automata, …). When PC “exclusives” are released on console they too are met by a muted media coverage.

Lastly, Destiny 2 is not a “full-on” multiplayer FPS game, unlike Overwatch and Counter Strike. It has more in common with Tom Clancy’s The Division than it does those games, and the coverage for this rather unique niche is quite small by comparison.

• jman420 says:

as someone who put a lot of time into the original destiny on xbox I can tell you this is just hi res and slightly different story of the first. Thats it. Otherwise its literally identical and I was extremely disapointed that I spent $60 on it. I would say avoid it personally, because as many others have said, its a “theme park”. Once the adrenaline rush is over, well…it sucks.

4. Unsheep says:

PvP is the most boring part of any game, so those improvements don’t mean anything to me.

However, improving strikes, adventures, and Lost Sectors is a great thing, that’s what I spend 99% of my time on in the game.

I prefer the Adventure missions, as they are the only post-campaign activities that offer more lore.

5. Krull says:

I was curious about this game. Wanted to test it for PC, how fun it actually is.. What I got is weird pvp with iffy hit detection and “singleplayer” with amazing and beautiful sceneries, but very tedious and repetitive mechanics after a while (there are same enemies through whole game, that’s just silly).

Comment on this story