Nvidia’s GTX 1070Ti is arriving next week for £420 / $449

Nvidia GTX 1070Ti

We all knew it was coming, but Nvidia have finally confirmed the GTX 1070Ti. Sitting roughly between the GTX 1070 and GTX 1080 in terms of specs and performance, the card will start shipping from November 2nd, with pre-orders open right now should you feel so inclined. It will set you back a fair chunk of change, costing upwards of £420 / $449 depending on which manufacturer design you go for, but with Nvidia’s next-gen Volta cards still seemingly a long way off and many regular GTX 1070 cards still priced in a similar kind of ball park, the GTX 1070Ti might be the card for you if you want something to rival AMD’s brand-new Vega cards.

Based on Nvidia’s current Pascal architecture, the GTX 1070Ti has considerably more cores than its non-Ti counterpart – 2432 of them, to be precise, compared to the GTX 1070’s 1920 cores – and a higher base clock speed of 1607Mhz. Its memory specs and boost clock speed of 1683Mhz are still the same as the regular version, but it should be a better performer and more proficient multi-tasker straight off the bat.

The GTX 1070Ti is a little more power hungry than the regular GTX 1070, drawing 180W rather than 150W, but judging by Nvidia’s testing comparisons on games like The Witcher 3 and Tomb Raider, it looks to be a worthwhile pay-off. We’re not talking huge boosts in performance over the GTX 1070, but those looking to upgrade from a GTX 970 should definitely keep an eye on it considering the current price of each card isn’t that far apart right now.

How the GTX 1070Ti compares to the GTX 1080, however, is still a bit of a mystery, as Nvidia neglected to provide any direct comparisons in its initial announcement materials, so we’ll have to wait until we get one in for testing to see how it fares in practice. Until then, though, watch this space.

1. StAUG says:

Eh, I’ll stick with my 1080ti :)

2. Bostec says:

On a more serious note my 970 is looking a little long in the tooth and as I have a 1440p monitor now, its chugging on some games so this looks good. I’ll wait for the 1070ti/1080 comparison I think.

• Vandelay says:

Just so you know, I have a 1070 and also a 1440p monitor. I’ve not had issues with running anything. I don’t normally use AA, but I don’t miss it too much at that res.

• Bostec says:

Thanks, wasn’t sure if just 1070 alone would be enough. I might consider that now. Hopefully the 1070 prices will start dropping abit when the ti’s launch.

• MattM says:

I’ve noticed that too. I’ve got the ASUS PG279Q 27″ 1440p monitor and I don’t feel nearly as much need for AA as I did on older monitors.
        I might throw on 2x msaa or one of the post-process methods, but it isn’t necessary. I also find that either the pixel density or the improvements in post-process methods have made the texture blurring problem much less noticeable to the point that I don’t worry about it now.

• Ryrynz says:

Honestly I’m surprised you’re still using it. My brother had a 970 and upgraded to a 980Ti which is basically 1070 performance and he said the the difference was huge. The 970 is just not a good card for what you’re using it for and you should definitely fast track the upgrade.

• Veles says:

My 970 is still handling 1440 perfectly fine

3. TechnicalBen says:

Thank you for your post… honestly. Why? Because I am also asking… “who is this for”? I mean, who is going to go, I don’t have enough for a 1080ti, and a 1080/1070/1060(ti?) is not enough! I mean, do we really need price and performance brackets down to the quantum scale?

• Zenicetus says:

Well, the article did mention one “who it’s for,” and that would be the current 970 owners who haven’t upgraded yet. That would be me, and I’ll probably buy this card in the near future.

The card I *want* is a 1080ti, but there always seem to be other priorities every month that don’t allow spending that much. The 1070ti is an attractive option, and (supposedly?) has something like twice the performance of my 970. Spending for twice the performance is usually the sweet spot for a video card upgrade, unless you just have money to burn.

• Flangie says:

I also have a 970, which cost £240. Every card i have bought since the original geforce 1 had pretty much double the performance, for which I would pay around the same as the previous card. With this generation it has suddenly become ok to charge double for double….will we end up paying 800 quid for double 1070ti performance in 4 years time?

The whole thing has gone effing nuts. Thankfully I only play at 1080p so have no need to upgrade for the forseeable….:-)

• Zenicetus says:

It’s tempting to think the cryptocurrency thing has kept the prices artificially high due to demand and chip availability. For whatever reason, this will cost more than I spent on my 970 for the usual 2x performance upgrade cycle. Something’s out of whack.

I’m another one running lower res (1920×1200) so the 970 would last me a while longer, except for the compromised VRAM. I could use that 8gb VRAM on the newer cards for modern flight sims that actually use it, like X-Plane.

• Baines says:

Nvidia would have increased prices anyway. What cryptocurrency mining has done is to keep prices from dropping.

Nvidia’s cards sold out at their inflated prices. They were probably going to sell out anyway. What mining did was make sure that they sold out for extended periods and drove up reseller mark-ups. Making matters worse is that mining has gobbled up AMD’s cheaper cards, driving up their prices to match Nvidia’s and killing any pressure from anyone to sell at reduced prices.

• fray_bentos says:

Agreed. You can pick up a 1080 for £15-20 more than the RRP of the 1070 Ti if you shop around. It does seem to be a strange super fine-toothed pricing / marketing strategy. Perhaps they had a stockpile of spare chips that were not quite 1080-worthy sat around that they wanted to convert into cash?

• Ragnar says:

It’s for those tempted by the price performance of Vega 56, to keep them from switching to the Red Team.

Nvidia’s next gen cards aren’t ready, and there’s no reason for them to release them yet even if they were, but they still want to be able to say that they have the best card at every price point.

Vega 56 is a little faster than the 1070, but cheaper than the 1080. So the 1070Ti is meant to take on the Vega 56, being a little faster than the 1070 while cheaper than the 1080.

And given that the 1070 is still selling well above the stated MSRP, the 1070Ti may be a more tempting option for everyone put off by the 1070’s high price but unwilling to spend the premium on the 1080 (just as the Vega 56 is).

4. Nokturnal says:

*raises hand* Hi, lazy gamer here. I like video games but don’t care for learning about what the mumbo jumbo translates to.

When a game says I need Xgb of VRAM I listen and know what to aim for, but this article doesn’t give any indication what X is for this card. I’m sure it’s not necessary to the vast majority, but could we get this number in future articles?

• Ghostwise says:

The lazy answer is “it depends how much VRAM is on a given card 1070Ti card”.

• Ragnar says:

I believe they will all ship with 8GB VRAM, just like the current 1070. It will also not be the faster memory found on the 1080, but the same as on the current 1070.

5. fray_bentos says:

I don’t understand why base clock speeds are even listed or talked about in regards to the specifications of the Pascal cards. For example, my 1070 settles in to one of the 13 Mhz rungs between 2088-2050 MHz depending upon the demand of the game and resulting temperature. Meanwhile, the base clock of my card is supposed to be 1595 MHz…which I am not sure I have ever seen the card run at.

6. Asurmen says:

Meanwhile, I’m still waiting on the custom Vega cards that were in the wings months ago.

7. Ejia says:

Let the cryptocurrency miners grab these and then get the 1080.

8. Ghostwise says:

Still clinging to me old 770 until the 1170 is released and buyable.

With me luck, it’ll be unaffordable for six months as some new crypothingie becomes the latest hot thing.

9. aircool says:

The new 6 core i5 and the 1070ti is exactly what I’ve been waiting for. My i5-3570 is getting long in the tooth, its 4.5GHz overclock has kept it competitive for the last few years (my PC is 5.5 years old) which is the reason my new PC will have the overclocked i5.

I slotted a 970 a few years ago, but the CPU is definitely a bottleneck (1080p G-sync monitor).

You might say that a 1070ti is a bit much for 1080p gaming, but high frame rates on a G-Sync monitor provide a great gaming experience and my eyes are used to a minimum of 60fps. However, to get those framerates with my current system, shadows and high end AA have to be sacrificed.

As for the price, it would appear that it’s in the same price bracket as most 1070’s that don’t use the reference board.

10. Enko says:

I have all the money and none of the reasons to switch from my 980ti(s).

I wish NVidia pushed further with each gen.

11. peterako1989 says: