The Amazing Eternals cancelled 2 months after its debut

The Amazing Eternals

I’m not sure if this is a record for a high-profile studio announcing, releasing and shutting down an online game, but it probably comes close. The Amazing Eternals – the pulp sci-fi themed hero shooter from Warframe studio Digital Extremes – is being put on hold just two months after launching its beta.

Considering the game was only announced on the 16th of August, with its first public beta starting two weeks later, this is rather quick. But Digital Extremes were surprisingly candid in their short forum-posted letter to the community. The game just wasn’t drawing the crowds needed, and the servers are scheduled to officially close on November 2nd.

“Unfortunately, the game wasn’t attracting players fast enough to support a viable matchmaking player base with the current game design direction, which is the lifeblood of this type of game,” said the statement. “So, with heavy hearts, we’re taking a step back to reevaluate the design and may revisit our intrepid heroes in the future.”

This decision comes in the wake of Warframe’s Plains of Eidolon expansion, which adds to the studio’s stable space-ninja shooter. While sad to see The Amazing Eternals and its pulp sci-fi setting abandoned so early, it’s understandable from a pragmatic perspective: Better to assign development resources to an existing, growing success than gamble on a risky genre after a weak early showing.

Digital Extremes are offering full refunds to anyone who bought the game via their Founders Program, although people should probably move fast on that, as it’s only available for a 72 hour period – less a day, at the time of writing. They do hope to return to the pulp heroes at some point, says the studio, but at the moment there are no plans and nothing to announce. Until further notice, The Amazing Eternals is going back in its box.

1. GrumpyCatFace says:

Tfw you “can’t afford” to run your servers, without a million subscribers.

• Dominic Tarason says:

It’s not so much that as that the beta was turning out non-viable, with there being so little interest in the game that players weren’t able to find a match.

If you can’t even rustle up 100 concurrent players while your other game is clocking in at 50,000 during off-peak hours, then it’s probably not a game worth investing time and money in.

• Jalan says:

Even though it certainly wasn’t the first game to exhibit the problem, I want to believe that this will eventually become commonly referred to as the “Battleborn Effect”.

2. shinkshank says:

Always shame when a game gets shelved, although I can’t say I’m too surprised. The moment I saw footage and mechanics breakdowns, I was skeptical that it was gonna make it. It’s deckbuilding but also a twitch-speed arena shooter!

But I’m sure Gearbox is gonna do a much better job of such an out-there concept, what with their track record.

3. Chromatose says:

That they’re offering refunds to everybody on the founders program is a pretty classy move given the circumstances.

4. Simes says:

It wasn’t attracting players fast enough… during closed beta?

• April March says:

I was confused by that too. Maybe not even the people who did enter the beta were playing? That’s a surefure indicator your game’s not very fun.

5. Winstons says:

Oh hey look, a crowded marketplace. ME TOO!

• MrLoque says:

True but… Honest question: are there any profitable non-crowded marketplaces in 2017?

• shinkshank says:

A question best answered by someone taking even the mildest risk and trying to find out, rather than shoving into explored territory.

• mitrovarr says:

This was a particularly bad marketplace to try to push into, too. The problem with multiplayer hero shooters is, the fun in them is trying to get good at them and compete, and the better you get the more fun they are. The awkward early parts when you are just starting are generally the worst. So, it’s a genre where most people really want to avoid playing too many of them, and would prefer to concentrate on just one or maybe a few.

The market seems to favor one highly dominant entry with a few others hanging around below, generally being free to play. Trying to make another until Overwatch really starts to falter is almost certainly a failing move.

6. crazyd says:

It was a competitive multiplayer shooter where you could grind / buy functional advantages. Good riddance. Maybe they’ll redesign it to have some sense of balance.

7. tomimt says:

I get why studios want to go to MMO market as if you succeed, the business can be lucrative. But not all is meant to be MMO, some games even suffer from it, like the Secret World as an example, which is a decent singleplayer game trapped in a bad MMO frame.

8. Freud says:

Hi there. Didn’t see you behind the Overwatch.

9. BaronKreight says:

Bad news. Really liked the game, it was refreshing. On the bright side this is likely a sign of Warframe’s recent success.

10. Shirsh says:

That’s first time I ever hearing about this game. Maybe they should’ve been put more efforts in telling people about it.
    Video looks a bit too overwatchey though, maybe they should’ve been put more efforts in making it looks freshier. Theme and whatever deck mechanic sound cool.

11. Christo4 says:

Wasn’t it in closed beta or something? Didn’t even know it was launched. How about putting it on steam or in the warframe news that it’s open beta. I would have at least given it a shot since it seems interesting, but last time i searched for it some time ago it said that it will be launched soon and never heard about it since. They should really do a better job marketing and spreading awareness before closing it imo.

12. Kyuurei says:

You know how do you attract more people to play your beta game? Invite them in for free like in the good old days instead of selling overpriced “founders packs”. I never like seeing a game not even making it out of beta but I hope this is going to happen more often if it means we can get rid of this stupid paid beta practice.

13. LNO says:

Ive over 400 hours in warframe, first Ive ever heard of this game. If you cant even inform your loyal customers about it, it is doomed to fail. Seemed like something i would be interested in.

• po says:

And meanwhile Warframe has bad, neglected PvP. The market for this was right there in their own Warframe playerbase.

I’m thinking this is just another example of what I’m going to call ‘Rockstar Developer Syndrome’. They have a successful release, think they’re God’s gift to the artform, and then fail to listen to others. Even those better qualified to judge if the next planned creative project will be successful.

I’m sure someone tried to tell them ‘It’s a bad idea’.

14. Maxheadroom says:

I got in the beta for this then clean forgot all about it

Moot point now but Keystone was a much better name than the super generic title they changed it to (I literally just had to scroll up to the top of the article to remember what it was called)

Wouldnt be surprised if that had something to do with it disappearing into obscurity before it even launched

15. cpt_freakout says:

I was looking forward to trying it when it came out (I’m no longer hyped or invested in betas, TBH), and from the response it does seem a little strange that they outright canceled it without even trying their hand at a little bit of promotion or marketing.

16. chaos4u says:

The game had some strong character concepts and i really liked the idea of the retro scifi theme .

unfortunately for some reason that concept did not make it into the game play. it pretty much was a reskin of overwatch .

the deck building twist was not enough to differentiate its game play from all the other fps vying for your attention .

the maps while not bad did not reflect the retro scifi at all nor did the gameplay .

maybe if they do a rethink they will double down on the retro and watch some buck rogers, flash gordon, and some 50’s sci fi movies and incorporate that inspiration into the game.

make the maps reflect that genre, rework the deck building so it has stronger influence on the players game. and i think they might have something.

otherwise it was just to weak of an effort surmount the gluttony of similar games.

• April March says:

That was a very pondered and well-written review, especially from someone who clearly hates capital letters. Thanks for sharing. I haven’t played it but I too hope they’ll rethink it and come up with something better, the concept sounds pretty great.

17. malkav11 says:

I think I saw this pop up in my Steam store page. The visuals looked great, the setting and designs and stuff looked really cool…and then I discovered it was a PvP multiplayer game with intense freemium hooks and all interest vanished. Give me this stuff in the form of a singleplayer game with a narrative-driven campaign, or even some sort of coop experience, and I’d be on board.

• Kollega says:

You may want to check out Headlander. It’s a bit later in the timeframe (with kitschy 1960s pulp instead of two-fisted 1930s pulp), but it’s a single-player game that does indeed tackle stuff like astronaut fashion, fantabulous environments, future-music, and robo-biffing galore.

It also has a lot of sex puns, so that’s always a plus. :P

18. bill says:

Never heard of it. And if I had heard of it, I’d at least of taken a closer look because I love the theme and aesthetic.

Though I was a little disappointed on opening up the video to discover that it’s a first person arena shooter.
    I love first person shooters, but a lot of the appeal of the pulp character designs is lost when you can only see a hand/gun.
    The theme becomes much less important in that kind of game.

That said, the design/art etc all looks nice… they should repurpose it as a single player game, or as levels for Warframe or something.

(Side note: I’d definitely play a pulp sci-fi themed single player game. Original Flash Gordon or Buck Rodgers type stuff.. )

19. Nate says:

Played the Amazing Eternals beta. Deck building was just not a good idea to combine with an FPS. It interfered with your FPS gameplay enjoyment.

While I played the FPS movement wasn’t smooth. Also maps didn’t produce a feeling of an old sci fiction movie.

20. TrenchFoot says:

Also known as a “failure.” Game designers get away with murder.

Comment on this story