The Foxer

Warm-up Foxer (Where am I?)

I’m 200 metres from a sizeable mushroom farm. I can see a railway locomotive numbered 8789. The street I’m on shares a name with a Tintin character, a Viceroy of India, and an Antipodean art prize. I’m at the same latitude as a city featured in Battlefield 1. I’m 1.5km from a footloose fort named after a British Overseas Territory. I’m in a country that won’t be playing in the 2018 FIFA World Cup. I’m standing next to a grain elevator that no longer exists.

Feature Foxer (Identify the collage theme)

*       *       *

SOLUTIONS

Last week’s Warm-Up Foxer: coal torpedo (defoxed by mrpier)

Last week’s Feature Foxer theme: twists (defoxed by Gothnak)

a twist of cherry-coloured silk (phuzz)
b twist of orange (Matchstick)
c barley twist (Gothnak)
d Hank Ballard‘s ‘The Twist’ (unsolved)
e twist of fate (eeldvark)
f twist and shout (unsolved)
g Bejeweled Twist (Little_Crow)
h twist or stick (phuzz)
Oliver Twist (AFKAMC)
j Simon ‘Twist’ Eliasson (AbyssUK)
k twist of tobacco (AbyssUK)
l plot twist (Arioch_RN)
m Twist from Spaced (richtysoe)

1. unacom says:

The screaming gentleman bottom left is Captian Haddock of Tintin fame.

2. Stugle says:

Bottom left: Captain Haddock, to continue the Tin Tin theme.

3. Artiforg says:

Is that Monty in the bottom photo?

The skeleton holding out it’s hands is the select character Skeleton from Golden Axe.

Captain Haddock from Tintin in the bottom left.

• Rorschach617 says:

Monty.

I dunno. Usually the giveaway is the 2 cap badges on the beret whereas this chap wears only one (flanked by those bars, hmm).

Frederick “Boy” Browning ‘looks’ like this gentleman, but I cannot find a photo to match the foxer.

• Artiforg says:

It was the cap, the age and pointiness of the face that made me think it was Monty.

• Gothnak says:

Can you smart military types identify what the badge is on his beret and work back from there?

• Rorschach617 says:

Even zoomed in, there is not a lot of detail to work on.

At least from there I can see that the chap has no moustache (not Monty or Browning then) and that the vertical bars on the side of the beret’s badge might be the edges of a cloth square sewn onto the beret.

4. Artiforg says:

The photo on the far left is of Patrick Newell (black suit, moustache) who was in the Avengers as Mother.

• Gothnak says:

Goddamn it, i was in town shopping, meaning i was 10 mins late for the Foxer, i would have had this one sir (Or madam)!

• Artiforg says:

That’s the thing that normally happens to me! Most weeks I can’t get anything, then the one week I’m late because I’ve been busy and forgotten about the Foxer I miss being able to get the one answer I know! Case in point, Nicholas Burns as Nathan Barley which you got last week.

5. Artiforg says:

Nottingham Forest logo on the right.

6. Gothnak says:

Bottom Left photo is ‘Mother’ from The Avengers, yeah, the guy with the moustache. I think that’s the first photo i’ve actually recognised immediately.

link to i.pinimg.com

7. Shiloh says:

The boardgame counters are from Brothers in Arms. So on that evidence alone, I’m immediately calling this as a “Dire Straits”-themed Foxer!

8. mrpier says:

The sketchy looking feller on the right is Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec (self portrait).

phuzz says:

The object with skids on the left is a CQ-10 ‘Snow Goose’. It’s basically a sort of paragliding drone designed to carry cargo.

10. unacom says:

Is the boat memorial bottom right, a memorial for the Sailors who died during the Shetland Bus?

11. Gothnak says:

Goose…

Snow Goose,
    Golden Goose,
    Toulouse Goose,
    Mother Goose,
    Nottingham Goose Fair?
    Normandy Goose.

12. phlebas says:

I’m still working on the exact location, but I believe the warm-up places us on Archibald Street in Winnipeg, about the appropriate distance from Fort Gibraltar.

13. unacom says:

I´m sure the patch behind the drone sports an entrenching tool. I´d assume this would be some kind of a sappers or combat engineers patch. But I can´t place it.

14. mrpier says:

The boat on the wave is the Shetland Bus Memorial at Scalloway.

15. Gothnak says:

So it just leaves what i assume was an Airline Logo in the background, it looked like an Eagle, so i assumed South American, but no luck.

16. Teek says:

The soldier in the Beret is Thomas Michael “Mad Mike” Hoare, a mercenary who also served as a technical adviser for the film “The Wild Geese” and was the inspiration for Colonel Alan Faulkner (played by Richard Burton).

I’m trying to figure out the Captain Haddock connection. That image is from Tintin in Tibet if I’m not mistaken, not sure if it makes a difference.

• Rorschach617 says:

Blistering Barnacles!!!!

It’s a tough one.

Hold on a minute!!!!!

• Teek says:

Funnily enough, there is a connection with the warm-up foxer, which was Archibald street. Archibald is Captain Haddock’s first name. Doesn’t help at all with the main event though…

Comment on this story