Ultra-violent Nazi shooter Wolfenstein II is out now

Axe and ye shall receive

It’s Bash-the-Fash Friday in the corridors of RPS today. Some of us are celebrating by playing Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, which is out now in case you didn’t notice. Our Adam liked the dystopian shooter , enough to say it was “a hair’s breadth away from being one of my favourite singleplayer action games of all time”. Crikey.

We’ve already told you about the system requirements, so there’s no need to look so lost and confused. If what you’re actually looking for is some multiplayer, well, you’re not getting any. It would ‘dilute’ the storytelling, say Machine Games. Do you like that I’m basically regurgitating all our recent coverage so I can flesh out this simple reminder-post? I hope so. Because here’s a chunk of Adam’s Wolfenstein 2 review:

“The whole game is spinning a lot of plates, though perhaps it’s more like juggling chainsaws. From the opening scenes, it’s brutal in both its language and its depiction of violence. Domestic abuse, virulent racism, innocents harmed and murdered. That it then spins off into grindhouse grit and slapstick comedy, before pinballing into melancholy, dread, romance and sentimentality is absurd. I found it to be brilliantly absurd, and laughed, cringed and cried (yes, I cried while playing a Wolfenstein game; 2017 is weird), but be prepared for some real horrors alongside all of the imagined ones.”

Bash-the-Fash Friday is an artificial day, of course, invented to make us workers more placid and accepting of our cog-like roles in society. Not at all like Meaningless Marketing Monday.

1. Seafoam says:

I gotta buy this to shoot some nazis. Of course because it seems like a good game too but mostly nazis.

Also because we all know how Wolfenstein 2 comment sections go let’s get this out of the way:
    Shooting literal nazis is not “too controversial” or “too political”, it should be common fucking sense.

• PanFaceSpoonFeet says:

I take it you don’t like literal Nazis? C’mon.. They can’t all bad. What they get up to on the dark side of the moon in their own time is up to them imo.

• erasus says:

Nice idea, start from yourself.

” Shooting literal nazis is not “too controversial” or “too political” ”

Risingson says:

This is the internet. Where you can be called to be a lot of things in common with the nazis for Wolfenstein. And you cannot call them to fuck off.

• Seafoam says:

Death camps and genocide aren’t “just political opinions”. If you defend nazis rights to express such evils I will take it as a human right to call you a tosser.

• Chromatose says:

“Its all political for you and it was for nazis. You have lots of things in common.”

What an astonishingly asinine and childish statement.

• Solidstate89 says:

Finding nazi apologists is as easy as spotting the vegan.

• fray_bentos says:

What about liberal nazis? OK to shoot or not?

• mmandthetat says:

If they existed, you’d definitely be allowed to shoot them.

• jman420 says:

“if” they existed? You do realise “NAZI” is short for the “national socialist” party right? Socialism…hmm..who is a socialist….bernie sanders!

• mmandthetat says:

This game is such epic troll bait. It’s been interesting watching the right-wingers out themselves by getting so defensive over a Nazi shooter.

• agentghost says:

did you just assume ppl who disagree with your view to be right-winger? I am left wing and I am disgusted by your bigotry

• batraz says:

The irony being that article casually mentionning « islamic art » a little sooner : moral jugement has eclipses it seems. (Hate nazis too btw, always did since at least Raiders of the Lost Ark)

2. guidom says:

of course, but since we live in a democracy, we should respect the nazi’s right to free speech and allow them to air their own opinion, and then shoot them.

3. Stumped says:

Gandhi would be appalled….

“After advising the British to lay down their arms and surrender to the Nazis, he advised the British people that if the Nazis “do not give you free passage out, you will allow yourself, man, woman and child, to be slaughtered, but you will refuse to owe allegiance to them.”

• Seafoam says:

Yeah Gandhi did say some bizarre things at times, he wrote to the British during WW2 that:
      “This manslaughter must be stopped. You are losing; if you persist, it will only result in greater bloodshed. Hitler is not a bad man.”

But also even more bizarrely and perhaps hypocritically he said this about his son, about the time when he was assaulted in 1908:
      “-had he been present when I was almost fatally assaulted in 1908, whether he should have run away and seen me killed or whether he should have used his physical force which he could and wanted to use, and defended me, I told him that it was his duty to defend me even by using violence.”

It seems like that even the most saintly of individuals are just people in the end, and people are stupid from time to time. This would not mean that one should then denounce everything Gandhi said, but that one should take their word with by its actual value or the lack of it. Which in the case of Wolfenstein is the matter of killing Nazis.

• Sui42 says:

I think there’s a danger in painting the Nazis as an ‘ultimate evil’ to which, if you say you’re opposed to it, you automatically become ‘super good’ just to make yourself feel nice.

In 1943, up to four million Bengalis starved to death when Winston Churchill diverted food to British soldiers.

Churchill said: “I hate Indians. They are a beastly people with a beastly religion. The famine was their own fault for breeding like rabbits.”

Basically, never trust in a simplistic ‘greater good’. We all have the capacity for evil in us. The British empire was arguably just as bad as the Nazis (by some estimates, 20-30 million Indians died as the result of British policy). And we don’t really teach that in British schools.

Not saying any Nazi apologist bullshit. The Nazis were, and still are, completely despicable. But so are many things we do in the name of ‘capitalism’ and ‘the greater good’. The planet is dying because we don’t think about where our money goes. Millions starve every day, and people in the west, generally speaking, don’t really care, or we’d all give more money to charity.

There’s a danger in just thinking in simplistic terms. Everyhing bad about the world wears a swastika; if you don’t wear a swastika, you’re a good guy. It’s too simple.

That said, Wolfenstein itself does seem (strangely) to be treating the subject sensitively. I’m more referring to the whole ‘KILLING NAZIS IS COOL’ banter that seems to be popular now, when really, you just wanna shoot things in videogames and not really think about anything serious. By playing wolfenstein you are not making the world a better place. You’re just shooting digital men.

• Seafoam says:

Thinking in black and white is always bad, but I’m sure people are not thinking they “make a world a better place by shooting virtual men.”

The whole thing has been about asshats getting loudly pissy that a video game is about shooting Nazis, and people are against those asshats.

• batraz says:

Thinking in black and white can be the smart option, depending on the level of emergency; when nothing threatens you, colours are fine I guess. Relativism is a luxury product, let’s enjoy it as such.

• Chromatose says:

I’m a pretty unapologetic anti-fascist. And while you are absolutely right to point out that playing a videogame has no inherent ethical value, for people like me who see a frightening amount of explicitly racist and fascist sentiment brewing in the political climate just now, having a game that at least offers some means of catharsis in that regard is incredibly welcome.

Does it make me a better person? Absolutely not, but it sure makes me feel a little better.

• syndrome says:

Oh, and Sacha Baron Cohen!

• thekelvingreen says:

You can’t trust what Gandhi says. He always goes straight for the nukes.

4. LennyLeonardo says:

What’s wrong with John Fashanu?

5. DEspresso says:

Alt-Text is good, was expecting ‘You’ll have my Axe’.

6. SaintAn says:

Don’t forget to boycott unless you support paid mods and the destruction of creativity and PC gaming by corporations and traitors.

7. ResonanceCascade says:

I was going to hold off on this until I cleared out some backlog, but I might not last through the weekend without grabbing it. It looks very good.

8. noodlecake says:

It’s fun but I wouldn’t go anywhere near as far as Adam. The shocking or emotional parts of the game were so absurd that I wasn’t really touched by them at all. Some of them made me laugh because they were so ridiculous and over the top. The opening scene with the mum and step dad and dog was pretty hilarious. If that’s what they were going for then it’s genius, but I couldn’t tell if it was intentional or not.

I haven’t gotten very far though, and I am enjoying it.

9. montfalcon says:

Does anyone know off hand if the first one is reduced in any of the Halloween sales?

10. Herring says:

Wanted to resist. Failed. Finished it over the weekend.

It’s great fun, about 16 hours to finish; most of the side-quests not complete on the 2nd hardest available difficulty (a few sections took a few tries).

There’s definitely some “thinly” veiled nose-tweaks in there for people of a particular political persuasion in there like the H.L Mencken quote in a journal;

““As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.””

Comment on this story