Spintires: MudRunner splats out

A hundred Halloween horrors start this way: driving through the wilds, a vehicle becomes stuck and its driver faces a harrowing ordeal. Will they escape and live to see another dawn or will they be found in a shallow grave? A hundred Halloween horrors may start this way but few are nearly as tense and trying as Spintires: MudRunner, which launched overnight. It’s an expanded re-release of 2014’s fantastic driving-through-mud simulator Spintires, which comes fancied up a little but most importantly freed from the troubled relationship with previous publishers Oovee. MudRunner is a separate paid release, not a free upgrade, though Spintires owners do get a discount.

Like Spintires, MudRunner is a game of driving off-road vehicles over rough terrain, scrambling over rocks, ploughing through rivers, and getting stuck in wonderfully cruel dynamic mud. It’s… a tactile puzzle game? As our Adam said in his original Spintires review in 2014:

“In Spintires’ world, feats are measured by inches of control rather than miles per hour, and the terrain churns and deforms as vehicles traverse it. It’s a game in which overapplication of the throttle can doom the driver. It’s verbs are not overtake, drift and vroom, but churn, grind and calculate. The latter is perhaps the most important. For all of that it is made of mess and mud, Spintires is a game of precision and care. To traverse the changing angles of the roughest terrain, every nudge of wheel and pedal must be perfectly timed and measured.”

MudRunner improves on that with a little prettying-up, a new challenge mode, new vehicles, a new UI, camera tweaks, a new sandbox map, and other odds and ends.

Why is this a re-release rather than an update? Because the game has changed hands. Creator Pavel Zagrebelny and publishers Oovee had a deeply troubled relationship, with years of open hostility and suspicion which even led to the game eventually being pulled from sale. Much like any truck I’m driving, updates stalled. Getting Spintires away from that is good, raising hopes for future additions. Zagrebelny is now working on it with Saber Interactive, while Focus Home Interactive have taken over publishing. And this also sees the game arrive on consoles.

Spintires: MudRunner is out now for £24.99/€29.99/$29.99 on Steam. People who own the original Spintires get a 50% discount on MudRunner. It’s not the biggest re-release discount I’ve seen nor is it the smallest.

1. jellydonut says:

Spintires is lovely but I can’t say I’m a fan of re-releasing the same game.

• Buuurr says:

Ditto. Not a fan of being expected to buy what I already bought.

• Kurshuk says:

Well, I was going to say the same thing, but upon further review I already bought it. Oh well, happy to support this pretty unique product. There is not a lot of offroad content in driving games and what is there tends to be more like rally, games like 1NSANE. So I’m pretty content giving them some more cash, maybe there will be a spintires 2 for it some day.

• Siimon says:

1NSANE was such a great LAN party game!

• April March says:

Yeah, I feel the same – namely, that I don’t like paying for something I’ve already paid for, but that for this one I’m making an exception. It’s a tax to get read of Oovee, and one I’ll gladly pay.

2. Zanchito says:

Game was rather boring solo, but playing co-op, it REALLY shined. Fondly remember a 40 minute truck rescue. Trucks are social creatures.

3. jezcentral says:

This isn’t the first time I’ve clicked on an RPS story where the headline has made me think it is about a game being cancelled.

4. N'Al says:

Appropriate trailer music.

5. TotallyUseless says:

In Soviet Russia, mud rolls over you.

Neurotic says:

Glad to hear Pawel got away from those Oovee morons finally. Sto lat, Spintires!

7. Boozie says:

Before one gets excited about the ‘camera tweaks’ and think
    it is improved much, go check the Steam discussions on that aspect.

I can get the game for 14 bucks but after viewing the discussions
    on the new version I will just say now and wait six to 9 months
    for it to be patched and mod support to fix the things they failed
    to truely improve. By then it will sell for 50 percent off or more anyway.

• KastaRules says:

• leberadanek says:

Well, why you wait six to nine months, I will be continuing to enjoy this game with my mates getting stuck, getting towed and getting refueled in transit. Really enjoying this game at the moment. Needs a few tweaks to multiplayer, a couple of the “nice to haves” would be seeing the other players headlights when they are on and maybe using each others vehicle (so if you get stuck someone else can have a go getting it out) but other than that the multiplayer is good fun!

8. racccoon says:

Incredible work by these devs, hopefully their skills are noted by their passion of mud.

Comment on this story