The Surge is getting some creepy theme park DLC

Confidence is a preference for the habitual voyeur of what is known as...

Sci-fi robojaunt The Surge was a bit of a shonky soulslike but it got a couple of things perfect: a liberal sprinkling of clever shortcuts and a dogged refusal to add fast travel. Less impressive were the environments themselves. Factories and junkyards and labs that felt too plain for the daft zombie mechsuit world they were housed within. Well, it’s getting a much more colourful new area in some upcoming DLC – a creepy theme park filled with enraged robotic mascots and, I’m guessing, some disgruntled rollercoasters.

The expansion is called A Walk In The Park (good work) and is out “early December”, say developers Deck 13. It’s going to be “more open” than the twisting metal corridors of the main game’s CREO complex, they say.

“Originally built to celebrate CREO and its mission, the park is a radically different setting from the rest of the complex, full of branching paths and secrets to discover.

Survive the raging mascots and explore the park’s attractions, before taking on a fearsome boss in the devastated park. Through technical and spectacular fights, you will face this new threat, cutting and equipping 16 all-new weapons, sets of armor, and implants to upgrade and further customize the way you want to play.”

And morning soup can be avoided if you take a route straight through what is known as...

I’d forgotten that I wrote our The Surge review, which might tell you how I really feel about this Souls wannabe. But I did finally remember being surprised at how much I enjoyed finding my way around its hanging walkways and maze-like ventilation shafts, even if the game often made you fight robo-zombies inside their narrow confines, getting awkwardly close to the camera. A spooky, malfunctioning theme park isn’t exactly an original premise but at least it brings a bit of colour to this rusty world.

1. rabidwombat says:

I’d never played a souls-like before, including any of the Souls games (obv), but I really enjoyed this one. Played it through to the last level, got a bit stuck and then something else caught my fancy. But it was good, I’d say.

2. Addie says:

The main problem I had with the game was that it becomes incredibly hard after a while – I managed to get past the third boss, the one with the deck full of lasers, but the area after that was just demented. I love me a Souls-like (have finished all three Dark Souls at SL1) but just couldn’t get to the end of this one. And there was quite a lot to like about it at the start, too – the flexible build system where you can wear / wield anything that adds up to your current power level would, in theory, save shooting yourself in the foot with a dodgy build.

I bounced off of Deck 13’s previous one, Lords of the Fallen initially, until I’d found a forum thread that suggests that the game’s only really balanced for the tank-y warrior, and trying to play as a rogue is a recipe for misery – it’s fairly easy to finish with big weapons and heavy armour. Some similar threads suggest that there’s some very specific builds that make The Surge a lot more survivable as well, which I’ll need to look into and then try and get back to.

phuzz says:

Always nice to see someone taking full advantage of the alt-text.

4. Ghostwise says:

It *is* a good expansion title, I’ll admit.

5. Severran says:

I really enjoyed this game, but I got all the way to the final boss and decided to backtrack in case I’d missed some items/upgrades. Could never figure out how to get back to the ending :(
    Fun game, but the maps are all the same.

6. fish99 says:

I bought this last week, but haven’t gotten round to trying it yet. Reason I bought it – it was £12 (PS4). I feel like the game will sell on PC when it hits the right price point, which isn’t £40.

7. bl4ckrider says:

I liked it. Never finished any Souls game, but in this one I got to the final boss, watched someone do it on youtube, decided that I didn’t feel like investing the time just to get to the ending and uninstalled (it was one of those “one hit can kill you” bosses with a health bar a mile long).
    But I might get back into the DLC.

Comment on this story