Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds delays climbing & vaulting test

Well, heck. Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds has delayed the first public test its new climbing and vaulting system, which was due to start this week. I had even ordered new headphones especially for intense nights of parkour around Pochinki. Plunkbat’s developers don’t say when we’ll get to flip out, only that the test servers aren’t quite stable enough for long stretches of testing (and presumably they’ll be in high demand too). This is a shame, as I’ve been so eager for more agility in this wonderful (and wonderfully daft) game. But hey, the devs did say the other day that Plunkbat is still on course to leave early access in late December. Fingers crossed this doesn’t delay that.

“When the test servers are deployed, we will be running them for a long time and it’s crucial that they operate in a stable environment,” the Plunkgang tweeted today. “Therefore we feel that we have to delay the first test schedule for PC 1.0 to allow for a smooth testing of the new features and content,” they continued.

Updates usually hit the test servers on Wednesdays so I suppose I should’ve known by now that something was up, but heck. How long is the delay? When will be get to start leaping around? They don’t say.

“We are doing our best to resolve the issue quickly and we will announce the schedules once it’s resolved,” they conclude. “Thank you for your understanding.”

Along with the new desert map, the climbing & vaulting system is one of the final big features due to be added before the game launches. Performance optimisations and stability fixes are promised too, mind.

Dang, I want this. Plunkbat’s crouch-jumping trick can achieve similar results as vaulting, and I’ve gotten pretty good at it, but this feels a little too exploit-y to me when many players evidently don’t even know it’s possible. Official vaulting will level the playing field and I’ll be happier scoring my acrobatic murders with good old-fashioned guile and face-shooting. And it looks way cool. Here’s that old video again:

1. Massenstein says:

Glad you’re back, Alice! The Plunkbat news didn’t make any sense while you were gone.

2. Viral Frog says:

“Plunkbat’s crouch-jumping trick can achieve similar results as vaulting, and I’ve gotten pretty good at it, but this feels a little too exploit-y to me when many players evidently don’t even know it’s possible”

It kind of blows my mind how many people don’t know about crouch jumping. Crouch jumping has been in so many FPS games I can’t even remember all of them anymore. Anyone that’s ever played CS should know the first thing you should test in an online FPS is crouch jumping.

• CMaster says:

If you “test” it, like you would for any HL series game, you’ll conclude that Plunkbat doesn’t have crouch jumping.

It turns out that actually it does, but in a way that feels like a bug. In HL and similar games, you jump, then crouch to pull your feet up. In PUBG, you have to crouch and jump at exactly the same time, and the animation and body position gui will glitch a bit, and you’ll miraculously get over things.

• Viral Frog says:

I’ve always crouch jumped the way I do in Plunkbat in other games and gotten the same results. I was under the assumption that you had to do both at the same time in all the other games as well. I didn’t realize crouch jumping in source games could be done another way (as you mentioned).

• CMaster says:

Even if you were always trying to do it at the same time (you can’t get away with just any time in Source etc games, it has to be fairly early in the jump) the point is there is much, much more margin for error. Even trying to do at the exact same time in pung, you’re gonna screw it up fairly often. Timing window seems to be milliseconds – maybe within the same frame?

• Alice O'Connor says:

Mm, especially as you can walk through windows without breaking them. It just feels not-right.

• eldragon0 says:

I see this topic brought up so much and this page on the front so often, that I feel this is a good place to bring it up. You know we’re getting a completely revamped and re-made ballistics system with this patch too right? No one seems to bring it up, but that’s kind of huge.

• CMaster says:

Bullet pen of things other than doors could be huge. Like, in principle, fences, window bars, etc etc might make much less of a difference, and you could sometimes get people who you know where they are by firing through. Would also (maybe?) give higher cal weapons more of a use.

• Viral Frog says:

I noticed that with the windows and I agree 100%. It doesn’t feel right that you can crouch jump yourself through unbroken windows.

As for eldragon0’s comment, I had no idea there was a new ballistics system coming. I did some digging and found that it’s confirmed they will be changing ballistics to improve projectile travel time, penetration on different textures, and fix bulletproof water.

And the crouch jump is actually a bug. It seemed deliberate to me, but they (Plunkbat Corp) specifically called it out for allowing you to crouch jump through windows being completely unintended. Huh.

link to segmentnext.com

They linked to a reddit thread as source for these. I wonder how something as major as ballistics revamp seemed to fly under the radar, as this is the first time I’ve heard of it.

PS: Welcome back, Alice! All these other authors were writing about some weird Plunkbat ripoff called PUBG. It was strange and frightening.

• eldragon0 says:

Yep, I got it verified by some one (awesome source) during one of the dev live streams some months ago, that the ballistics system would be changing basically everything about how the projectiles interact with the world, and with travel. Bullet speed being affected by drag, ricochets off metal etc. They will be giving bullets actual entities opposed to being a hard coded projectile that’s only affected by the simulated gravity that they gave the world. I’ve been more excited for this more than anything else (beside 1pp )

• benkc says:

IIRC, the jump-then-crouch was in fact necessary to complete parts of the Half-life 1 single player, including the tutorial.

So was the long jump (crouch-then-jump?) which I found much harder to pull off.

3. Splyce says:

Real question: What’s going to be the big deal between now and the game ‘leaving’ early access? Is there thoughts that the player base will expand even more, or that the game will have all its bugs ironed out or something? The Early Access distinction is getting blurrier and blurrier the more profitable they become before being finished.

• Viral Frog says:

From what I can find, Plunkbat Corp states that the full release will be feature complete, have a new map, new ballistics system, and a vast slew of bug fixes and optimizations. None of these features are coming to the EA builds before release, only the test server builds. So what we have now is what we will have until EA is done.

4. Verenath says:

It’s referred to has Pubg, pubg, PUBG, pubgizzle but not plunkbat, lame ass site.

• Rindan says:

That’s what my gaming group calls it too actually. Plunkbat rolls off the tongue way better.

I do love that every time there is a plunkbat story, there is one of you. I’d be fascinated to know what drives a man to care so hard about the nickname a website uses for a game.

• jpotts06 says:

I have 400 hours on this game and I’ve literally NEVER heard anyone call it PLUNKBAT. That clunky moniker rolls of the tognue about as easy as supercalafragalisticexpialidocious. It’s PUBG you noobs. Also, spell check your article before you post it.

5. Quinn says:

Now the use of plug-in cheating has been crazy!!! My teammates and I have given up the game, and solving this problem is the first priority, otherwise the game will cease to exist

6. ShadowF68 says:

Plunkbat?!?!?! Live with your self troll!!!!

7. keafledger says:

Alright I registered to this lame fucking sight just to say its PUBG not plunkbat…. no one says plunkbat and if you do it’s cause you’ve never actually played the game.. pfft plunkbat.. wtf is this world coming to.

Comment on this story