Hearthstone: Kobolds & Catacombs expansion coming in December

Blizzard, this isn’t right. Fighting dinosaurs, liches, crime syndicates, and old gods is fine, but now you’re going too far. Blizzard today announced Kobolds & Catacombs, a new Hearthstone expansion that send merciless card-collectors down to beat up on those lovely little creatures who only want a stub candle and maybe a little gold. Appalling. Coming in December, the expansion will bring 135 new cards and a new singleplayer dungeon crawl mode. But look at these sweethearts and tell me you’d kick ’em for a few measly gems:

Kobolds & Catacombs is going underground (going underground) to plunder. Expect nine new class legendary weapons, a new ‘Recruit’ keyword on cards that will pull minions out your deck and into play, Spell Stone cards that become more powerful if you can meet certain conditions while holding them in your hand, and ‘Unidentified’ cards which have random bonuses.

Blizzard are already showing off some of the new cards but most are still under wraps.

Dungeon Runs mode sounds neat too. Blizzard explain:

“Players start with a novice deck from their class of choice and face a series of progressively stronger foes, randomly selected from a huge pool of unique bosses. As they progress, they’ll bolster their decks with cards looted from defeated bosses, including some immensely powerful treasures exclusive to Dungeon Runs. Heroes should plunder with caution, however, because losing a single battle will spell the end of their Dungeon Run.”

December it is. But remember: a kobold is for life, not just for Christmas.

1. Carra says:

Better start saving that precious gold so I can buy a few packs.

• AngoraFish says:

I’m, up to about 1k in gold already.

I stop buying packs of the current expansion when 3 out of 4 packs are dropping all dupes and I’m effectively just rolling for legendaries at that point.

• Scott says:

Precisely my reasoning too. I pre-purchased the Frozen Throne expansion for the first time, and had that exact experience of encountering duplicate after duplicate.

You get standard packs from the Brawls, and I figure it’s fine just to use gold to buy packs from the latest expansion. Seem to do alright.

2. zulnam says:

Or, OR.

You could stop doing more card game crap and focus on vanilla Wow.

Lol jk. Milk that cow, baby! Hey, if i get vanilla wow after that i ain’t even mad.

• rargphlam says:

They also announced WoW Classic servers, essentially vanilla with certain QoL improvements.

• SaintAn says:

They never said anything other than it will be vanilla. They didn’t say anything about the dumbing down qol stuff, and that would defeat the purpose of having a vanilla server.

3. malkav11 says:

So far the singleplayer content for Hearthstone has basically been an expensive way to get some fixed cards for PvP, as far as I can tell. Particularly given that they’re rotating them out just because the cards won’t be legal in standard play anymore, nevermind whether someone might want to play them who didn’t happen to be playing at the time. So actual meaningful singleplayer content -would- be welcome. The biggest question I have is what the pricing model will look like. The fact that you get cards from it suggests to me it might be a pay-per-play thing like Arena, and since I’m not prepared to spend real money or grind PvP for gold, it would then be useless.

4. Lord of Beer says:

This game died when they got rid of adventures. The PVE content was decent, and the trickle of expansions cards each week for five weeks added a little variety. Those were killed I’m sure in a financial decision to maximise revenue from card releases, compared to the comparatively great value of the adventures. All that is left now is a dull grind if you’re interested in the game, and the silly daily quests (play 10 murlocs! Winning the round is irrelevant!) if you just want gold.

5. drewski says:

This is the first expansion since I quit HS and I was expecting at least some desire to jump back in, but I don’t, which is a relief.

Comment on this story