Nioh’s PC launch trailer is dense with demons & praise

Nioh

While the release of Team Ninja’s samurai Souls-like Nioh is still a couple days off yet (due this Tuesday, November 7th), the PC launch trailer hopes to impress upon you that the game was very well received by the press on consoles, as dense with effusive praise as it is with angry demons.

It might read a little like that overly enthusiastic Batman: Arkham City GOTY box, but having played a fair chunk of it on PS4, I can’t can’t say they’re wrong.

Renting the original version of Nioh for PS4, I was more than pleasantly surprised with the half or so of the main story I played. While I was initially attracted by the Dark Souls’ish look of the game, it unfolded into something quite different. Once fully up to speed, Nioh plays like an aggressively paced hybrid of Souls, Ninja Gaiden and Capcom’s Onimusha series with a Borderlands-esque predilection for loot-hoarding and constantly growing stats. This is an action game first and foremost, with a brawler’s sense of energy and forward motion, and a practised player can barrel through demons by the dozens.

The Complete Edition of the game (and the only version on PC) comes bundled with the relatively substantial expansion, which I’ve been told wraps up the story (as well as the Sengoku Jidai period as a whole, for the history buffs) conclusively, as well as bulking out the amount of loot, bosses and playmodes you’ll have to chew through on any given playthrough. You’re looking at a good thirty hours of hacky-slashiness at bare minimum, and easily double that if you plan on doing all the side-quests, which often significantly remix enemy placements and objectives.

Beyond that, the PC version – being a Steam exclusive – comes with a silly samurai helmet with a steam-valve on it. If you find yourself attached to this, you’ll be happy to hear that the crafting system of the game allows you to easily transfer one item’s skin to another, so you can look like a weird steampunk samurai dork without sacrificing those all-important stats.

The system requirements as listed on Steam seem quite reasonable as well, with the recommended GPU for the game once again being the GTX 1060, which seems to have secured itself a place as the go-to card for 1080p/60fps console ports without breaking the bank. Although I do worry about that 80gb HDD requirement, if only for the time it’ll take to download. Here’s hoping they allow pre-loading.

Onimusha: Complete Edition is due out on November 7th, priced at £40. You can keep an eye on its release via its Steam page here.

1. chaos4u says:

Surprised there is no mention of the lack of mouse support in this game . i would have thought RPS would have at least mentioned this in the article.

• LTK says:

You can’t use a mouse? Like, at all?

Wow. That’s an easy pass.

• Dominic Tarason says:

I can’t even imagine playing the game with a mouse. The combat engine is much more complex than the Souls games. You get more moves just for starters, and then each weapon has multiple stances on top of that.

I know it’s a third-person action game, but I honestly can’t see Nioh working any better with a mouse than I could Street Fighter.

I consider a 360 controller absolutely bare minimum if you want to play games on the PC nowadays. Personally, I use a PS4 pad and DS4Windows.

• Cerulean Shaman says:

Agreed. I’ll be using my Steam Controller but the moment I saw it on steam I knew it’d be playing it with a controller. Granted the option should still be there for anyone who wants to immediately make sure of how bad an idea it is, but really it’s a game that needs to be played with a controller.

Just my opinion of course, but hey it SHOULD be mention that way people are in the know.

• LTK says:

People have been saying that about Dark Souls too and I, having two left thumbs, have absolutely no issues playing it that way. I’ve seen the game in action and the way the stance system controls seems like it can very easily be controlled the way every other radial menu works in console ports: hold down a button and move the mouse.

• AyeBraine says:

I don’t have a controller, I don’t use a controller, and I’m not planning on buying a controller (although it seems interesting to buy one and try some games I don’t play because they’re best played with a controller).

Thing is, a large number of people never got the message about how controllers are great, and never overcame the opinion that they’re shit (which they are, in FPS games).

I realize that controllers are great, but I don’t own one and am not going to buy one just because some game says I should.

• TimePointFive says:

• EwokThisWay says:

“never overcame the opinion that they’re shit (which they are, in FPS games).”

They are absolute shit for FPS games, true. But that’s all. Your generalization is based on nothing.

For me, 3rd person is controller, 1st person is mouse and keyboard, period.

• aepervius says:

Controller have not become essential in PC gaming, they have are a better controlling device for *some* games. But even for games where they are touted as esential, sometimes they are not. Dark soul I have played up to my fill on PC with mouse. Many action game like “tales of” I play with mouse, I am in a playthrough of tales of berseria right now. There are very few game where controller are esential. A good control scheme can be as good as a controller for soul like games, as long as you are more used to that type of control than you are of a controller. In my case controller give me hand pain. I have tried all sort of them, xbox, ps4, logitech. So yes keyboard will be far far more comfortable.

But the question is : DID the company give any thought about playing without mouse or just did not care ? That is essential. Because most of the game I found where people said it was essential to have a controller, were mostly because either the control scheme was stupid (e.g. multiple function to the E key) or not rebindable at will. In other word if you make M/K SHIT by giving no thought at all, then the other control scheme will look better. Imagine if the key for controller were not rebindable and stupidly laid out , everybody would say soul game would be better with MK but that would not be *intrinsicly* better it would be just because the company did not give any thought into the controlling scheme.

That is the problem with most port today : lip service to M/K and assume controller will be used. That may seem to be the case here. Well fine, no buy from me.

• Caiman says:

Using a mouse and keyboard for this kind of game is like using a mouse and keyboard to play a first person driving game: it should be an option, but if you really want to appreciate it as intended you need to use a steering wheel.

• Sian says:

But if you can’t even imagine playing this game with a mouse, isn’t that worth a mention?

Personally, and without any experience playing Nioh, I think the more complex a game’s controls, the more it lends itself to m/k. I can’t imagine a stance system not making sense on a keyboard. From other comments I garner that it’s a radial menu – not only is that easily translated onto a mouse (we’ve been doing that for years after all), but I’d guess you could have keyboard shortcuts to make stance selection even more of a breeze.

I’m not against controllers. I use a DS4 myself, actually, for a select few games. But if I can use m/k, I do that because that’s what I grew up with, what I’m most comfortable with. Games where that isn’t possible at all are very, very rare and so should be mentioned, I think.

And because it’s my personal crusade: If devs do decide to enable m/k they better damn well include mouse-controlled menus and easy and plentiful rebinding options. Anything less than that is lazy and it would’ve been better not to include m/k in the first place (and tell us about it) rather than doing it in a shoddy manner.

• PancakeWizard says:

Hear, hear. This whole last-stand of people who refuse to use anything but M+KB baffles me. The gamepad is a legitimate peripheral in a PC gamer’s arsenal. It’s like no one remembers the days when certain flight games required a joystick. As in: “No, you can’t play X-wing vs. TIE fighter – no joystick detected.”

• Kohlrabi says:

Probably because playing console ARPG’s with M+K is like eating soup with a fork. You can do it, but it’s no fun and awkward. People who are seriously interested in the game will have a controller, anyway.

• b00p says:

that’s weird bc im seriously interested and can’t imagine playing the souls games with a controller. analog look alone is infuriating for me. i have no interest in who’s more hardcore arguments, but i 100%ed all of them without any summoning (except the duel cat fight in frozen wastes in ds2 cuz fuuuuck that) and enjoyed every minute immensely, in case you’re looking for ‘credentials’.

i wish souls fans would chill on the ‘serious fans only use controllers’ tip, bc it put me off from trying them for years since i find controllers painful for my hands and annoying in general if it’s not a platformer or fighting game, and i was really missing out, and i’m sure i’m not alone in this. the souls games are not only playable but fun and great no matter if you’re using a controller or a damn DDR pad.

• LTK says:

I have a controller, only I’m absolute shit at controlling any game that has a 3D camera with it. I only use it for 2D platformers.

• Chalky says:

People who are seriously interested in the game probably won’t be learning about it from this review though, so mentioning things that a casual reader needs to know seems important.

• Tuidjy says:

No mouse, no purchase from me. Thank you for bringing it to my attention, and shame on RPS for omitting it.

2. klops says:

That’s a fine looking demon on that picture!

3. Matys says:

Provided stable PC optimization this game looks like it was made for me. We’re pretty hard up for DMCish slashers with much longevity. Super hyped to see Bayonetta and more like it coming our way, took years! Gonna check some reviews but looks like a day one for me.

• Dominic Tarason says:

It’s definitely heavier and slower-moving than DMC or Bayonetta, but it had some of that fast-slashing brutality of Ninja Gaiden.

It’s an odd blend of elements. The overall game structure is like a more mission-oriented Souls, but the combat, once you’ve levelled up a bit, is very much its own thing.

4. Ureshi says:

Onimusha: Complete Edition!!?? XD

5. shaydeeadi says:

Ninja Gaiden infused with Dark Souls, starring a Poundland Geralt is something I never knew I wanted until tonight. Looks amazing.

6. Angel Dust says:

I was pretty disappointed by this. The combat system is very good but everything else comes off poorly when you make the inevitable comparison to the Souls series. Level design is flat, linear and everything looks the same plus each level is a discrete ‘mission’ chunk and these are often repeated multiple times for the side missions. Monster variation is extremely limited and the levels are mostly populated by the same 3 monster types with slight tweaks. Loot is in the style of a Diablo-like RPG which is one I personally don’t care for. The story, while potentially interested, is awfully told through a mix of sporadic cutscenes, mission text and unlockable codex entries.

Not a terrible game by any means but if you’re interested in it because of the Souls comparisons and you liked the Souls games for world building, level and enemy design etc then be warned.

• Maxheadroom says:

I do like me a good SoulsBorne game but (save maybe for Salt and Sanctuary) no one else can get it quite right.

It was the loot that killed it for me here, theres just too much of it! Even trash mobs explode in a shower of weapons and armor and within an hour your have hundreds of different pieces, dozens of which will have the same name and colour (ie purple) but wildly different stats and it quickly becomes unmanageable to keep track.

7. Serenegoose says:

Nioh is an odd one, because, and I don’t know how it does it, it’s a PS2 game. I didn’t even know you could distil ‘ps2’ into something with so distinct a mental imprint, but I played it on the ps4 and the whole time that’s what I was thinking.

I had fun with it, fun enough I’m considering getting it on PC (I didn’t play it on my ps4, since I don’t have one, so it’d be nice to get a chance to play it on my own time and finish it) but it’s definitely, somehow, a ps2 game.

8. Zerpherion says:

“And absolutely no one cares. A gamepad has been an essential part of PC gaming for about a decade now, and you’re the only one missing out.”

Gamepad being essential? LOL Keyboard and Mouse since Quake 1, Blood, and Heritic.

• shaydeeadi says:

Good for you, I was incensed when I couldn’t play Wolf3D enjoyably on my joystick back when I was 8 and had to lower myself to using a keyboard to play. The times they are a changin.

Also, it’s Heretic.

9. PancakeWizard says:

How ‘Souls’ are we talking here? I love the idea of the Souls games, but don’t play them as I have no interest in things being that much of an uphill struggle. Is it closer to standard hack and slash affair or am I going to be one-hit dying all the time? I can easily make my way through God of War, Darksiders etc. I got nowhere in Demons’ Souls.

10. DanMan says:

80GB? Gosh darnit! Anyone remember 64GB SSDs?

11. haldolium says:

“if only for the time it’ll take to download. Here’s hoping they allow pre-loading.”

I found that the larger a game, the worse gets pre-loading. Not only does it need roughly twice the space for whatever its doing when it actually gets released, but decryption often takes unreasonable long too, even on an SSD.

Comment on this story