Brigador All Saints update adds horns and more

brigador

My Fiat Punto might not be an armoured, rocket launcher wielding machine of death, mayhem and destruction – but it was unambiguously superior to the vehicles from isometric mech game Brigador in one key respect. Before the latest Brigador update, only my Fiat was capable of alerting everyone nearby to my presence/annoyance with an obnoxious beeping sound. That’s all changed with the the All Saints update, so naturally I’ll be swapping it for an armoured mech as soon as they become road legal in the real world.

Click on through for the honk-packed trailer.

The update also adds 5 new missions, 5 new characters and a bunch of balance tweaks. You can read the full patch notes here.

As for those horns, they go beyond mere fun and into the much more grown-up world of functionality. According to the devs, “the horns are long in the making, designed to fit a specific combat purpose; controlling when sound and when/where you aggro enemy units in Brigador is very important, and so horns allow you to do that in a controlled way without firing your weapons”. I haven’t played any of the game, so can’t comment on how useful they’ll be in practice. I’m just sat here having flashbacks to all the times my friends have got me killed by abusing the (totally pointless) horn button that was introduced to Plunkbat back in August.

Here’s what Alec had to say in his review:

Make no mistake, Brigador is a toybox first and foremost – assemble your dream mech or deathtank, take it out for a spin in Bladerunnerville, trash everything, have a bloody great fight. A few UI frustrations can’t take away the innate pleasure of that, especially when it looks so delightfully, tangibly model-like too. It’s not Mechwarrior, no, but it scratches pretty much every other mech itch going, and with style.

If you need to scratch that itch, the game is on sale for the week of November 6th. There’s a 30% discount for the base edition of the game, dropping the price down to £10.49/$13.99.

Brigador is available on Steam, Humble, Itch.io, and GoG.

Oh, and for the record – that Fiat Punto was a fictional construct I made up for the intro. I can’t even drive.

1. MrUnimport says:

If anyone picks it up, I’d like to remind them to poke around in the settings and try out the alternative control scheme (tank controls!) for finer control over your vehicle. Also you can crank up the game speed to get the experience as originally intended.

Neurotic says:

I wish all Fiat Puntos were fictional constructs, tbh.

3. DasBilligeAlien says:

Friggin love that game. Random Internet Person Recomendation.

Grizzly says:

This game is super rad, and the steady stream of updates does mean it becomes even more rad every day.

Play brigador!

5. automatic says:

I bought it on sale but it didn’t run on my system due to an annoying Windows library requirement that wouldn’t install. I’d love to try it sometime even though I think it needs more scenery variation besides fictional corrupt latin countries. Maybe some oil pumps on a Texan desert, a snowy Russian capital city, some Greek islands. The world is so big and there’s so many fictional corrupt governments to overthrow with mercenary raw firepower aid it’s a shame to stay on the tropical bread and butter only.

BTW, loved the sutile Fiat merchandising.

• wcq says:

I wouldn’t mind more diverse environments, but the game doesn’t take place on Earth.

It’s a cyberpunk banana republic… in space!

• automatic says:

More diversity is good. I wouldn’t mind blowing up cyberpunk oil overlords in space, cyberpunk ex-KGB Illuminatti wannabes in space or the cyberpunk 1% vacation isle on space either. Isn’t it a mercenary role you play after all?

• MrUnimport says:

The conceit is that you’re a defector from the planetary regime or the local resistance. By accepting the contract to become a Brigador, you’re agreeing to sabotage local defenses and murder your way through the city in hopes of getting a ticket offworld.

• automatic says:

That may fit other scenarios aswell. Every tyranny has it’s counterparts – whoever is selling the ticket for a better world, wichever it may be. And the mercenary role is buying the ticket.

6. haradaya says:

I haven’t loved a game universe as much as I do Brigador’s, since MechWarrior 3.
    It’s not an easy game to get into, but if you love clunky death machines it is well worth spending the hours it takes. Don’t forget to read the flavor texts, as that’s where all the world-building is.

• automatic says:

I managed to play it a little bit yesterday and I really don’t any resemblances with MW3 besides the fact you can stomp little people with giant mechs. The story is pretty bland. Nowhere near the plot depth, complexity and with all the twists, conflicts and nuances from MW3. MW3 is not Shakespeare, but has a pretty good story development for a game.

I have to say this because I saw a lot of people telling how Brigador’s plot is great and all and, unless, as it seems, it’s on some other product besides the game itself, I don’t see any of that. Whoever wrote this story seems to have done it on Fidel Castro’s dying bed with a grudge on the Cold War. All pc characters are exchangeable voiceless illustrations and npc characters, if you can call them that, are nothing more than objectives to destroy. It doesn’t feels like you’re “liberating” people, just bulldozing a country. I feel it’s a great game, mind you. It has very detailed graphics and the mechanics are pretty solid. The game is gorgeous overall. But the plot is just a filler.

• haradaya says:

Well the story ties into the gameplay and that’s it. Wasn’t comparing its’ plot with MW3. Just its’ universe. They’ve nerded out with the descriptions, explaining away design choices of the vehicles and weapons. It’s the same kind of nerding that made me love MW3 back in the day, everything was sci-fi, but it was believable sci-fi.

7. Caiman says:

Really enjoyed Brigador… up to a certain point where I hit a brick wall with a mission and couldn’t make a dent in it whichever vehicle I tried. I hate it when that happens.

8. tanith says:

It’s a really great game. I wish it would have gotten more attention, I really do. I wonder how the developer is doing. Last thing I read (it was an interview somewhere) is that he kinda regrets making this game since he made everything from scratch, they even built the engine. And the game is a lot better for it than if they have used an already existing engine. I hope it made him a bit more money.

9. mikepp says:

I love the game and it’s lore. Worth a try for anyone interested in any aspect of it tbh!

Slightly off topic but I really tried to enjoy the audio book but struggled with it. The game’s writing is fantastic, and the narrator they got is a great VA, but for some reason the combination of the two in audio book format does not work for me, I literally couldn’t follow from one sentence to the next without losing focus.

10. poliovaccine says:

I’ve just gotta say, I have always been super amused by the British version of the onomatopoetic car horn sound – where in the States we just say “honk honk,” I see Brits using “parp parp,” which I fucking love haha, I mean to me that’s just obviously better.

I’ve always loved that stuff, comes from reading comics and folksy-sounding authors like Mark Twain and Stephen King as a kid. My all time favorite is the way Calvin & Hobbes spells the sound of blowing a raspberry: thbbbbpt! With just the right amount of spittle haha.

11. Velthaertirden says:

Whenever I read Brigador I am reminded of Brigadoom a.k.a. the best musical episode in the history of tv series

Comment on this story