LawBreakers breaks free of its price tag for a free weekend

08lawbreakers

Good news everyone, I’ve found my jetpacks! They were hiding in LawBreakers all along, and there’s a free weekend that might be just what I need after my so-so experience with CoD WW2’s multiplayer. I played a little bit of LawBreakers when it launched, and while I didn’t have enough room on my plate for another multiplayer shooter at the time, the game’s aerial bullet ballets made me wish that I did.

It’s the first free-weekend since October’s All-Star update. That added a whole heap of gravity defying features, including a new map, balance changes and the addition of competitive play. I like that only your win/loss ratio is taken into account in determining your rank, which encourages everyone to play as a team and actually go for the objectives. That might not be of much interest if you’re hopping in for the first time – though you might want to check out the newly added tutorial. All the additions are detailed in the patch notes, or you can watch this handy summary video.

Those balance changes include a buff to my favourite character, Wraith, so I’m tempted to swing back in. There have been other improvements since I tried it back in August when it launched, including an increase to every character’s health pool across the board. When I reviewed CoD WW2’s multiplayer, I talked about how I like my gunplay to feel like a dance. Lawbreakers, with its emphasis on mobility and varied skillsets, offers a far better dance floor/wall/ceiling. Turns out dancing is more fun when your boots aren’t stuck to the ground, and larger health pools should allow that dance to develop in a way that it just can’t when everyone dies in a second or less.

If you’re still on the fence, here’s what Sam said in his review:

… when two teams clash there’s fireworks, with abilities flying everywhere. Admittedly these indoor fights are not as flashy as the aerial ones outside, but they’re still impressive. Guns are punchy, movement is responsive and animations are slick. And because of the small team size you can have a real impact: a well placed EMP from the Enforcer can really halt an enemy push, for example.

You can play the game for free on Steam until 9pm UTC on Sunday, and grab if for a 50% discount (£12.49/$14.99/€14.99) until 6pm on Tuesday.

1. Sohbet says:

<a href="sohbetguzel.net" rel="dofollow

2. Jalan says:

Shouldn’t be too long now before the announcement of the game going F2P at this point, since no amount of additional free weekends are going to save it.

3. Axolotl says:

They’ve been desperately trying to save this stillborn game since its release. A shame that they don’t stand a chance, since it looks nice.

4. LearningToSmile says:

It’s a good game, well worth checking out. Steep learning curve, but everyone should be able to find at least one character they feel comfortable on. Wouldn’t buy it though, not with those player numbers(a bit of self-fulfilling prophecy, eh).

particlese says:

I would even argue it’s worth the current $15 pricetag, given a handful of caveats, but it’s definitely going to be more fun for the vast majority of folks whenever the free periods pop up, mostly since the chances of getting even matches should be better.

For my part, even on the pop<=50 nights these past few weeks (8pm-ish CET), I've been having loads of fun dancing around the place (as Matt aptly puts it, and barring all those times I careen into the wall), and most of the folks who stick around are pretty civil to others. If I didn't already have it and somehow know I'd have as much fun as I currently do, I'd definitely pick it up. But that's me. And a rather unlikely scenario…

In general, I definitely agree that it's worth checking it out and giving it a good try on these free weekends.

• wackazoa says:

My biggest issue with the game is that since Im new to keyboard controls (grew up with consoles) I struggle to move as I should. Everyone is whipping around and Im struggling not to hit Tab or Caps lock. Just get killed so much. But it is very fun.

Also yeah, don’t want to pay for something that is gonna be abandoned in 3 months. But $15 for a bit of fun for a few months doesn’t sound horrible.

• April March says:

That happened to me when I moved from consoles as well. My advice is: fuck left shift. Fuck it HARD. I don’t know what sort of person thinks left shift is a good placement for a button you’ll often press when your fingers are in WASD, but it is not. Mess with it until you find something that makes it comfortable. I bound whatever was on left shift to caps lock for a long time. These days I use a gaming mouse solely for the side buttons; makes FPS a beauty to play. Some people like using ESDF instead of WASD, see if it works for you! One of the best things about PC gaming is that way more often than not you’ll be able to rebind controls quickly and easily.

• Unclepauly says:

Not everyone has the same hand structure. Your argument is invalid.

(Also, my hair is a bird)

• Flopdong says:

What the hell are you talking about? You use your pinky for left shift. If you are using WASD right, your pinky literally sits on left shift all the time. It couldn’t be easier to press

particlese says:

If you’re really liking it in principle but the struggle with the controls is too frustrating, you might try the PS4 version, if that’s a possibility. It’s apparently not part of the free weekend :( , but it is part of the sale, and a streamer or two I was watching last night said something about an uptick in player count recently (even before the sale). The aiming looks really weird to me there, but it does look like it still has the movement down, as one might expect.

5. Machinedrum says:

Is it me or the whole idea being spread about it going to have no playerbase caused the game to have small playerbase. A real catch 22? Or more a like a self fulfilling prophecy. Sad if you ask me

6. Ham Solo says: