Star Wars Battlefront II’s free December DLC revealed

"Beam me up, Scott."

We’ve already been told that Star Wars Battlefront II will hand out expansions, maps and characters for free a la Titanfall 2. But we weren’t totally clued in about what that stuff would be. Well, we are now. Sadly, there are no laser glaives, the iconic weapon beloved by fans. But there are: ships, maps, gear and a campaign expansion. Remember that on top of this two new characters will arrive – the coward and imperial whistleblower Finn, and heroic tin woman Brianne of Tarth Captain Phasma.

The Electronic Artists themselves have laid out their plans for the first wave of bonus bits. But here’s the main takeaway:

“Things kick into high gear on December 13. Your favorite stormtrooper-turned-hero Finn joins the fight for the Resistance and Captain Phasma steps on to the Battlefront for the First Order. They can be purchased with in-game Credits that week. Whichever faction is victorious in completing the most challenges that week will net a reward as well: a special Crate of high-power upgrades for Finn or Captain Phasma.

New locations and vehicles will also arrive. On December 13, the cinematic content from Star Wars: The Last Jedi continues with a new planetary map: Crait. The Starfighter Assault map of D’Qar will join as well, plus a new hero ship – Tallie Lintra’s RZ-2 A-wing. Poe Dameron’s T-70 X-wing is also upgraded with a new ability inspired by Star Wars: The Last Jedi .

Iden Versio returns. In Star Wars Battlefront II Resurrection, you’ll join Commander Iden Versio during the days of the First Order’s rise to power. These new chapters of Star Wars Battlefront II’s single-player story mode will be available December 13.”

As you can see, it’s timed with the release of Star Wars: The Last Jedi in cinemas. But on December 5 you’ll be able to choose a faction – the honourable First Order, or the gangly Corbynistas of the so-called “Resistance”. Either way, we’re told that players will get “specific rewards” based on how well their side performs, and that your faction’s progress will be “reflected in-game”. I don’t know if that means a For Honor style-swapping of some incidental flags to symbolise a larger off-screen victory, or something more meaningful.

EA hope to improve on that assessment, and judging by Matt’s enjoyment of the beta, they may pull it off. We’ll let you know come its release on November 17. Or, if you’re an absolute keener, the ten-hour pre-launch trial is now live on Origin Access, the £4-per-month subscription service. And for the not-that-keen-but-still-quite-keen, the Deluxe Edition is out early, at 11pm on the 13th.

1. Syt says:

‘I didn’t play the previous Star Wars Battlefront, but I just shouted to my brother, who did, and he shouted back: “Overall lacking, boring as fuck, the Stormtroopers were nice? In the end, disappointing.” Thanks, brother.’

– Now I want a “Brendan shouts at his brother about games” column. :D

• SuicideKing says:

This has my full support

• Gribbstar says:

All I’ve played is the beta for 2 but even that was considerably better than the first. If it wasn’t for the fact my 6 year old son loved the first game then it would have been my biggest regret buy of 2015.

I’ve pre-ordered 2 as the beta really did seem to be what I hoped the first would be.

2. Meat Circus says:

“Free” as in lootboxes.

3. King in Winter says:

Everyone should see Krull.

• Regicider 12.4% says:

Disney should buy the Krull IP. Humanity deserves at least an epic of 18 more movies (directed by JJ Abrams) and a couple of hundred spinoff comics, cartoons, books, toys, baby activity centers, the official frozen peas, mobile games and at least a couple of MMORPG’s, MOBA’s and Team Shooties.
      Just imagine the monetization and merchandising opportunities with a setting that rich and diverse.

• Turkey says:

Just rewatched it recently. Still holds up.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I rewatched it some years ago and while I didn’t think it was as epic and fantastic as when I was a kid, it’s still really fun and imaginative. One of the great, weird movies of the 80’s.

Also, Krull in Swedish means “curly hair”, so that adds to the fun factor.

• fish99 says:

Very nice James Horner soundtrack as well, especially the main theme.

4. Kefren says:

Very Krull to tease sci-fi fans in that way, Brendan. Everyone knows that the Glaive isn’t powered by midichlorians and its five light-sabre combo can only be wielded by boldly going where no force has gone before.

5. Stone_Crow says:

Bilbo Bagshot: I was like you once. Blond hair. Scraggly little beard. Childlike ears. Full of beans and spunk. I let my principles get in the way sometimes. I punched a bloke in the face once for saying “Hawk the Slayer” was rubbish.

Tim Bisley: Good for you.

Bilbo Bagshot: Yeah, thanks. But that’s not the point, Tim. The point is I was defending the fantasy genre with terminal intensity, when what I should have said is “Dad, you’re right, but let’s give Krull a try and we’ll discuss it later.”

6. A7ibaba says:

Well,thank you for nothing EA, because you decided to release part of the game for FREE that should be in the game from the beginning

7. bumpkin says:

Have You Played…Krull article when?

8. Spacewalk says:

I can understand why the part where Jared-Syn finally became the Excalibrate and fought the band W.A.S.P. in the power dungeon hasn’t made it to into any of the games yet and that’s a real shame because it’s the best part by three parsecs.

9. Jaggy says:

What a ripoff… here I was thinking there was a new Krull game. So sad…. long live this 80s classic!

10. voidmind says:

« On December 13, the cinematic content from Star Wars: The Last Jedi continues with a new planetary map: Crait. »

They changed the name to Loot Crait *walks away in shame*